01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD4A24FWD vs. DS-2CD4A26FWD for LPR

carrerga

Does anybody have any experience with the DS-2CD4A24FWD camera for reading license plates? I have the DS-2CD4A26FWD 8mm to 32mm lens but I could use a bit more zooming. Why are the 4A25 and 4A26 always mentioned when talking about LPR, but not the 4A24. The 4A24 has a much higher zoom range so it seems that it should be more popular since it would allow for more flexible mounting. Has anybody used the 4A24 for this purpose? I just need to read the plate from the video not necessarily ANPR.

HikVision only produce ANPR firmware for the 4A25 and 4A26.
Without this firmware your camera would not show plates at all times.
i.e. it won't manage reflected light from number plates well.

Considering that I don't need the ANPR software, are the 25 and 26 any better than the 24 as far as being able to pause the video and read the license plate, day or night?

Yes.
The ANPR firmware sets them up to cope well with number plates in the dark, even with car headlights on.

Phil, I have 4A26 with the license plate recognition disabled and there is no difference in the quality of the image from when it's enabled. In my opinion, what really matters is the shutter speed, focus and IR settings, which are settings these cameras have regardless of whether the ANPR firmware is installed. I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has actually tried the 4A24 to read license plates and compared it to either of the other two models to accomplish the same task.

I'm afraid I'd never heard of the 4A24 until you mentioned it.
I asked the team to check availability (because that super-long zoom could be really useful).
They tell me it is marked as End Of Life (EOL).

Back