01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR playback using HTTP versus HTTPS?

StuartW

DS-7608NI-I2/8P
V4.51.005 build 210628

with:

1. DS-2CD2365G1-I - V5.6.5 build 200316
2. DS-2CD2355FWD-I - V5.6.5 build 200316
3. DS-2CD2355FWD-I - V5.6.5 build 200316
4. DS-2CD2555FWD-IS -V5.6.5 build 200316

I've update my ageing NVR for a DS-7608NI-I2/8P and have noted some interesting behaviour.

If configured using HTTP I can get live view and playback on Safari on Mac (I thought this hadn't worked for a while?) and Chrome on Windows. I can however only view one Stream1 at a time (the other 3 cameras will fail to view), can not playback more that one synchronous stream at all, but can view all four on stream2 in a 2x2 window.

If changing the config to HTTPS, view playback on Safari and chrome fails, only working on IE with the plugin installed.

All cameras playback if using the NAT'd address (192.168.254.x) directly on all browsers.

Also noted as an aside, if the new NVR is left as Plug&Play, the default gateway (manually entered) does not survive a reboot. Granted, the cameras were not defaulted from the configuration when on the previous NVR (should this matter?), but turning off Plug&Play and setting manual makes this work, so that I can send emails directly from the cameras.

Is this normal behaviour? I'm wondering if this is the cause of issues with Mac browsers? I've tried importing the certificate, but that didn't help.

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @StuartW

This appears to be an issue with the latest firmware and the plug-in free solution Hikvision has been working on to get their systems working on modern browsers. To me, it looks like they may have limited the ability for multiple streams of 4MP or higher cameras to be shown in mainstream and this decision has probably been taken to make the browser performance more stable. I will double-check with Hikvision support but this is likely the case.

Hi @StuartW

This appears to be an issue with the latest firmware and the plug-in free solution Hikvision has been working on to get their systems working on modern browsers. To me, it looks like they may have limited the ability for multiple streams of 4MP or higher cameras to be shown in mainstream and this decision has probably been taken to make the browser performance more stable. I will double-check with Hikvision support but this is likely the case.
Thanks @Dan

Hi @StuartW

This is the response we received from Hikvision support:

"NVR will allocate a main stream and sub stream buffer for each preview channel, with fixed sizes. If the size of a single IPC frame exceeds the size of the buffer, or the amount of data is too large, the buffer will be overwritten by subsequent data in a short time, which will cause a black screen in the remote preview. If the customer could reduce the bit rate or resolution to reduce the size of a single I frame, which will lower the buffer pressure, or the customer could reduce the I frame interval and adjust the ‘smoothing’ value to achieve the same effect of reducing single I frame."

Hi @Dan

Not sure what question was asked, but how does this relate to streaming working over http but not over https?

Thanks

Hi @StuartW

This answer was in relation to this issue - "I can however only view one Stream1 at a time (the other 3 cameras will fail to view), can not playback more that one synchronous stream at all, but can view all four on stream2 in a 2x2 window."

Yes, on HTTP, but not on HTTPS - that is the real question here...

I would try changing the settings they have suggested above and see if that enables the streams under HTTPS, if not we will see if Hik support can investigate the HTTPS issue further. Unfortunately, Hikvision support for Mac users is pretty bad so if it is specifically an issue only happening for Mac users running HTTPS there is probably very little advice/support they will be able to offer.

To clarify -

The HTTP/HTTPS issue is not just mac
(If configured using HTTP I can get live view and playback on Safari on Mac (I thought this hadn't worked for a while?) and Chrome on Windows.)

Issue persists when running on stream2 (i.e. low resolution)
(...but can view all four on stream2 in a 2x2 window...)

Both Safari on Mac and Chrome on windows fail to street at all when using HTTPS
(...If changing the config to HTTPS, view playback on Safari and chrome fails, only working on IE with the plugin installed.)

Perhaps I gave too much info in the original post, so the question is:

When using HTTP streams will display on many browsers, when using HTTPS streams only display in IE with plugin. Is this normal behaviour?

Hi @StuartW

Apologies, I was getting mixed up as to which parts of your original post related to HTTP and which related to HTTPS, I've asked your above question to Hikvision support and this was their response:

"Yes for HTTPS this is the case since it uses a different port, which could be unable to be connected by our service on other browsers."

Back