01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2/8P, I need to run two 4K cameras from 1 cable?

Andy.A

I have a DS-7608NI-I2-8P.

I only have 1 cable at the top of the garden and I need to install a second 4K camera from the same cable. Both cameras do not have sound built in.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a DS-7608NI-I2-8P.

I only have 1 cable at the top of the garden and I need to install a second 4K camera from the same cable. Both cameras do not have sound built in.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Yes but you will need power. Connect the single cable from the NVR to a 5 port PoE switch then connect the two cameras to that switch also.

This switch can be powered via POE AND provide POE power to multiple cameras connected to it:
Veracity CAMSWITCH 4 Plus Network Switch with 4 PoE and 1 Ethernet Port - VCS-4P1

There is an Open Box unit available in the Clearance section of the webshop:

NB - At the source end, you need to use a POE injector with suitable power e.g.

Q.1 Do I need to switch off the PoE on that 1 port on the NVR?
Q.2 Is the NVR capable of seeing both cameras from the 1 port?
Q3. So I need to put the PoE switch at the 2 camera end of the Cat6?

Q.1 Do I need to switch off the PoE on that 1 port on the NVR?
Q.2 Is the NVR capable of seeing both cameras from the 1 port?
Q3. So I need to put the PoE switch at the 2 camera end of the Cat6?
1 - You could try that but on the latest firmware I had an issue when I did, which is what I would normally do - switching off the unneeded PoE on the channel that the switch was connected to removed the channel completely. I'd never had that issue previously - it used to be possible to simply switch off PoE leaving the channel available.
2 - Yes - I usually set the IP addresses manually in the same range as the NVR PoE channels such as 192.168.254.104 for cam 4 and set the admin password to the same as the NVR. Best to set the camera up first while not connected to the NVR, then edit the two channels from Plug and Play to Manual on the NVR setting the IP addresses and selecting "Use channel default password". Do that for both cameras, then connect the switch to one port of the NVR via the PoE adaptor @Phil mentioned above. Both cameras will then come on line. If you forget and leave the channel as Plug and Play, there's a good chance that on connection, the NVR will override the settings and change the IP addresses in the cameras.
3 - Yes

Sorry, I'm late back to this.

If you have mains power at the camera position, then installing a standard network switch there is perhaps the cheapest option, as you can pick up 4/8-port switches quite cheaply.

I think I would re-configure to add the cameras to your LAN, then manually add them to the NVR via their LAN IP addresses - I suspect that long-term this would be most stable.

This may also be an option:

And, although I have never used one, you can get 'gadgets' that enable two cameras via one network cable (search YouTube for examples):

I think I would re-configure to add the cameras to your LAN, then manually add them to the NVR via their LAN IP addresses - I suspect that long-term this would be most stable.
Using the existing link to an NVR PoE port and configuring them on the same network is no issue with regard to stability. I've done this a number of times and even with four 4K cameras there was no issue. The benefit is that it keeps the system the same in that only the NVR is exposed directly to the internet and keeps all the camera traffic segregated and off the LAN.

I tried to turn off the PoE power on the port and it still was putting power out on the port from the NVR. I could have used a normal switch then and powered the 2 camera from a 12V supply. That would of been the best solution as I already have a normal Gigabit switch here.

Q. 1. If I put a PoE switch at the other end to feed 2 cameras. What happens to the 48 Volts leaving the NVR and going into the PoE switch, does it then split the 48 Volts to feed both cameras?

Q.2. The Tenda injector above has only 2 ports. I take it that its 1 port in and 1 port out. So will I have to still use a PoE switch as well to plug both cameras into?

Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know what wires/pin numbers to cut to stop the PoE from the NVR?

If I can cut the 48V wires in that 1 cable then my job will be a lot easier and I already have the stuff here.

What do you actually have at the end of your garden please?
I was imagining a single camera on a pole.

Cutting cores is drastic action, and should be unnecessary.
POE supplies use a kind of handshake i.e. the device sending POE power checks whether there is a device connected that can accept POE power, if there is only then will it send the power.

What do you actually have at the end of your garden please?
I was imagining a single camera on a pole.

Cutting cores is drastic action, and should be unnecessary.
POE supplies use a kind of handshake i.e. the device sending POE power checks whether there is a device connected that can accept POE power, if there is only then will it send the power.
1 camera but I need to connect 2 through 1 cable. I was thinking if I can cut power from the port at the nvr end then all I need is a 12V PSU at the other end to power both cameras.

If you can get a 12V PSU at the other end, I guess there’s somewhere to plug that PSU in to the mains? If so forget the 12V and just connect the existing camera cable to a PoE switch at the remote end. Then take a CAT5E cable from that switch to the existing camera and the new one. Configure manually as I described further up and job done.

Edit: and as Phil said no need to anything with the PoE leaving the NVR port

I'm totally new to connecting cameras in this way.

So no harm will come to the NVR outputting 48V into the PoE switch that is also outputting 48 Volts. Is this correct?

Can you recommend a cheap PoE switch that will work.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm totally new to connecting cameras in this way.

So no harm will come to the NVR outputting 48V into the PoE switch that is also outputting 48 Volts. Is this correct?

Can you recommend a cheap PoE switch that will work.

Thanks
No harm at all - the port on the NVR will simply not output 48V on that port - I’ve done several that way. The cable from the NVR will go to the single uplink port on the switch.

Amazon probably your best bet. I’d be beware of anything cheap - always use a well known brand for peace of mind. TP Link do a 5 port (4 ports plus uplink) one that’s under £30. Just search “5 port PoE” on there and it comes up

No harm at all - the port on the NVR will simply not output 48V on that port - I’ve done several that way. The cable from the NVR will go to the single uplink port on the switch.

Amazon probably your best bet. I’d be beware of anything cheap - always use a well known brand for peace of mind. TP Link do a 5 port (4 ports plus uplink) one that’s under £30. Just search “5 port PoE” on there and it coThank you.

Amazon probably your best bet. I’d be beware of anything cheap - always use a well known brand for peace of mind. TP Link do a 5 port (4 ports plus uplink) one that’s under £30. Just search “5 port PoE” on there and it comes up
Last question. Does it have to be a Gigabit switch or will 100Mb and will a simple unmanged switch do?

Thanks

Back