01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connecting a sounder to Thermal Camera

cru_technologies

Hi,
We have a client with some DS-2TD1217B-3/PA thermal camera's and he would like to add an additional sounder / flasher unit when the temperature alert is triggered.
So, does anyone have experience of a) what we need to connect to what :) and b) what the settings are on the camera to signal to an external device?
Thanks in advance.
Simon.

Never used those cameras but it should be very simple as they have an alarm output on the harness

a - Needed - 12VDC PSU, 12VDC sounder strobe, 12VDC coil mini relay (optional?). Feed +12VDC to coil of relay, switch 0V to other side of relay coil via the alarm output on the camera. Switch the supply to the sounder using the contacts on the relay. It may be possible to switch the sounder through the camera alarm output directly (without relay) depending on current draw of the sounder but would recommend against. Also maybe put a switch or key switch in line with the sounder so that it can be easily isolated when required.

b - You would just need to set the alarm to trigger at the required temperature threshold and specify the camera alarm output in the trigger actions. Set a dwell time on the alarm output for the duration you want it to trigger for.

Never used those cameras but it should be very simple as they have an alarm output on the harness

a - Needed - 12VDC PSU, 12VDC sounder strobe, 12VDC coil mini relay (optional?). Feed +12VDC to coil of relay, switch 0V to other side of relay coil via the alarm output on the camera. Switch the supply to the sounder using the contacts on the relay. It may be possible to switch the sounder through the camera alarm output directly (without relay) depending on current draw of the sounder but would recommend against. Also maybe put a switch or key switch in line with the sounder so that it can be easily isolated when required.

b - You would just need to set the alarm to trigger at the required temperature threshold and specify the camera alarm output in the trigger actions. Set a dwell time on the alarm output for the duration you want it to trigger for.
I always use a relay, stops the alarm logic board being fried.

I always use a relay, stops the alarm logic board being fried.
When I was interfacing my security lighting controller with the CCTV, I let go of the alarm wires after stripping the outer sheath...the single wire that went to the alarm input on the NVR fell dropped precisely onto a finger proof 230V connection...POP! - No more alarm input 3 then. Fried

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the replies.
Familiar with the camera and NVR setup etc, but treat my like an idiot when it comes to any external connectivity.
@David 'I always us a relay'. OK, I'll use a relay too. What is a relay?
@JB1970 I have a 12V DC Sounder, a 12V DC PSU. I will soon have a 'relay'. If I get the connectivity for the Sounder and the connectivity of the Camera, and the voodoo that is the relay. How do I wire it up :)
Simon.

The usual busy Monday morning here at use-IP towers, but I can offer you this:

Hi Guys,
Familiar with the camera and NVR setup etc, but treat my like an idiot when it comes to any external connectivity.
@JB1970 I have a 12V DC Sounder, a 12V DC PSU. I will soon have a 'relay'. If I get the connectivity for the Sounder and the connectivity of the Camera, and the voodoo that is the relay. How do I wire it up :)
Simon.

Excuse the scrawl

IMG_2814.JPG

Hi Guys,
Simon.
@cru_technologies you don't need to use a relay as long as you respect the limits imposed by the dry contact(?) of the alarm output and nobody else adds to the load. Looking at the camera specs it mentions one alarm output but does not give the max Vdc or current. maybe @Phil @Kyle @JB1970 can help?

for example If Vdc max was 50Vdc and Imax 500mA then a 12Vdc 50mA sounder would be fine.

Looking at the camera specs it mentions one alarm output but does not give the max Vdc or current. maybe @Phil @Kyle @JB1970 can help?
It's strange that is doesn't show the it in the datasheet for that camera, but I have not seen the max to be anything other than 12V DC on the other cameras with alarm outputs, so would be surprised if it is different.

I'll take it to Hikvision and let you know what I hear back :)

It's strange that is doesn't show the it in the datasheet for that camera, but I have not seen the max to be anything other than 12V DC on the other cameras with alarm outputs, so would be surprised if it is different.

I'll take it to Hikvision and let you know what I hear back :)
@Kyle 12Vdc at 30mA its probably designed to energise a relay coil. @cru_technologies what are the electrical specifications of your sounder?

@JB1970 - I do love a diagram. What is the wiggly line (technical term) between the + and the OP/1 ?
@David - the sounder is one of these: Sounder
@Everyone Else - thanks for all the information.
You'd be better with a standard 12V DC sounder - under £20 (from any alarm supplier). You could then very easily get a small boxed 12V DC power supply (from any alarm supplier), mount the sounder on the front lid and pop the relay inside it so that all you need to do is get the site to provide you with a 3 amp unswitched fused connection unit adjacent to the camera location(s).

With that sort of thing I'd normally build the PSU or enclosure offsite, with a pre terminated flex for the power and a length of alarm cable to go to the camera. You can pre test it by plugging it in and shorting the pair on the alarm cable to fire the sounder. All built up ready just to fix in position in minutes on site.

The zig zag between the two points on the relay is the coil. On a plug in base type relay it would generally be pins 2 & 7 or may be marked A1 and A2. The relay is just a switch. Supplying the required voltage to the coil (either side of zig zag) switches the armature position. Plenty of 12V DC coil relays on RS (too many). Get a small Finder one with the required base if you want to avoid soldering to the pins.

RS part number: 351-601 (relay), 400-4129 (relay socket)

Last edited:
Back