01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Detached garage

Picasso194

I have a detached garage that I plan to fit 4 cameras. In addition there will be 4 on the house. What options do I have to connect the garage to the recording unit in the house using minimal wiring? Had Hikvision Turbo 2mp at old house, would like better (3 or 4MP) with a couple of very low light units that can identify number plates without wash out at night? Any suggestions?

Hi,
Powerline devices are useful for extending your network to your garage or any other building where you already have mains wiring.
Search results for: 'powerline' ¦ use-IP Ltd

I would then add a 4-port POE switch in your garage to network and power your planned four cameras:
Power Over Ethernet, POE switches, injectors and splitters ¦ use-IP Ltd

To read number plates in the dark we would only ever recommend Hikvision's number plate camera.

For the best low-light cameras, please keep an eye on what's new in the Hikvision webshop category.
We recently added 4mp DarkFighter turret cameras (2345), but soon (before Easter) new product pages for the just-released 8MP DarkFighter turrets will go live:
Hikvision ¦ use-IP Ltd

Hi Phil, I already use powerline in the house so I know they work. A 4 port POE connected to powerline which then connects to powerline in house and cable to switch or NVR? I have a Netgear ProSafe 16 port POE switch that I bought a while back - is that any good to use? TIA

I have a Netgear ProSafe 16 port POE switch that I bought a while back - is that any good to use?
Yes, that should be fine (installed in the garage to power the cameras around the garage).

You simply use powerline to extend your network to the garage.
i.e. The NVR is on your LAN in the house.
You add the cameras to the LAN via powerline.

This might help:

Great thanks. I have a garage consumer unit that feeds back direct to the main fuse board. That will not create any problems will it (passing through a CB?). I need to carefully consider how this all meshes together. With regards to the cameras, I have a mix of lens sizes needed (2.8 through 8mm) and possible turret/dome types mix. I have settled on 4MP as possibly the most cost effective even though a couple only need to be 2mp due to the distance view required, can you recommend the best camera type (must be h265 with WDR).

Great thanks. I have a garage consumer unit that feeds back direct to the main fuse board. That will not create any problems will it (passing through a CB?).
No, that should be fine - it is commonly done.

Within your requirements I would go with the 2345 turret with DarkFighter:
Search results for: '2345' ¦ use-IP Ltd
(you are unlikely to find 8mm cameras, you can opt for motorised zoom cameras which will zoom to 12mm, but are considerably more expensive)

Back