01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do I move from Synology DS to Hikvision NVR

John A

Dear all,
I have been running a Synology DS 713+ with local and far off POE switches. In the early days my workshop cams(over 140 meters from the server) were unreliable on copper cables in duct, so I installed a fibre link between switches to take care of 3 cams, an alarm and a internet connection.
I am thinking of upgrading the system and just using the old Synology for personal files. I can either buy another Synology and keep the fibre or maybe have a Hikvision made for purpose NVR which seem to work smoother from others accounts. To run the fibre it seems that I would need to still have two POE/SFP switches which seems a waste having a Hik NVR or maybe a upper range NVR that carries over distance - the negative with the latter is that Ethernet cables are not rugged and water can get into them in ducts. Ideally a Hikvision with SFP ports would be the answer but I'm sure someone can think of something better on here?
Best regards
John

Hi @John A

As far as we are aware there are no Hikvision NVRs with built-in SFP ports and so I think you will have to stick with the PoE/SFP network switches if you go that route.

I and the rest of our technical team have very little experience with SFP and fibre, possibly someone else here on the forum has greater knowledge of SFP and can make some different recommendations.

Hi @John A

As far as we are aware there are no Hikvision NVRs with built-in SFP ports and so I think you will have to stick with the PoE/SFP network switches if you go that route.

I and the rest of our technical team have very little experience with SFP and fibre, possibly someone else here on the forum has greater knowledge of SFP and can make some different recommendations.

Thank you Dan,

Under normal circumstances do people tend to prefer Hikvision NVRs over NAS drives? - I'm thinking perhaps being perpose made they require less faffing and a better more responsive interface? I could still run two switches but unsure about any bottle neck issue between the NVR and first switch or even if it's 'doable'. Probably be using unnecessary power. I did notice the 16 port Hik-NVRs mention long range on the POE, I wonder how they differ from the 8 port....maybe voltage adjustment with more power available.

For what it is worth, about one year ago I moved from using a Qnap NAS for 16 cameras to a Hikvison NVR - Never looked back, reliability far better, more flexible in use and playback. Dont go for the cheapest, get the best you can afford - the 9 series are superb.

For what it is worth, about one year ago I moved from using a Qnap NAS for 16 cameras to a Hikvison NVR - Never looked back, reliability far better, more flexible in use and playback. Dont go for the cheapest, get the best you can afford - the 9 series are superb.
Excellent, as I suspected but need peoples feedback - it also winds me up that these charlatans make us pay for licences.

I am leaning toward the Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4-16P and relocating somewhere central. Though I don't need 16cams Spec seems a bit better than the 8 channel equivalent. - I don't suppose these are available to the public? DS-9608NI-I8

Last edited:
I don't suppose these are available to the public? DS-9608NI-I8

This is not an item held by the Hikvision UK warehouse, the 9600 series NVRs are only stocked in 32-channels and higher. The 7716 you are looking at is more than enough for the system size you have so we would recommended sticking with that model.

Back