01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-K2/8P connection issue

Amir_init

Hi All

Was wondering if someone can shed some light on this, I have a virgin media hub which acts as modem and an external device which I bought from Amazon which acts as the router and connects to the virgin hub modem.

All devices work fine except my CCTV, the NVR is POE and sometimes picks up and IP address from the router (DHCP) but then I get the platform access goes offline after a day or two and when I check my routers connected devices I can no longer see the NVR in the list.

I tried setting a static IP address and works for a day or two and then platform access goes offline and again I cannot see the NVR listed in my routers connected devices, I can still view my cameras on my TV, its a direct cat6 connection from NVR to the router and the display from NVR to TV is also cat6 which a converter to HDMI on the TV end.

The only fix I found is to reboot the NVR a few times and it picks up the router IP address, but this is now not working and keep trying several reboots, otherwise it just gets a IP address from the modem range and platform access stays offline. here are some photos to make it a bit clearer.

2nd picture shows incorrect IP address from modem IP range, 3rd picture is correct IP range from router.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, my supplier doesn't want to know and having to work this out myself

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

Hi David
The NVR is in the loft and the router is in my living room on the ground floor, I would say about 20 to 25 feet long.

Amir

@Amir_init
Morning Amir,
What model of Virgin Media Hub and router are you using?

Make sure the Virgin hub is in true modem bridge mode with wireless and DHCP disabled.

check wireless and DHCP is enabled on the router.

David

@Amir_init

Hi Amir,
I'm not familiar with the virgin media hub but have looked at it online.

Is the media hub ethernet port 1 connected to the router WAN port?
Is DHCP client enabled on the router WAN port and is the router WAN port getting a public IP address from the media hub?
What subnet is the router DHCP server on?
Make sure the NVR WAN port is enabled for DHCP client.
Have you tried swapping the cat6 cable between the HDMI converter and the NVR, swap at the router / TV end as well.
Are the cat6 cables factory or home made?
In your second image there is no gateway IP address for the NVR, is it always like this? Or is the gateway address there when it is working?

David

HI David, answers below

Is the media hub ethernet port 1 connected to the router WAN port? Yes VM hub port 1 which connects to router port.

Is DHCP client enabled on the router WAN port and is the router WAN port getting a public IP address from the media hub? DHCP is enabled on router, see picture

1628707210051.png

What subnet is the router DHCP server on? see picture above

Make sure the NVR WAN port is enabled for DHCP client. any ideas where this setting is on the NVR ?

Have you tried swapping the cat6 cable between the HDMI converter and the NVR, swap at the router / TV end as well. No but will do, I am guessing this will determine if the cat6 is faulty ?

Are the cat6 cables factory or home made? cctv company fitted them, but crimped all the connectors here at my home.

In your second image there is no gateway IP address for the NVR, is it always like this? Or is the gateway address there when it is working? No GW address is there when it works, here is the correct setting when it works:
1628707457952.png

All my other devices work fine, nest, google home, smart plugs, smart under floor heating, laptops, amazon fire stick, etc, just this NVR CCTV system.

@Amir_init
Hello Amir,
I suspect your NVR may have a firmware bug, can you update your firmware to the latest version?

download the firmware file here. links to the Hikvision Europe firmware portal

firmware update instructions here. links to Use-IP website

David

See my earlier thread on the firmware upgrade.

Is the media hub ethernet port 1 connected to the router WAN port? Yes VM hub port 1 which connects to router port.
Just checking it goes to the router WAN port.

Is DHCP client enabled on the router WAN port and is the router WAN port getting a public IP address from the media hub? DHCP is enabled on router, see picture
Your public IP is not in that picture. look at your router config WAN interface, it may be under advanced settings. I think it is ok, just double checking.

Make sure the NVR WAN port is enabled for DHCP client. any ideas where this setting is on the NVR ?
see pic, a NVR reboot could also fix this.
Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 15.16.40.png

Have you tried swapping the cat6 cable between the HDMI converter and the NVR, swap at the router / TV end as well. No but will do, I am guessing this will determine if the cat6 is faulty ?
I dont think its the cable, just ruling it out.

Are the cat6 cables factory or home made? cctv company fitted them, but crimped all the connectors here at my home.
they should've tested them after assembly, the check above will verify.

In your second image there is no gateway IP address for the NVR, is it always like this? Or is the gateway address there when it is working? No GW address is there when it works, here is the correct setting when it works:
with DHCP off and the IP and router gateway address entered it works properly?
When this is fixed we'll have to setup the router to give the same IP address to the NVR all the time.

@Amir_init
Hello Amir,
I suspect your NVR may have a firmware bug, can you update your firmware to the latest version?

download the firmware file here. links to the Hikvision Europe firmware portal

firmware update instructions here. links to Use-IP website

David
Thanks David, CCTV company are returning tomorrow (still under warranty) I will ask them to the firmware upgrade. Will report back after.

Hi David

Have rebooted NVR several times sometimes it picks up the right up address works for a day and then platform access goes offline, I can see all the cameras and live view on my TV, but the IP address changes to 192.0.2 range on the NVR.

I did try and set static IP address on the NVR from the 192.168.15 range but that never works. I had a look on the router to see if I can reserve an IP address
but there is no option to do that. I have contacted tech support for the router and they confirmed the router does not have this option too.

I will be asking the CCTV company to test cabling, I also have a tester but I want them to test as its all under warranty.

Yes the cable from the virgin hub does go into the router WAN port.

Hope this narrows it down a bit, I am Microsoft qualified and work in IT full time, but not very good with NVRS :)

Thanks David, CCTV company are returning tomorrow (still under warranty) I will ask them to the firmware upgrade. Will report back after.
There is a more recent firmware update here on the UK portal.

I did try and set static IP address on the NVR from the 192.168.15 range but that never works.
The IP address really needs to be assigned by the router otherwise it may know know about it.

Have rebooted NVR several times sometimes it picks up the right up address works for a day and then platform access goes offline, I can see all the cameras and live view on my TV, but the IP address changes to 192.0.2 range on the NVR.
The 192.0.2.nnn address may be the default after the DHCP service times out, it sounds as though the NVR is not parsing the DHCP setup text string from the router. Are your other devices getting the right DHCP info from the router? IP address, Gateway, DNS etc.

I had a look on the router to see if I can reserve an IP address
but there is no option to do that. I have contacted tech support for the router and they confirmed the router does not have this option too.
If you reboot your router the NVR may get another IP address so you'll need to check the router connected devices page. Are your cameras connected to the PoE ports on the back of the NVR?

Hope this narrows it down a bit, I am Microsoft qualified and work in IT full time, but not very good with NVRS
I'm Telecomms / IT network qualified and have worked on several IP CCTV installs.

Hi David

Apologies for the late reply, was away on holiday for a few days...

The CCTV company are replacing my nvr in the next 2 weeks to a non hikvision one and that is compatible with my cameras, as this is the 2nd Hikvison (same model) NVR, first one had a noisy power supply fan, was only using it for a few months.

Thought I would mess around with it myself, so upgraded firmware to version 4.30.071 build210517, after reboot its picked up the correct IP address 10.168.15.140 and platform access is now back online too so I can view cameras on my phone again.

In answer to your questions, yes the cameras are connected via POE on the back of the NVR, all other devices in the house connected to the router wifi or wired with no issue at all, just the NVR, DHCP is giving other devices the correct IP addresses.

Now that its got the right IP address, lets see how long it works, most of the time it works for a day or half a day and then platform access goes offline and I cannot see the NVR IP address in connected devices when I check the router. I then reboot NVR and it reverts back to the 192.0.2 IP range, will monitor for now and report back

Last edited:
spoke to soon, platform access offline, rebooted NVR and now has a 192.168.2.168 IP address. I hope I don't have the same issue with the new non Hikvision NVR which CCTV company are replacing in the next few weeks. I have now rebooted several times and it still hold the same IP address.

I am leaning towards a network router issue or cabling rather than an NVR issue as this is my 2nd Hiksvion NVR and its doing the same

spoke to soon, platform access offline, rebooted NVR and now has a 192.168.2.168 IP address. I hope I don't have the same issue with the new non Hikvision NVR which CCTV company are replacing in the next few weeks. I have now rebooted several times and it still hold the same IP address.

I am leaning towards a network router issue or cabling rather than an NVR issue as this is my 2nd Hiksvion NVR and its doing the same
did you get the same IP address 192.168.2.168 with the first NVR? Can you put the virgin hub back in router mode and turn off the Amazon router?

Hi David

Yes same IP address would appear withe the first NVR, thinking back I never had this issue with VM router when I used it in router mode.

When I first installed the amazon router the NVR did not pick an I address and I had to reboot several times for it to get the correct IP address, it worked for a long time on the new Amazon router, but all of sudden in the last month its doing this more and more often

I can put VM router into router mode but would mean no internet or re-connecting all the other devices and thats a lot of work :(

can put VM router into router mode but would mean no internet or re-connecting all the other devices and thats a lot of work
can you configure the VM router wifi network to be the same as the amazon router? saves a lot of hassle, its what I do. Just make a note on the VM router.

does the amazon router have a B LAN DHCP server on 192.168.2.nnnn?

If the NVR could not get an IP address I'd expect it to assign itself a private IP address 169.nnn.nnn.nnn.

Hi David

can you configure the VM router wifi network to be the same as the amazon router? any ideas how i do this, can this be done with the VM router in router mode ?

does the amazon router have a B LAN DHCP server on 192.168.2.nnnn? Had a look and cannot see any different LAN

Back