01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Downgrading firmware on G1 from v5.6.0 to v5.5.83

StewartM

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
I recently updated the firmware on my G1 DS-2CD2025FWD-I from v5.5.83 to v5.6.0 build 190507. I'm trying to revert back to v5.5.83. I'm unable to do it via the webGUI (version mismatch error) or TFTP (completes transfer but never confirms update). Has anyone managed to downgrade successfully?

Didn't Hik stop the ability to downgrade with one of the firmware updates? Perhaps that is your issue.

I was able to freely upgrade and downgrade the firmware provided I used anything from v5.5.0 up to v5.5.83. This is a new issue with v5.6.0. According to posts from others my situation is not unique.

I wasn't aware that there was a restriction in this latest firmware that prevented downgrading, normally I'd expect Hikvision to state this in the Release Notes.

Good question, from my side here are a few examples. Custom applications using the SDK need to be tested before we rollout the new firmware to clients. Occasionally the new firmware breaks functionality or introduces bugs that were not present in previous versions. I use a test NVR/camera for this reason to ensure functionality before updating client systems.

Another example was v4.1.70 for the 7700 I series NVR. Upon sending an email alert the NVR would reboot. Hikvision removed the firmware fairly promptly from their portal. Downgrading to v4.1.65/64 resolved the issue.
The G1 series firmware v5.6.62 had issues with smart events not triggering. At least I could downgrade/upgrade in both cases.

A YouTube search for ‘Hikvision v5.6.0’ provides several examples another user has encountered. They may be unique to his environment but not having the option to downgrade is concerning. To make matters worse, using Hikvision’s emergency firmware recovery tool (via TFTP) to load an older firmware can brick the device.

I’m hoping to hear from someone that has managed to downgrade successfully and how they accomplished it. I contacted Hikvision’s technical support but was told they were not aware of the issue and would get back to me. I’ll continue to experiment with different methods and post an update if I have any luck.

Take care of the latest firmware version V5.6.0_Build190507 for DS-2CD2055FWD-I G1 platform

No samba running after updating version V5.6.0_Build190507 even if you reset the camera to the factory settings can not make any downgrade from the web interface I do not recommend this version V5.6.0_Build190507 to anyone for G1 platform

the best version so far remains V5.5.83_Build190221 work fine

in firmware version V5.6.0_Build190507 can not be registered on server nas through SMB/CIFS not work

only on micro sd card

it's very sad what hikvision did in this version have ruined everything

can not return to the previous version

Do not update to surveillance cameras to this version not always what's new is good

Last edited:
Hi Armano - I've tried numerous times with the usual tools and methods without success. I was hoping Hikvision addressed the issue in the latest firmware released today (v5.6.1) alas not.

Hi Armano - I've tried numerous times with the usual tools and methods without success. I was hoping Hikvision addressed the issue in the latest firmware released today (v5.6.1) alas not.

Can you tell me if SMB / CIFS works in this version 5.6.1_Build190604?

In version V5.6.0_Build190507 SMB / CIFS does not work server nas registration video record only goes to micro sd card

Answer from hikvision I sent mail to them

Attachments

• hikvision tehnic.jpg
    hikvision tehnic.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 574
I can't say. Hopefully someone else will be able to test it. Nothing is mentioned in the release notes.

Back