01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connectivity between NVR/Hub/Intercom

Tripo

Hi,

I am a new poster on this forum but I already read a lot of threads so, first, thanks a lot! It really helps to understand how to set up my future configuration.

We want to set up a full HikVision system including:
- NVR DS-7608NXI-I2-8P/4S
- 4 outdoor cameras (2*DS-2CD2347G1-LU + 2*DS-2CD2346G1-I-SL)
- 2 inside cameras (2*DS-2CD6412FWD)
- 1 intercom camera (DS-KD8003-IME1
- 2 intercom indoor station (DS-KH8350-WTE1)

We are thinking about NVR with POE support but our configuration requests 9 POE (I don't want to bring power to intercom indoor stations). Should I use NVR with POE and adding a small POE switch or would it be better to have a NVR without POE and a bigger POE switch? Would it change anything about the configuration and the connectivity between all the devices? In case I want to add an eighth camera, I could plug it either on the NVR or the POE switch, right? Could the secondary switch be a problem?
If I get an NVR with POE with 6 cameras on it and I plug a camera and an indoor station on a secondary POE swtich, can the NVR access to the devices on the secondary switch? and also, can this secondary indoor station access to the 6 other cameras on the NVR?

I noticed HikVision has two NVR with similar functionalities: DS-7608NI-I2-8P and DS-7608NXI-I2-8P/4S. According to HikVision website, NXI version seems newer and adds AcuSense functionalities but thanks to the last firmware, all "-I" series have face detection, line crossing... functionalities. Is there any limitation which would explain why I should get a DS-7608NI-I2-8P instead of DS-7608NXI-I2-8P/4S?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Hi @Tripo

Whether you use a small or large PoE Switch with more or less devices connected remotely has very little effect on the performance of the system, it really all comes down to the specifics of your install and the location of the cameras/intercom in relation to the NVR. Based on the list of items you have we would recommend directly connecting the 2 indoor cameras to the NVR (if they are within close range) and connect everything else to 1 or 2 PoE switches and/or individual PoE Injectors.

You can then add any future cameras either directly to the NVR ports or to a free PoE switch port, you can have as many PoE Switches and/or Injectors on your local network as you want and still connect the cameras back to the NVR, the only key things are that those PoE devices must be on the same network as the NVR to be visible to it and you cannot exceed the channel limit of your chosen NVR model (e.g. in this case, 8-channel = max. 8 cameras connected either remotely or directly)

The main difference between those NVR models is that the NXI AcuSense NVR can provide the AcuSesnse functions/features to up to 4 non-AcuSense cameras (that is what the /4S part of the code means), whereas the standard I-series NVR will only support the AcuSense features on AcuSense cameras that are connected to it.

Regarding evolution, do you think it's better to get a NI version supporting 16 cameras or an NXI version supporting 8 cameras?
The first one would let me add more cameras in the future if needed but NXI version might be better for long term support because it's newer. Maybe AcuSense cameras would become more common in the future, meaning this NXI version is more useful for already setting up installations which would like to add AcuSense functionnalities, right?

As far as we are aware there are no plans to bring the AcuSense NVRs to the UK because, just as you said earlier, they support the same AcuSense functions as the current I-series models. So we would recommend the DS-7616NI-I2/16P or the DS-7716NI-I4/16P 16-channel NVRs

AcuSense NVR/NXI models have disabled some functions in comparison to classic NI models - most important they don't have plugin-less live view and less bandwidth... Also they don't receive firmware updates from more that half-year...

It looks that line of NVR was a temporary solution to bring basic AI functions (human/car filtering for 4 max cams) before cameras with that functionality was available/popular... Now this is dead product...

Reactions: Dan
Back