01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD6D54FWD-IZHS Issues with Blue Iris

Kraquin

I purchased the subject unit about a month ago. It works fine if I use the webview or iVMS-4200 although with some recording issues that I have yet to figure out. If I use Blue Iris one or all of the cameras in the unit will periodically freeze for a few seconds, leave momentary video artefacts from things like passing cars or display a thin band of horizontal pixilation (but doesn't freeze or leave other artefacts). These problems seem to vary from camera to camera within the unit depending on if I have monkeyed around with hardware acceleration through BI. I also have a DS-2DE7530IW-AE hooked up to BI and I have used DS-2CD2232-I5 and DS-2CD2322WD-I with no issue.

Things I have done:
Taken the unit down and used a 3ft Cat7 cable from the unit to the switch (switch is gigabit capable and connects to a cctv dedicated machine)
Ran BI on a different machine
Updated firmware
Switched POE midspans
Reduced frame rates to 5fps
Reduced resolution to 720p
Turned hardware acceleration off for all 4 cameras in the unit
Checked the stream with VLC
possibly other things that I can't remember

Nothing affected the issues.

I'd really like to get this solved with BI as it's the most user friendly vms I have used.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I'm afraid we have no experience with Blue Iris.
Perhaps try their Support/Forums.

You've tried lots of sensible things.
Did you check and get the latest available firmware from Hikvision's portals/website (sometimes newer versions at UK/EU)?

Were the different machines significantly different?
AMD/Intel?
Graphics?
Driver updates?

I'm afraid we have no experience with Blue Iris.
Perhaps try their Support/Forums.

You've tried lots of sensible things.
Did you check and get the latest available firmware from Hikvision's portals/website (sometimes newer versions at UK/EU)?

Were the different machines significantly different?
AMD/Intel?
Graphics?
Driver updates?

Thanks for the response

I'll have to doublecheck where I got the latest firmware. I don't think it was on the UK site.

The machines were different ………. the cctv machine used an intel i5-8000 series chip, no graphics card and auto updates. The other machines uses an i7-4000 series chip and a high end graphics card, everything updated. So yes, I believe enough of a difference to rule out an issue with the machine.

I have had some correspondence with the BI techs, they have been very helpful but stumped as well.

Just to clarify, which PC that is having the issue - the i7-4000 series or the i5-8000 series? What is the full model of the processor and please specify which high end gfx card it has. Also, please post your format settings window from BI.

Just to clarify, which PC that is having the issue - the i7-4000 series or the i5-8000 series? What is the full model of the processor and please specify which high end gfx card it has. Also, please post your format settings window from BI.

The same issues showed up regardless of the machine.

Is this what you wanted to see?

Ic0aQJt.jpg

Yes, that helps. Matching the Frame Rate and I Frame rate is important. Have you increased your Receive Buffer and disabled RTP/UDP ports.

What are your settings here?

Try disabling Hardware accelerated decode.

Finally the integrated Intel GPU is known to be an issue with Blue Iris - "The Quick Sync Video Memory Leak" and requires version specific drivers to remedy. Keep us posted.

Yes, that helps. Matching the Frame Rate and I Frame rate is important. Have you increased your Receive Buffer and disabled RTP/UDP ports. Finally the integrated Intel GPU is known to be an issue with Blue Iris - "The Quick Sync Video Memory Leak" and requires version specific drivers to remedy. Keep us posted.

Matched your settings and updated the driver. No change.

I think I have gotten rid of the thin pixelated horizontal line. I went in my BIOS and checked the video setting. It was set on Auto so I changed it to Intel HD. I still have the frequent freezing problem though........... especially when a car enters the scene.

Last edited:
My guess would be the Intel driver. Load a driver known to work with BI.
Other things to try:
  • Lower the bitrate on the cameras, try 2048 as a test
  • Turn DNR down to 30 on the cameras
  • Limit live preview rate to 10 (helps with CPU usage)

Thanks for the suggestions
About the only thing I can say about those changes is it might freeze a little less and the horizontal line is back

Are you using a purchased version of BI or the demo? Reason I ask, there is a known issue with using BVR on the demo version. Also, which OS are you running? BI has some quirks depending on the OS.

Are you using a purchased version of BI or the demo? Reason I ask, there is a known issue with using BVR on the demo version. Also, which OS are you running? BI has some quirks depending on the OS.

I'm using a purchased version of BI on a Win10 machine.

Let's try a few other changes to narrow the issue down.

On the camera:
Set the Bitrate Type to Variable
Set bitrate to 2048
Lower the Frame and the I Frame Interval to 10

Make sure the camera does not have any events or smart events enabled, specifically Motion Detection OFF.
Under Configuration>Image, turn off all the BackLight settings. WDR mainly, but disable BLC and HLC if your camera supports those settings.

Then match the new settings in BlueIris under the camera properties.
Size and max rate match the cameras resolution and frame rate.
Hardware accelerated decode NO
Enable Overlays unticked (it has to re-encode the frames if enabled)
BVR unticked
Limit Decoding unticked

See if that makes a difference. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I'll try this today. Your suggestion got me to thinking that I could also disable 3 of the 4 channels coming out of the unit and see how BI behaves in that configuration.

Well it's not freezing and the intermittent pixelated horizontal line is still there but has moved down to the bottom of the screen. I had messed with the bit rate before and the higher the bit rate the further up the screen the line appears. Also I enabled only one of the 4 cameras in the unit and that did not make a difference.

The intriguing thing is that if I had all 4 cameras activated maybe 2 of them would have the horizontal line and not freezing while the other 2 would be freezing but no horizontal line. It was random as to which cameras exhibited the behavior.

After I made those changes above I went into BI and changed the buffer from 6 to 20 and it started freezing and the horizontal line was gone. Now I know if I go back into BI and reselect Hardware accelerated decode to No even though it is already No it will stop freezing and the horizontal line will come back.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I upgraded BI the same time I installed this unit and ever since then I have had to log in using the Administrator exe file. If I start BI using the non Admin exe file (like I used to) Camera Properties, Options and Remote Access, and Add Camera won't be available.

------------

I take back what I said about the position of the horizontal line. After checking it this morning it has moved to the top 3rd of the screen. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for any of it that I have been able to discern.

Last edited:
Back