01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Darkfighter v Standard with higher MP

OrdinaryJoe

Hi, I've an option of 2 possible cameras for mounting in the front garden (it will on the soffit high up - not ideal height but the only location available). It will cover garden and cars.

Dilemma is a 4MP Darkfighter (DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4 MP - "5" meaning Series G1?) v a 6MP Standard G0 model (DS-2CD2363G0-I 6MP)
Not sure which benefit (Darkfighter or higher MP) is the best option. I have no issue with bandwidth or storage capacity.

Already running 3x DS-2CD2343G0-I 4MP on my system. The new camera is just to bring it up to 4 on the system.

Last edited:
Hi, I've an option of 2 possible cameras for mounting in the front garden (it will on the soffit high up - not ideal height but the only location available). It will cover garden and cars.

Dilemma is a 4MP Darkfighter (DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4 MP - "5" meaning Series G1?) v a 6MP Standard G0 model (DS-2CD2363G0-I 6MP)
Not sure which benefit (Darkfighter or higher MP) is the best option. I have no issue with bandwidth or storage capacity.

Already running 3x DS-2CD2343G0-I 4MP on my system. The new camera is just to bring it up to 4 on the system.

The 2345 is an EasyIP 3.0 camera and the 2363 is an EasyIP 2.0+ camera and so you would expect some big differences but you are correct that the differences between them are actually quite subtle, you have already pointed out that the 2345 has Darkfighter for improved low light performance and the 2363 does not, but there are several other small differences:

The Easy IP 2.0+ cameras have less smart features than Easy IP 3.0.

Easy IP 2.0+ - Line crossing detection, intrusion detection
Easy IP 3.0 - Line crossing detection, intrusion detection, unattended baggage detection, object removal detection

Also the 2.0+ & 3.0 cameras have different Max. frame rates

EasyIP 2.0+ - 12.5fps (when max. resolution is set)
EasyIP 3.0 - 20fps (when max. resolution is set)

Finally, a difference that is often missed, the 3.0 camera has a larger sensor than the 2.0+ camera

2363G0 - 1/2.9" sensor
2345FWD - 1/2.5" sensor

It is only a small difference in size but when we are talking about millions of pixels on each of these sensors even a fractionally larger sensor allows for bigger individual pixels that then allow more light into the sensor improving its low light performance. (as well as the Darkfighter technology)

So in our opinion, you may see a slight improvement during the day with the 6MP 2363 but for all-round performance day and night, we would still recommend the 2345.

The 2345 is an EasyIP 3.0 camera and the 2363 is an EasyIP 2.0+ camera and so you would expect some big differences but you are correct that the differences between them are actually quite subtle, you have already pointed out that the 2345 has Darkfighter for improved low light performance and the 2363 does not, but there are several other small differences:

The Easy IP 2.0+ cameras have less smart features than Easy IP 3.0.

Easy IP 2.0+ - Line crossing detection, intrusion detection
Easy IP 3.0 - Line crossing detection, intrusion detection, unattended baggage detection, object removal detection

Also the 2.0+ & 3.0 cameras have different Max. frame rates

EasyIP 2.0+ - 12.5fps (when max. resolution is set)
EasyIP 3.0 - 20fps (when max. resolution is set)

Finally, a difference that is often missed, the 3.0 camera has a larger sensor than the 2.0+ camera

2363G0 - 1/2.9" sensor
2345FWD - 1/2.5" sensor

It is only a small difference in size but when we are talking about millions of pixels on each of these sensors even a fractionally larger sensor allows for bigger individual pixels that then allow more light into the sensor improving its low light performance. (as well as the Darkfighter technology)

So in our opinion, you may see a slight improvement during the day with the 6MP 2363 but for all-round performance day and night, we would still recommend the 2345.

Thanks Dan, I only really use line crossing or intrusion (and that is really only because i can!) so I doubt I need baggage or removal detection.

I think I knew the Darkfigther would be a better option but wanted to see what others thought!

Back