01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us
  • Hi Guest, Please subscribe to our YouTube channel for fresh new videos each week.

DS-7608NI-K2/8P looses connections to cameras

Thread starter #1
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR with three Hikvision cameras attached (Hikvision IPC-D140 4mm 4MP CMOS Outdoor IP Network CCTV Dome Cameras).

Intermittently the NVR will drop one or more of the cameras and a reboot and a power off/on will not always get the cameras back on line. What I have found is that if I power down the NVR and I plug each camera into a different port, then power up again, I will eventually (after trying many times) get the cameras back on line.

Any ideas when is causing this?

Regards, JohnK

Best to start a process of elimination.
NVR and all cameras on latest firmware?
Anything on the NVR on Menu>Maintenance>Log Information
Under Menu>Camera>PoE Configuration are the domes registering on the PoE ports? Is the Real Power value jumping wildly?
What if you manually set the cameras up with static IP's?
It's hard to pinpoint the issue as I haven't had any of our Hikvision NVRs erratically reboot and drop the cameras. Looking forward to hearing more.

Thread starter #3
Hi StuartM,

I looked at the log and found hundreds of "PoE Power Overload" entries and the cameras getting disabled. After many hours of trying everything I could think of I eventually did a "Restore" from the maintenance menu and lo and behold everything burst back into life (except I had to re-enter the event info etc). How weird is that? I have had this problem in the past and after swapping the 3 cameras around the 8 ports I eventually got it going but this time I was away from home so I could not do that. BTW the NVR never rebooted itself- that's how I got it working in the past, by rebooting it.

Overall, I must say I am not too impressed with the Hikvision NVR I have. I find the firmware clunky and somewhat non-intuitive and the NVR/Camera combination prone to strange hangs/crashes and generally a bit flakey. The documentation is poor and confusing. I would have preferred to use Lorex products (that I use in the States) but they seem to be unavailable in the UK.

Regards, JohnK.

P: I tried to save the NVR configuration and it asked me for an "encryption key" - what encryption key?, where do I find it ?, in which document does it tell me about this??? grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

When you export the config file from the NVR it will ask you for a password to encrypt the file. It will create a devCfg_xxxxx bin file to the USB stick that is secure. Any decent password will serve as an encryption key, provided you remember it.

Coming back to the PoE issue, the only other threads I've seen mention firmware or the UTP cables running close to power cables. It's a long-shot, but could the power outlet share a circuit with a something that causes voltage fluctuations? Tried putting a UPS on the NVR? Dunno...

Thread starter #6
I tried to save the device configuration and this time supplied a key, it said it was successful but I could find no saved file in the folder I specified, tried 4 times, no joy. On the point of giving up with this Hikvision NVR.

No further POE errors since I did the "restore". The CAT5E cables are nowhere near any power cables.