01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Converting Hikvision recordings to a standard format

I have a Hikvision hybrid DVR which generates very proprietary MP4 files. I can get these on to a memory stick and therefore on to my computer but I cannot find any software that will convert to a more standard format. Ideally I want it to run on a Mac but I would settle for a Windows product running on a vuirutal machine if necessary. The only Hikvision software I can find is all in chinese.

Have you tried the Toolbox is Hikvisions VsPlayer?
Works for the NVR formats.

My problem is that I want to edit the files, playback is not sufficient

VsPlayer includes a "Toolbox", it includes tools to split, merge & convert to other formats.

It's capable of converting the Proprietor MP4's to several other formats/

Take a look at it's manual, Page 16.

You can find the latest version in the Download Portal under Software.

The MacOS version of VSPlayer doesn't offer much in its toolbox. No converting options.

The MacOS version of VSPlayer doesn't offer much in its toolbox. No converting options.

Hi,

We are aware of the poor software support for Mac users, I have just tested downloading (using SeaMonkey browser, but it should also be possible from iVMS-4200) a video file from a 2385 camera running H.265+ and the latest firmware. It played ok using VLC 2 (a little bit glitchy but that comes from the compression), also if you need it in another format you can convert the file using VLC.

You can find out more about VLC 2 here and if you need any more help with the downloading or converting process then let us know and we will see if we can help.

H264/H265 recordings are not edit friendly, more so if you are using Hikvision's proprietary H264+ or H265+ as the recorded frames are not self contained. Try convert the footage with FFmpeg.

Hi,

We are aware of the poor software support for Mac users, I have just tested downloading (using SeaMonkey browser, but it should also be possible from iVMS-4200) a video file from a 2385 camera running H.265+ and the latest firmware. It played ok using VLC 2 (a little bit glitchy but that comes from the compression), also if you need it in another format you can convert the file using VLC.

You can find out more about VLC 2 here and if you need any more help with the downloading or converting process then let us know and we will see if we can help.
Hi Dan. Can I just check if there is anyway to get MP4s onto a Mac that will play without converting - either via a USB from the NVR itself, or using IVMS or using any browser to access the NVR over the LAN? Or will I always have to convert? Many thanks!

Hi Dan. Can I just check if there is anyway to get MP4s onto a Mac that will play without converting - either via a USB from the NVR itself, or using IVMS or using any browser to access the NVR over the LAN? Or will I always have to convert? Many thanks!
Not Hikvision MP4s AFAIK. But a clunky occasional workaround might be to view the video in iVMS-4200 on the Mac while using Quicktime Player to create a screen recording of the video window.

Back