01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2385G1-I - Not responding

puntoboy

Had this camera for just under a year now and a few days ago I noticed that when I went into the app or tried to view the live feed on my monitor, neither would connect.

On my PC I've tried to connect to it using the SADP tool and IE but this also failed.

I noticed that the network port on the switch it was connected to showed a PoE light but the network light would flash for a second or so, then go off, then a couple of seconds later it was flash again, on repeat. Tried several other ports on the same switch, no joy. I don't have another PoE switch so I connected it to my other switch using a PoE injector (that I know works) but I notice the same light behaviour, the network activity light with come on for a second or so, then go off.

I'm going to whip it off the wall and try a factory reset of it later on, I'll also try a 12v PSU to see if it's just the PoE that's failed. Failing that, is there anything else I can try? Or is it goosed and I need to return it?

Check the camera end connection first. Moisture can get in the connector housing. If it has you'll likely see the pins of the RJ45 socket look burnt where the moisture has caused a short. If you have a look in the sticky threads, Dan did a post some time ago regarding the need to further seal the connector assembly with self amalgamating tape or similar to prevent water damage.

Hmm. Well you’re right, burnt pins. Strange as I’ve been running Hik cameras for several years now and this is the first one to go. Should need additional protection IMO.

Attachments

• 092E5257-8152-4AE3-9F4C-EA480DDD31ED.jpeg
    092E5257-8152-4AE3-9F4C-EA480DDD31ED.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 190
Hmm. Well you’re right, burnt pins. Strange as I’ve been running Hik cameras for several years now and this is the first one to go. Should need additional protection IMO.

I've had it on one of mine. I gave the pins a careful scrape with a very fine screwdriver to clean them up and it's working fine. I still generally don't seal the connector when installing them - as you say, the enclosure, gasket, compression gland should seal it sufficiently but as Dan states in his post it wouldn't be covered by warranty. There are a few posts on here with the various pinout configurations if you want to cut it off, crimp on an RJ45 and use a straight through coupler.

It looks like there's no rubber gasket on your connector in the photo.

The gasket stuck to the other side of the connector when I disconnected it.

I’ve order a waterproof RJ45 coupler which should be here tomorrow.

I’ve seen the pinouts so fingers crossed I can get it working again. The 3rd PIN has completely gone. It’s strange as we moved house earlier this year so that camera has only been installed for 6 months at the current house.

The gasket stuck to the other side of the connector when I disconnected it.

I’ve order a waterproof RJ45 coupler which should be here tomorrow.

I’ve seen the pinouts so fingers crossed I can get it working again. The 3rd PIN has completely gone. It’s strange as we moved house earlier this year so that camera has only been installed for 6 months at the current house.

It could just be that when it’s been moved to it’s new location, the connector has ended up orientated such that moisture could run along the cable into the connector housing

Where is the connector out of interest?

Installed mine several weeks ago bit mine goes straight into the soffit (UPVC) so I’m hoping / assuming isn’t going to get any kind of damage from the elements.

Where is the connector out of interest?

Installed mine several weeks ago bit mine goes straight into the soffit (UPVC) so I’m hoping / assuming isn’t going to get any kind of damage from the elements.

That’ll be fine you’ll have no issues there. On the older FWD-I models it was possible to coil the cable and sit the connector in the recess between the camera and wall. The connector would readily get wet then.

Thanks - that’s good to hear! I have the same cameras as in the thread, but to install we’ve done a 20mm hole in the soffit to get the pigtail through, this is obviously drilled though in the middle of the cameras base as such, so all the cable and connection sit inside my new upvc soffits.

All fixed. New RJ45 connector on it.

I have a waterproof RJ45 coupler bit it’s pretty big and I don’t want to make the hole in the wall any bigger than it currently is so I’ll have to get a mounting box for it. Unless I can find another, smaller coupler.

Attachments

• 9B2804CA-538D-4B41-83DD-E8A9474FC62F.jpeg
    9B2804CA-538D-4B41-83DD-E8A9474FC62F.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 171
  • 6BBB57BD-4FC5-44F7-BBAC-82B084ABDC7D.jpeg
    6BBB57BD-4FC5-44F7-BBAC-82B084ABDC7D.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 338A9C62-A370-4A81-A16D-76A7D54DB0D7.jpeg
    338A9C62-A370-4A81-A16D-76A7D54DB0D7.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 168
Back