01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do I need to authorize my cameras - all HIK kit.

Graeme

Complete newbie here - just upgraded from an old analog Avtech system to an Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P with a bunch of Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I WDR 4 mm camera's and a couple of the 2.8mm dome versions. Of course I only "skim-read" the manual after connecting everything up and came across a recommendation to authorize the cameras on the system using the SADP utility. Is this really necessary to do since the camera's all run well (plug and play) directly connected to the NVR without me having to do anything like that. I have verified all the latest firmware (had to upgrade the NVR though). The system I've se up with my Dyndns account and can access remotely with the IVMS utility etc.. So, I guess my main question is - Am I leaving myself open to any security network risks in how I've connected the system without running the SADP. Last thing I want is someone getting onto my network which has a NAS connected also. So far very pleased with the system and better than my original idea of using the Synology NAS as the CCTV controller.
Also picked up some very useful tips on this site too - much better than the manual :)

Long story short - don't worry, you've done everything absolutely fine.

Nowadays, Hikvision cameras come inactive. They no longer have a default password, and so that section of the manual covers how to activate them with a strong password using SADP so you can view them on your network or add them across the network to an NVR. When you connect an inactive camera directly to a POE port on an NVR via Plug-and-Play however, the NVR will automatically activate and add the camera using the NVRs own password, meaning you wouldn't have to do so via SADP first.

If you're concerned about network security, you might want to investigate using a VPN rather than port forwarding your NVR / cameras and exposing them to the internet.

Otherwise, yes, Hikvision's manuals tend to be a little sparse - improving slowly though!

Thanks for the info Kieran - first real venture into IP setups and so was a little nervous. And actually the manual is very good, but I guess takes a little more time for the likes of me with no experience with some of the terms that are listed. Some of the features all sound great and it's usually research on these great forums and users like yourself who take the time to share information and experiences which help out newbies like me. Thanks again - much appreciated.

Back