01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-K2/8P looses connections to cameras

JohnK

I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR with three Hikvision cameras attached (Hikvision IPC-D140 4mm 4MP CMOS Outdoor IP Network CCTV Dome Cameras).

Intermittently the NVR will drop one or more of the cameras and a reboot and a power off/on will not always get the cameras back on line. What I have found is that if I power down the NVR and I plug each camera into a different port, then power up again, I will eventually (after trying many times) get the cameras back on line.

Any ideas when is causing this?

Regards, JohnK

Best to start a process of elimination.
NVR and all cameras on latest firmware?
Anything on the NVR on Menu>Maintenance>Log Information
Under Menu>Camera>PoE Configuration are the domes registering on the PoE ports? Is the Real Power value jumping wildly?
What if you manually set the cameras up with static IP's?
It's hard to pinpoint the issue as I haven't had any of our Hikvision NVRs erratically reboot and drop the cameras. Looking forward to hearing more.

Hi StuartM,

I looked at the log and found hundreds of "PoE Power Overload" entries and the cameras getting disabled. After many hours of trying everything I could think of I eventually did a "Restore" from the maintenance menu and lo and behold everything burst back into life (except I had to re-enter the event info etc). How weird is that? I have had this problem in the past and after swapping the 3 cameras around the 8 ports I eventually got it going but this time I was away from home so I could not do that. BTW the NVR never rebooted itself- that's how I got it working in the past, by rebooting it.

Overall, I must say I am not too impressed with the Hikvision NVR I have. I find the firmware clunky and somewhat non-intuitive and the NVR/Camera combination prone to strange hangs/crashes and generally a bit flakey. The documentation is poor and confusing. I would have preferred to use Lorex products (that I use in the States) but they seem to be unavailable in the UK.

Regards, JohnK.

P: I tried to save the NVR configuration and it asked me for an "encryption key" - what encryption key?, where do I find it ?, in which document does it tell me about this??? grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

When you export the config file from the NVR it will ask you for a password to encrypt the file. It will create a devCfg_xxxxx bin file to the USB stick that is secure. Any decent password will serve as an encryption key, provided you remember it.

Coming back to the PoE issue, the only other threads I've seen mention firmware or the UTP cables running close to power cables. It's a long-shot, but could the power outlet share a circuit with a something that causes voltage fluctuations? Tried putting a UPS on the NVR? Dunno...

I tried to save the device configuration and this time supplied a key, it said it was successful but I could find no saved file in the folder I specified, tried 4 times, no joy. On the point of giving up with this Hikvision NVR.

No further POE errors since I did the "restore". The CAT5E cables are nowhere near any power cables.

The POE errors have returned with all the cameras offline and a "Restore" did not fix it this time :-( I'm at a loss as to the cause and the fix

Have you used self-made cables?
Try a temporary rig with the cameras close to your NVR on short bought patch leads to see if the issue disappears.

Sorry for the delay, been travelling...

RE:phil. I put the cameras on short cables and it ran for OK for 4 days. Not sure this proves anything because it has run for up to 4 weeks on the installed cables before dropping the cameras. I am going to bite the bullet and install new UTP cables and see if that cures it. I have to use made-up cables because it would be impossible to get the the connectors through the various holes/obstructions where they are routed. I must add that I have been making up UTP cables for at least 15 years and I have never had a problem with them.

RE: StuartM. The NVR reports that the firmware is "V3.4.96 build 170921" and I am reluctant to do a firmware update because I have heard various stories of Hikvision NVRs been bricked after an update. However if the update specifically addresses my problem I would do it. Can you point me in the direction where I can download the firmware and the release notes?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Hi John, I spend a fair amount of time with Hikvision products and have never had a firmware brick a NVR or camera. I have seen the settings occasionally reset after upgrading firmware. I'm very confident the link Phil posted will safely upgrade your NVR's firmware.

I upgraded the firmware earlier today and at best it has made no difference, at worse the cameras seem to be dropping off line more often. I am going to replace the cables later in the week and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.

You could take the easiest camera to uninstall and attach it via a pre-made cable to the NVR for testing in the interim. The camera firmware is important too. Please share what firmware version the IPC-D140's are on.

Thanks for all the help and advice. This NVR actually belonged to my brother and he has decided to return the NVR to his supplier. We tried all three cameras, plus a new one out-of-the-box and none will work with this NVR on a 2-metre pre-made network cable. Seems that there is an NVR fault. We just noticed it was still logging POE overload errors when no cameras are attached. :(

One last thought, even though you may have returned it. Using a POE injector to the camera for power then running the POE data port to a switch. Connect the switch to the LAN port on the NVR and configure the camera manually on the NVR. It's really out of curiosity at this point if it solves the problem of connectivity and proves the NVR's POE ports are faulty. I'd imagine you're fed up by now though. Either way, just a thought.

Hi StuartM. Yes, we thought of interposing a POE switch between the NVR and the cameras to just prove a point (if it was no POE that was the problem the cameras should work) but neither of us has the necessary switch and we weren't going to buy one just for this. We are now thinking what to do next...

You don't necessarily need to buy a switch. If you have a ADSL router at home for your internet it probably has some free ports. Provided you have a POE injector, you could power the camera and connect the LAN port on the injector to your ADSL router. Then connect the NVR to the router too. Maunally configure the camera with a static IP and add the camera using the manual option on the NVR. Provided the IP address of the NVR and camera are on the same range you should be good. Keep us updated.

Sorry for the long delay but we decided to return the NVR to the supplier and go for an alternative solution.

Back