01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Dome camera for property entrance?

milleniumaire

I've already installed 3 x DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL turret cameras around the outside of my home, connected to a DS-7609NI-I2/8P NVR. I'm now looking for a camera to use in a front door porch as a method of monitoring visitors and communicating with them when I'm away from home. Here's the porch:

20210826_105641.jpg

Because of the light fitting on the right, I was thinking of installing the camera against the ceiling to the left of the door, in the corner, although maybe it should be centred above the door, although I'm not sure if that would then protrude below the top door frame, whereas the corner would be out of the way.

I did consider getting another DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL, but as this will be fixed to the ceiling of the porch and in very close proximity to the visitor, it would be very easy for it to be damaged. It is also quite large and I would prefer something a little smaller. Although the porch is open to the elements, the ceiling never gets wet, so I even wondered if an "internal" camera, which appear to be smaller, would suffice, but I haven't found any with 2 way audio.

I then found the DS-2CD2547G2-LS (C) 4MP ColorVu Fixed mini dome camera, which would at least give some protection. The spec says "Audio I/O" so I assume this means 2 way audio! Also, it doesn't appear to be available in the UK yet!

I also found the DS-2CD2546G2-IS 4MP AcuSense mini dome camera, which appears to be a slightly older (and cheaper) DarkFighter (IR) version i.e. no ColorVu.

I appreciate these cameras are still quite large, but not quite as big as the DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL.

Any thoughts on using the dome camera as a "door entry system"? Are there any cameras that would be good alternatives?

Thanks.

I've already installed 3 x DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL turret cameras around the outside of my home, connected to a DS-7609NI-I2/8P NVR. I'm now looking for a camera to use in a front door porch as a method of monitoring visitors and communicating with them when I'm away from home. Here's the porch:

View attachment 6723

Because of the light fitting on the right, I was thinking of installing the camera against the ceiling to the left of the door, in the corner, although maybe it should be centred above the door, although I'm not sure if that would then protrude below the top door frame, whereas the corner would be out of the way.

I did consider getting another DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL, but as this will be fixed to the ceiling of the porch and in very close proximity to the visitor, it would be very easy for it to be damaged. It is also quite large and I would prefer something a little smaller. Although the porch is open to the elements, the ceiling never gets wet, so I even wondered if an "internal" camera, which appear to be smaller, would suffice, but I haven't found any with 2 way audio.

I then found the DS-2CD2547G2-LS (C) 4MP ColorVu Fixed mini dome camera, which would at least give some protection. The spec says "Audio I/O" so I assume this means 2 way audio! Also, it doesn't appear to be available in the UK yet!

I also found the DS-2CD2546G2-IS 4MP AcuSense mini dome camera, which appears to be a slightly older (and cheaper) DarkFighter (IR) version i.e. no ColorVu.

I appreciate these cameras are still quite large, but not quite as big as the DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL.

Any thoughts on using the dome camera as a "door entry system"? Are there any cameras that would be good alternatives?

Thanks.
Hi - apologies I meant to respond to your query in the other thread the other day. I'd still recommend either a 2346G2-ISU/SL or a 2347G2-ISU/SL. Although other models have Audio I/O - some (not/all) simply present this at a terminal block, so you'd need to source a suitable microphone and wire in a speaker via an amplifier to get the same results. So first check the data sheets for those two models (I've not used them previously) to whether they have an integral microphone and/or speaker or just a terminal block for connecting your own.

So, now I've completed testing the setup of my existing cameras and got email, events and the microphones working, I'm ready to purchase and install my final camera, which will be fitted in the porch as shown in my opening post.

I think I'm going to stick with ColorVu and go for the DS-2CD2547G2-LS (C) 4MP ColorVu Fixed mini dome camera because it would be better for it to be fixed to the porch ceiling (easier to run and hide cables in the cavity above the ceiling) and because being a dome camera it will give some protection from vandalism.

My only outstanding issue, is whether to go for a 2.8mm or a 4mm lens, although availability may dictate going for the 2.8mm.

I'm aware that the depth of field specified for this camera is from 2.8m for the 2.8mm and from 3.2m for the 4mm. I'm only interested in this camera capturing close ups of the faces of visitors so initially I thought 2.8mm would be best, but I'm now wondering if 4mm might give a closer and clearer image, although when closest to the door, visitors would only be about a metre from the camera, which may result in a blurry picture for both cameras!

Any thoughts on 2.8mm or 4mm lenses?

So, now I've completed testing the setup of my existing cameras and got email, events and the microphones working, I'm ready to purchase and install my final camera, which will be fitted in the porch as shown in my opening post.

I think I'm going to stick with ColorVu and go for the DS-2CD2547G2-LS (C) 4MP ColorVu Fixed mini dome camera because it would be better for it to be fixed to the porch ceiling (easier to run and hide cables in the cavity above the ceiling) and because being a dome camera it will give some protection from vandalism.

My only outstanding issue, is whether to go for a 2.8mm or a 4mm lens, although availability may dictate going for the 2.8mm.

I'm aware that the depth of field specified for this camera is from 2.8m for the 2.8mm and from 3.2m for the 4mm. I'm only interested in this camera capturing close ups of the faces of visitors so initially I thought 2.8mm would be best, but I'm now wondering if 4mm might give a closer and clearer image, although when closest to the door, visitors would only be about a metre from the camera, which may result in a blurry picture for both cameras!

For a porch camera directly adjacent the door I’d be inclined to go with the 2.8mm. It’s one of the few times I’ll use the 2.8 due to its 105 degree horizontal field of view. I think for a camera at the door it’s better to see most of the caller in view and some of the approach rather than a floating head and shoulders. When I read the spec sheet and saw the depth of field figures for the turret version I was a little concerned but it’s acceptably sharp and certainly doesn’t look soft.

I've recently bought one of these for an enclosed porch and the 2.8mm was fine for me. Admittedly my situation is different as I have an outer door but even inside the porch at 1m or more from the camera I hadn't noticed any very significant blurring so you might be OK. Less than 1m it would be blurred but not so bad you couldn't see who it was.

Note that the camera has a built in mic but it doesn't have a built in speaker and as already mentioned you will have to sort that out yourself with the terminal blocks provided on the camera leads.

Thanks daveb, I hadn't picked up on the fact that this dome camera only had a microphone and not a speaker. That's a real shame as I thought it had everything I needed! This morning I was planning to order a 2.8mm version of it and it would have been very frustrating to have received the camera and realised it wasn't fit for purpose.

I suspect I might struggle to get power to the porch to for a powered amp/speaker, so I may need to look for something else.

Given that this camera is POE, I wonder if there is any way the cat6 cable I'm using or the camera itself could power a speaker so that additional cables aren't required. I'll have to do some research.

Have you considered the Hikvision door station products like this one: https://www.use-ip.co.uk/hikvision-ds-kis603-p-video-intercom-pro-door-station-kit.html ?

If you don't mind me saying, you have a lovely looking porch and I would myself be reluctant to put anything larger in there just because you needed something with a speaker.

I've not used the door station products myself but the spec. sheet seems to show they are POE and therefore I assume can connect to your NVR. It certainly says you can connect to the camera and talk to visitors using the same Hik-Connect app as the cameras would be using.

Have you considered the Hikvision door station products like this one: https://www.use-ip.co.uk/hikvision-ds-kis603-p-video-intercom-pro-door-station-kit.html ?

If you don't mind me saying, you have a lovely looking porch and I would myself be reluctant to put anything larger in there just because you needed something with a speaker.

I've not used the door station products myself but the spec. sheet seems to show they are POE and therefore I assume can connect to your NVR. It certainly says you can connect to the camera and talk to visitors using the same Hik-Connect app as the cameras would be using.
I did originally look at the Hikvision door bells, but I don't need a screen, so felt their door stations were overkill. Also, while I can easily get a cable into the void above my porch ceiling, it would be very difficult to run one down to a door bell without it being visible, so that also puts me off. I'm also not sure if they can be configured to record on my NVR.

So, I have a lot of unknowns about the door station, whereas installing a camera in the porch ceiling is relatively straight forward, but obviously I need 2-way communication.

I was planning to fit the camera in the top left corner of the porch ceiling, which is visible in the photo I took, however, it wouldn't be noticeable at all when walking upto the house as the drive entrance is to the left of the porch, so only when you reach the porch would you see the camera. If I were able to install a flush fitting ceiling mounted white speaker, I suspect this would blend in. I have some ceiling mounted speakers in the house and you don't really notice them.

There's a large void above the porch ceiling (the V of the roof), so I could potentially put an amp in there, and it may be possible to run a power cable from the porch to the garage, which is just to the left of the porch (this is the route the cat6 cable would take). Obviously, this is all additional expense has hassle as I incorrectly thought this dome camera included 2 way communication.

Last edited:
Back