01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2385 Night Vision Image - Poor Picture

Dibs

I've changed from a DS-2Cd2342WD-I (with latest firmware v5.5.82 build) set at highest quality, 15fps, H264+ ON, Bitrate of variable and with everything else at default (did a reset), which gave the following night time image

2342_nightTime.JPG

to a DS-2CD2385-FWD-I (firmware is latest at v5.6.5 build 200316) with the video set at Quality Highest, Bitrate Variable, H.265+ ON and all other things at default and the night time picture is;

2385_nightTime.JPG

All things being equal - i.e. the quality etc settings, I was expecting at least the same picture. The NVR is a DS-7608NI-I2/8P on v4.40.017 build 201124 firmware (latest). It's the only camera on the NVR and is plugged into the POE ports in the back of the NVR.

Can anybody advise? [I have and am continuing to search thru the forums.]

Many Thanks

Dibs

I've changed from a DS-2Cd2342WD-I (with latest firmware v5.5.82 build) set at highest quality, 15fps, H264+ ON, Bitrate of variable and with everything else at default (did a reset), which gave the following night time image

View attachment 5301

to a DS-2CD2385-FWD-I (firmware is latest at v5.6.5 build 200316) with the video set at Quality Highest, Bitrate Variable, H.265+ ON and all other things at default and the night time picture is;

View attachment 5302

All things being equal - i.e. the quality etc settings, I was expecting at least the same picture. The NVR is a DS-7608NI-I2/8P on v4.40.017 build 201124 firmware (latest). It's the only camera on the NVR and is plugged into the POE ports in the back of the NVR.

Can anybody advise? [I have and am continuing to search thru the forums.]

Many Thanks

Dibs

It looks like you’ve either got some stray light shining into the lens or possibly there’s some moisture on the lens causing the fogging. From the pics the viewing angle is very similar so light shouldn’t be causing it. There shouldn’t be any condensation issues with a turret though. Have a look at it and give it a wipe over with a micro fibre cloth. There’s nothing that will sort that out in the settings.

It looks like you’ve either got some stray light shining into the lens or possibly there’s some moisture on the lens causing the fogging. From the pics the viewing angle is very similar so light shouldn’t be causing it. There shouldn’t be any condensation issues with a turret though. Have a look at it and give it a wipe over with a micro fibre cloth. There’s nothing that will sort that out in the settings.
Many thanks for the reply. The 2385 is or was brand new and sat in the box (in a warm place) since I bought it.

Playing about with the BLC did help but the image was\is nowhere as good as the 2342 - just been back out and swapped them over.

I've got the 2385 in my hand at the moment and looking at it closely - nothing seems amiss, no moisture, nothing on the lens or between the lens and the outer glass. The daytime picture was awesome.

The fogging I think is\was IR ounce or saturation (or whatever the term is) on the wall (in the left of the picture). I did alter the Smart Supplement Light from OFF to manual at set it to 30M and set BLC to cover the left hand area (window & door in picture) and that did help but still couldn't get the picture quality anywhere close to the 4MP 2342.

On the 2385 - the best I could get altering the Smart Supplement Light to Manual & 30M and setting the BLC to left was:

2385_2.JPG

all other things staying at default (apart from those mentioned in the original post, i.e. quality, H265+ etc).

Whereas putting the 2342 back in the same spot and identical settings (where possible), I get:

2342_2.JPG

There is no external or outside lighting on the drive and the quality of the night time pictures is worlds apart.

I'm stumped as to why the difference. I did find mentions from a few Google searches that the 2385 in night time, the quality of the pictures isn't as good as the 4MP 2342.

I plan to fit the 2385 to the front of the house (no nearby wall to reflect IR back) and see if the night time pictures improve.

On the 2385 - the best I could get altering the Smart Supplement Light to Manual & 30M and setting the BLC to left was:

View attachment 5304

all other things staying at default (apart from those mentioned in the original post, i.e. quality, H265+ etc).

Whereas putting the 2342 back in the same spot and identical settings (where possible), I get:

View attachment 5305

There is no external or outside lighting on the drive and the quality of the night time pictures is worlds apart.

I'm stumped as to why the difference. I did find mentions from a few Google searches that the 2385 in night time, the quality of the pictures isn't as good as the 4MP 2342.

I plan to fit the 2385 to the front of the house (no nearby wall to reflect IR back) and see if the night time pictures improve.

Just try it on a patch lead inside the house with the lights out - if it’s the same it’s faulty. If the focus is slightly out it will be more apparent at night with IR on. I’ve had one previously where the focus was out on one side of the image only due to the back face of the lens being skewed on the sensor

@Dibs this may be to do with dirt or dust on the "glass", this would cause the light from the ir to flood the lens causing your reported issue. if it works with day light, and external lighting, then i would guess its dust that is your problem.

Just try it on a patch lead inside the house with the lights out - if it’s the same it’s faulty. If the focus is slightly out it will be more apparent at night with IR on. I’ve had one previously where the focus was out on one side of the image only due to the back face of the lens being skewed on the sensor
@JB1970 - thanks for the reply & I wish I'd thought of that. ;)

Anyway plugging it into the back of the NVR with a longish lead and propping it down in front of the TV stand, facing the room and making sure nothing was nearby to reflect the IR, I got

Lit room:

2385_room_lit.JPG

I've cropped the image somewhat. Then switched the light off and it went to:

Light off (just turned off):

2385_off.JPG

The outside light just peeking in from the curtains. Then about 60s later the IR fired up (Day\Night Switch - Filtering Time = 60s) and I got,

Dark Room (IR on):

2385_dark.JPG

in a pitch black room - exactly the kind of picture I was expecting, so I think the camera isn't faulty. Why the night time picture was poor outside, I have no idea.

Craig_A - cheers for the reply. Inside the camera behaved as expected, so doubt there's any dust etc on the glass, lens.

So none the wiser about the poor picture outside.

Cheers

Dibs

Ok so it's definitely not the camera at fault. Even though the position is similar to the previous camera it looks like something is reflecting the IR back into the lens of the camera. Is the camera mounted beneath the soffit? My best guess would be that it is reflecting off a nearby white uPVC drainpipe or the soffit fascia board. I had issues with one that I fitted on a soffit that had a recess - the IR reflected back off the front fascia which protruded down about 25mm despite the lens of the camera being lower and appearing to clear that lip. In that instance I had to space it using a backbox.

Last edited:
Ok so it's definitely not the camera at fault. Even though the position is similar to the previous camera it looks like something is reflecting the IR back into the lens of the camera. Is the camera mounted beneath the soffit? My best guess would be that it is reflecting off a nearby white uPVC drainpipe or the soffit fascia board. I had issues with one that I fitted on a. soffit that had a recess - the IR reflected back off the front fascia which protruded down about 25mm despite the lens of the camera being lower and appearing to clear that lip. In that instance I had to space it using a backbone.

Sorry for the reply reply - been out all day.

The bit I've highlighted in bold - there might be a bit of that. It's placed vertically in line with a ridge on a gable side. There are 2 fascia boards that meet at the ridge. It sits right under where these 2 boards meet.

Like in the following photo (not my house LOL), where the red circle is (the camera is wall mounted:

gable end.jpg

The front face of the camera is probably slightly more than halfway between the rear face of the fascia and the front face - the edges of the fascia might be interfering with the IR.

The 2342 had about an 1/2 inch clearance between the edge of the front and the fascia board lip, whereas the 2385 was touching the lip and hence the issue\s.

I'm tempted to screw a piece of 1 inch plywood to the wall and then fit the camera to that (pushing the front face forward of the fascia's front surface and see if that cures the issue.

Hopefully something for later this week - will report back on how I get on.

Many Thanks

Dibs

Last edited:
Back