01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-3E1309P-EI Range

UCCCTV

I have been doing only domestic CCTV installs but have got a job installing 12 cams round a small block of flats. Some of the Cat 6 runs may be over 90m +. I had planned to install the above Hik switch at a suitable midway point but it claims to be able to support up to 300m.

Can anyone confirm if i can use it from the NVR end and simply attach the longer runs to it rather than find a midway point for it which is doable but more work.

Does it do what it says on the tin?

Hi @UCCCTV

Which camera models are you planning to install at the 90m+ distances?

The extended mode does allow you to extend the camera connection to 300m but it does constrict the port bandwidth capacity to 10Mbps each, so with top-spec 8MP models you may see issues running the cameras at top spec as from our testing they use around 15-20Mbps even when using H.265+

If you are not using 8MP cameras and the switch is connected to the local network (not directly into the PoE ports on the NVR) then it should be possible to make those 90m+ cable runs.

Hi Dan, i am using 4 x 4mp colourvu G2 cameras on these runs. i do have some 8mp bullets but they are about 10m max from the NVR.

i should add that there is no network there it's just an NVR with no broadband as it's in a locked cupboard in a flats ground floor area.

if this is an issue would there also be an issue using it at a midway point as well where the runs are 60m maybe? The switch can only plug into the NVR as there is no Router etc although i can easily add one there just won't be broadband

Last edited:
Yeah 4MP cameras running on H.265/H.265+ CODEC should be fine, the issue is going to be directly connecting to the NVR PoE ports because the extended 300m mode is a smart feature that you can only enable by logging into the switch, which you can't do when it is directly connected to the NVR.

Your only option would be to use a PoE extender like this D-Link model which can be placed somewhere along the connection between the NVR ports and the camera to push the PoE beyond the 90m limit.

Ah ok thanks. If i just run the switch at a safe mid point under 60m with a cat 6 link straight to NVR poe port this will work then?

also i can't just access the smart feature from a pc and turn it on?

No, an extender is different to a switch

If you place the switch at the 60m midpoint the original PoE/network signal from the NVR PoE port will just pass through the switch and start to drop off at the 90m limit of a network signal, but if you put an extender in instead of the switch the PoE signal will be boosted as it passes through the extender and pushed on up to another 90-100m from that point, giving you a max. range in your example of 150-160m.

ok so sorry stupid question i would need 2 x extender to run 4 cams as it's got 2 x ethernet ports?

See the D-Link product datasheet for a diagram explaining how extenders work, if the cable runs are not longer than 200m then you should only need one extender per camera (100m produced by the initial NVR PoE port and a further 100m produced by the extender), if you need to go beyond 200m then you would need to add an extender at each 100m point. (but do be aware that the PoE supply does drop the further you go - e.g. at 200m it is 22W)

Back