01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware DS-7608NI-I2/8P Old Firmware

JDFx17

Hello. I have got a DS-7608NI-I2/8P at work that doesn't appear to have been updated in quite a long time! The firmware installed is V3.3.8 build 151116.

Can someone please let me know the best way to go about updating - ie which firmware to go to first? I think I read it isn't good to jump from a very old version to the newest. So if someone can point me to what version to update to first that would be great.

Thanks

Hi @JDFx17

See my latest post below:

Hopefully, this issue will be resolved by tomorrow and I will then be able to share with you the firmware files you need.

Personally, I would recommend to do it in this order as it's best not to skip interim versions - IE don't go from a 3.4.x version to a 3.6.x version without going through a 3.5.x version if there's one available. First you'll need the EU portal as the UK portal does not have the older versions: DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL:

1. 3.4.2
  2. 4.1.10
  3. 4.22.005
  4. 4.40.015
Then from the UK portal you can get the latest:
  1. 4.50.010
In between updates make sure you clear your browser history as you may get a few issues with the NVR web config page not appearing correctly or at all - this is due to the url's for menu items changing in the updated firmware versions.

Personally, I would recommend to do it in this order as it's best not to skip interim versions - IE don't go from a 3.4.x version to a 3.6.x version without going through a 3.5.x version if there's one available. First you'll need the EU portal as the UK portal does not have the older versions: DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL:

1. 3.4.2
  2. 4.1.10
  3. 4.22.005
  4. 4.40.015
Then from the UK portal you can get the latest:
  1. 4.50.010
In between updates make sure you clear your browser history as you may get a few issues with the NVR web config page not appearing correctly or at all - this is due to the url's for menu items changing in the updated firmware versions.
Thanks for the help! I have gone through and done all these updates succesfully.

Between one of the updates it kicked all my cameras off and reset the IP addresses. Nevertheless I have manually added them back into camera management with the IP addresses each camera has. 5 of the cameras are plugged into a POE switch and fed to the NVR over the network. These are all working fine. But 1 camera is plugged directly into the NVR. When plugged into the NVR it wasn’t being picked up. So I plugged it into the network with a PoE injector to find the IP address using SADP. It showed in SADP fine and whilst still plugged into the network I could add it via camera management and it showed fine. But if I unplug it and plug into the relevant channel on the NVR it wont work – I just get network abnormal. Any advise on this?

One thing I do know. All the cameras have a different password to the NVR. They used to be the same but the NVR had to be changed last year. Could this cause an issue? What would be the best thing to do to resolve this?

Thanks

Thanks for the help! I have gone through and done all these updates succesfully.

Between one of the updates it kicked all my cameras off and reset the IP addresses. Nevertheless I have manually added them back into camera management with the IP addresses each camera has. 5 of the cameras are plugged into a POE switch and fed to the NVR over the network. These are all working fine. But 1 camera is plugged directly into the NVR. When plugged into the NVR it wasn’t being picked up. So I plugged it into the network with a PoE injector to find the IP address using SADP. It showed in SADP fine and whilst still plugged into the network I could add it via camera management and it showed fine. But if I unplug it and plug into the relevant channel on the NVR it wont work – I just get network abnormal. Any advise on this?

One thing I do know. All the cameras have a different password to the NVR. They used to be the same but the NVR had to be changed last year. Could this cause an issue? What would be the best thing to do to resolve this?

Thanks
Any camera that is connected directly to the NVR PoE ports (as opposed to being connected via your LAN) will/should have a 192.168.254.xxx address. You could reset it before plugging it back in to the NVR to activate via Plug and Play. My advice however (as you seem to know what's what entering the cameras manually) would be to connect via your PoE injector again and manually set the address (for ease of memory make it 192.168.254.(100 plus cam number) - eg for cam 5 192.168.254.105). Then BEFORE reconnecting it to the NVR - enter that IP address and password for the channel you're going to connect it to. The reason you do it while the camera is disconnected is that the NVR can overwrite the IP address you've just set if Plug and Play is active on the channel.

Best resolve for the password issue once you have the remaining camera working:

1 - Change the NVR admin password - the new password will be sent to all cameras
2 - Wait a few mins and change it back again (if you wish)

Any camera that is connected directly to the NVR PoE ports (as opposed to being connected via your LAN) will/should have a 192.168.254.xxx address. You could reset it before plugging it back in to the NVR to activate via Plug and Play. My advice however (as you seem to know what's what entering the cameras manually) would be to connect via your PoE injector again and manually set the address (for ease of memory make it 192.168.254.(100 plus cam number) - eg for cam 5 192.168.254.105). Then BEFORE reconnecting it to the NVR - enter that IP address and password for the channel you're going to connect it to. The reason you do it while the camera is disconnected is that the NVR can overwrite the IP address you've just set if Plug and Play is active on the channel.

Best resolve for the password issue once you have the remaining camera working:

1 - Change the NVR admin password - the new password will be sent to all cameras
2 - Wait a few mins and change it back again (if you wish)
Thanks. That worked great and got it running.

Few little niggles probably because things were running so out of date. We were still using IVMS-4500 with port forwarding and accessing via IP/Domain. Anyway I have now setup Hik-Connect and that seems fine (recently setup my own home system so fairly up to speed now). One thing that is funny is that one camera will only work via Hik-Connect when not on the local network (ie 4G). When on the local network it just says “network unstable” on the Hik-connect app. I have compared the settings for this cameras against all the others and everything seems the same.

Also if I do add the NVR in via IP/Domain using the port forwarded way, I can see and access all cameras on 4G bar the one that doesn’t work on Hik-Connect. And if I add the local IP and try access on local network, I can’t see anything.

Any ideas on what has caused these issues?

Thanks. That worked great and got it running.

Few little niggles probably because things were running so out of date. We were still using IVMS-4500 with port forwarding and accessing via IP/Domain. Anyway I have now setup Hik-Connect and that seems fine (recently setup my own home system so fairly up to speed now). One thing that is funny is that one camera will only work via Hik-Connect when not on the local network (ie 4G). When on the local network it just says “network unstable” on the Hik-connect app. I have compared the settings for this cameras against all the others and everything seems the same.

Also if I do add the NVR in via IP/Domain using the port forwarded way, I can see and access all cameras on 4G bar the one that doesn’t work on Hik-Connect. And if I add the local IP and try access on local network, I can’t see anything.

Any ideas on what has caused these issues?
It's difficult to say. I've always found HikConnect (the service not the app) to be a pain. I tend to still use iVMS-4500 and port forwarding in most cases, only using the HikConnect service where I can't avoid it (if I must have push notifications)

Is the camera that has this behaviour the single camera that is connected directly via the NVR PoE port, where all others are connected remotely via the LAN? or is it one of the cameras on the PoE switch connected remotely? If so, I'd be looking at the network settings for that one specific camera. You should only have had to alter the IP address of that camera and purposely leave the gateway, DNS etc incorrect as the connection is routed via the NVR

It's difficult to say. I've always found HikConnect (the service not the app) to be a pain. I tend to still use iVMS-4500 and port forwarding in most cases, only using the HikConnect service where I can't avoid it (if I must have push notifications)

Is the camera that has this behaviour the single camera that is connected directly via the NVR PoE port, where all others are connected remotely via the LAN? or is it one of the cameras on the PoE switch connected remotely?
I have only been using Hik-Connect at home for the past month as I couldn't get my own router to port forward and push notification were useful. But since port forwarding is setup at the office here happy to stick with it.

The camera not showing is one of the ones on the LAN. The one plugged in direct is fine.

Funny I can’t access the NVR on the local network on either IVMS-4500 or Hik-Connect app using local IP/Domain adding method. I have the same issue at home on the same model NVR (7608NI-I2/8P). Seems to not work right on new firmware?

I have only been using Hik-Connect at home for the past month as I couldn't get my own router to port forward and push notification were useful. But since port forwarding is setup at the office here happy to stick with it.

The camera not showing is one of the ones on the LAN. The one plugged in direct is fine.

Funny I can’t access the NVR on the local network on either IVMS-4500 or Hik-Connect app using local IP/Domain adding method. I have the same issue at home on the same model NVR (7608NI-I2/8P). Seems to not work right on new firmware?
I should have said that 5 of the cameras are DS-2CD2642FWD-I (Running V5.4.0 build 160511) and 1 is DS-2DE5220IW-AE (V5.4.8 build 170210). The one that isn't showing is a DS-2CD2642FWD-I.

May have to update all the camera firmware's as well?

I'd first confirm the network settings on the camera that's not working and the port numbers.

When you've added the system to HikConnect you should have only added the NVR. Registering the NVR gives you access to all of the cameras connected to it. You shouldn't have individually added the cameras to HikConnect as this is unnecessary and could cause issues.

I've never noticed the local connection issue before but I've just tried mine and I'm getting the same behaviour. Without HikConnect my usual setup would be to port forward and create 2 sites - one with the local IP and one with the remote IP or DynDNS domain. The local one is not always needed, but is needed if the router doesn't allow loopback when the phone is on WiFi.

I'd first confirm the network settings on the camera that's not working and the port numbers.

When you've added the system to HikConnect you should have only added the NVR. Registering the NVR gives you access to all of the cameras connected to it. You shouldn't have individually added the cameras to HikConnect as this is unnecessary and could cause issues.

I've never noticed the local connection issue before but I've just tried mine and I'm getting the same behaviour. Without HikConnect my usual setup would be to port forward and create 2 sites - one with the local IP and one with the remote IP or DynDNS domain. The local one is not always needed, but is needed if the router doesn't allow loopback when the phone is on WiFi.
I have compared the network settings for the one that won't work and one that does and all settings are the same. I have also tried rebooting the camera and still now joy. Very odd.

Yes i added the NVR as a whole.

Well even I have just learned something! I could get it working on my wife's phone locally but not mine. It's a permissions issue....

I'm on iOS and if you go into Settings > iVMS-4500 on the phone you'll likely find like me that "Local Network" is disabled (despite previously allowing everything when installed) This not only stops the device from finding online devices, but stops you manually adding a known device by its local IP. Once changed it all works as it should. The same change is required in HikConnect.
IMG_3241.PNG

Last edited:
I should have said that 5 of the cameras are DS-2CD2642FWD-I (Running V5.4.0 build 160511) and 1 is DS-2DE5220IW-AE (V5.4.8 build 170210). The one that isn't showing is a DS-2CD2642FWD-I.

May have to update all the camera firmware's as well?
It would be worth bringing the cameras up to date also while you're on with it. As was the case for the NVR you may need to jump through a couple of versions to be safe. It can take quite a while with multiple cameras and several versions.

It would be worth bringing the cameras up to date also while you're on with it. As was the case for the NVR you may need to jump through a couple of versions to be safe. It can take quite a while with multiple cameras and several versions.
Thanks will take a look at updating them.

That has fixed the issue in the app accessing locally over IP - never thought of looking in app settings like that. Thanks!

Unfortunately a new issue has reared its head.
I am now running V4.50.010 build 210322 on the NVR. Since updating the NVR seems to crash/reboot now and again. It only seems to really happen if I use the NVR (ie go into the menus etc). When it reboots and the wizard comes up, if I just leave it alone it will work fine. It rebooted before I left the office last night and I didn’t exit the startup wizard. It worked fine all night recording and able to view live. When I got in this morning and exited the wizard it crashed straightaway and rebooted.

Should I try and downgrade the firmware to the earlier version? I am guessing this is done in the same way us updating just using the earlier version file?

Never had any issues with the NVR before. This has only occurred since updating the firmware.

Thanks will take a look at updating them.

That has fixed the issue in the app accessing locally over IP - never thought of looking in app settings like that. Thanks!

Unfortunately a new issue has reared its head.
I am now running V4.50.010 build 210322 on the NVR. Since updating the NVR seems to crash/reboot now and again. It only seems to really happen if I use the NVR (ie go into the menus etc). When it reboots and the wizard comes up, if I just leave it alone it will work fine. It rebooted before I left the office last night and I didn’t exit the startup wizard. It worked fine all night recording and able to view live. When I got in this morning and exited the wizard it crashed straightaway and rebooted.

Should I try and downgrade the firmware to the earlier version? I am guessing this is done in the same way us updating just using the earlier version file?

Never had any issues with the NVR before. This has only occurred since updating the firmware.
I'm not sure on that. I always disable the wizard so it doesn't run at startup. I'm running the same model and firmware version and have not seen (or heard of) any random reboot issues. If it were me, I'd be more likely to default the NVR and then reprogram it (manually - not from backup) as something may have become corrupt during the previous update.

I'm not sure on that. I always disable the wizard so it doesn't run at startup. I'm running the same model and firmware version and have not seen (or heard of) any random reboot issues. If it were me, I'd be more likely to default the NVR and then reprogram it (manually - not from backup) as something may have become corrupt during the previous update.
Thanks.

Will I just do this via the browser under "Restore all parameters to default settings"?

Is there anything I should be wary of? Or will I just need to set everything up from scratch?

Thanks.

Will I just do this via the browser under "Restore all parameters to default settings"?

Is there anything I should be wary of? Or will I just need to set everything up from scratch?
I normally do it from the Maintenance menu on the NVR so I don’t lose touch with it when the network settings revert to default. You can do it from the browser but it will “disappear” until you’ve found the IP for it again.

The only thing to be aware of probably, is to disconnect the cameras first, as when it restores to defaults the channels will all be plug and play again and could overwrite your camera network settings. Plug them back in after you’ve edited the channels manually.

I normally do it from the Maintenance menu on the NVR so I don’t lose touch with it when the network settings revert to default. You can do it from the browser but it will “disappear” until you’ve found the IP for it again.

The only thing to be aware of probably, is to disconnect the cameras first, as when it restores to defaults the channels will all be plug and play again and could overwrite your camera network settings. Plug them back in after you’ve edited the channels manually.
Thanks.

Just out of interest, will it wipe my HDD recordings? Or will that be left? Thanks

Thanks.

Just out of interest, will it wipe my HDD recordings? Or will that be left? Thanks
I can't remember whether it does to be honest, though I usually do an initialise of the hard drive anyway if I'm having unexplained issues.

Back