01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Do I need platform access enabled?

TipTopTopTip

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P and currently going through the config process.

I have setup DDNS and NAT'd the ports on my router and I can connect to the NVR and view the cameras remotely (using mobile data, not on the lan/WiFi) using the Hik-Connect App on Android. One thing to note is when adding the device in the Hik-Connect app I added it under visitor mode, I didnt register an account.

Now the bit that has confused me, currently both ISUP and Hik-Connect are disabled under platform access. If I enable Hik-Connect under platform access, what do I gain? Will it just mean I can log into the app and see my device, as well as seeing the devices in the https://www.hik-connect.com/device portal?

Thanks in advance

G

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P and currently going through the config process.

I have setup DDNS and NAT'd the ports on my router and I can connect to the NVR and view the cameras remotely (using mobile data, not on the lan/WiFi) using the Hik-Connect App on Android. One thing to note is when adding the device in the Hik-Connect app I added it under visitor mode, I didnt register an account.

Now the bit that has confused me, currently both ISUP and Hik-Connect are disabled under platform access. If I enable Hik-Connect under platform access, what do I gain? Will it just mean I can log into the app and see my device, as well as seeing the devices in the https://www.hik-connect.com/device portal?

Thanks in advance

G
So it sounds like you've set up your own DDNS and port forwarding? So you will have added the NVR to the Hik-Connect using the domain name, port number, username and password. Connecting that way is more direct and doesn't rely on any external services.

The other method is that you register the device to Hik-Connect. With that method you don't need your own DDNS, you don't need port forwarding (though it's still the best way) and simply logging in to the app will connect to your NVR, but you are going through the Hik-Connect service rather than directly. The main benefit of using the Hik-Connect service, is that without it, you cannot receive push notifications of events to the app - it's a requirement unfortunately.

So it boils down to whether push notifications to your mobile are essential or not. If they are, you'll have to register the NVR to Hik-Connect, if you don't need them you're fine having it set as it is.

My preference is to not use the Hik-Connect service. I'd rather connect directly via DDNS not relying on a service over which I've no control. In addition connecting directly you will view the cameras sub stream or main stream exactly as you have it set, whereas connecting via the Hik-Connect service, the service will manage the connection and adjust the video to suit the connection.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info JB1970.
All makes sense now. I'll stick with my current setting with my own DDNS.

Back