01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do my Main and Sub stream settings look right?

MetalEarth

Hi,

I have been playing around with my video stream settings and wonder if I got them right or what you recommend I change. This is a 4MP 2043 Hikvision camera. I am confused about the Max Bitrate setting. I found a chart for H.264 with recommendations, but did not see anything for H.265. Do my settings make sense?

The chart I found is enclosed.
MainStream.JPG

SubStream.JPG

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Hikvision_tb_bit_rate_chart_120115us.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 711
I recently came to understand that the max bitrate setting is not something that is forced on your camera, it is simply a cap on what the camera is allowed to do. So if you set the main stream max bitrate at 50,000 it does not force your camera to that bitrate - it merely allows it to go that high IF the camera has that capability. In other words, barring some kind of network bandwidth limitation, there is nothing wrong with setting it higher than where you think it should be.

On my system, I found that setting to be far too low for the capabilities of my cameras. I also found that I had to change that setting in the camera interface, not the NVR interface, before it would "save" and take effect.

hi there
I can see the sense in what fullboogie has said above, however ive used IVMS4500HD or its predecessor for a number of years, I don't particularly like hik connect app myself. Whilst your camera and ISP may well upload your data to a DDNS server such as hik-connect or HIDDNS or another ddns server at full framerate and bitrate at some point the data has to go from a hardwired environment to 4G and this is where you might benefit from having a lower framerate, image quality and lower fixed bandwidth as a substream. In the past ive occasionally had trouble getting a clear stream (main stream) (over 4g or H or 3G) whereas switching to a substream has corrected the flow issue albeit at less clarity, but better a good stream than none at all , depending on the actual signal strength.

Back