01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7716NXI-I4/S recording/playback issue with only 3 4K cameras

railgun

Hello all,

I've recently purchased the above NVR for cameras I've had for a little while.

I've got 2x DS-2CD2785G0 and 2x DS-2CD2786G2 of which only one is online at the moment. I also have a KD8003 intercom.

The issue I seem to have is its ability to live-view and playback anything from the 2CD2786G2. Up until last night, everything was being recorded at H.265, + was off. The other cameras have been and continue to be OK, but the one in question was showing spotty, intermittent recorded timeframes, and when there was some indication of a recording, it would display maybe a second or two then freeze. Enabling H.256+ seemed to resolve the recording consistency, but its ability to playback is still not consistent. What I can seem to see is that any nighttime recording seems OK, but at some point after transitioning to daytime footage it will freeze, but there isn't anything I can find that will determine why.

I'm constantly recording to a 8TB WD Purple, of which I have two installed. I've just this morning split these sources across both HDDs, though the BW to the disk is well below what it can do, as well as to/from the NVR itself.

From a topology perspective, the two G0 cameras are on the same switch, while the G2 is two switch hops away, but all on the same network.

From iVMS, there are no issues experienced connecting to this camera, the PC on which the SW lives is the same "distance" away from the camera as the NVR is.

The settings on these cameras is identical insofar as the resolution (4k), framerate (20fps), bitrate (constant/16384), etc (except for the KD, which are the highest settings relevant to it). The recording settings are also identical. No camera is defined for any default live-view setting.

I have basic motion detection setup on all cameras, and one smart detection event setup on one G0 camera.

The general motion detection setup is not quite what I want yet, but for the purposes of discussion, they'll remain as-is for now.

The FW of the G2 is V5.5.800.

No logs show anything that would indicate any type of issue.

If there's something odd with the camera in question, I'm all ears. I have the second one that I'm going to bring online soon enough and while I'm in some window of return for this NVR, if there is something specific to the NVR, I'd rather sort it sooner than later.

TIA

Hello all,

I've recently purchased the above NVR for cameras I've had for a little while.

I've got 2x DS-2CD2785G0 and 2x DS-2CD2786G2 of which only one is online at the moment. I also have a KD8003 intercom.

The issue I seem to have is its ability to live-view and playback anything from the 2CD2786G2. Up until last night, everything was being recorded at H.265, + was off. The other cameras have been and continue to be OK, but the one in question was showing spotty, intermittent recorded timeframes, and when there was some indication of a recording, it would display maybe a second or two then freeze. Enabling H.256+ seemed to resolve the recording consistency, but its ability to playback is still not consistent. What I can seem to see is that any nighttime recording seems OK, but at some point after transitioning to daytime footage it will freeze, but there isn't anything I can find that will determine why.

I'm constantly recording to a 8TB WD Purple, of which I have two installed. I've just this morning split these sources across both HDDs, though the BW to the disk is well below what it can do, as well as to/from the NVR itself.

From a topology perspective, the two G0 cameras are on the same switch, while the G2 is two switch hops away, but all on the same network.

From iVMS, there are no issues experienced connecting to this camera, the PC on which the SW lives is the same "distance" away from the camera as the NVR is.

The settings on these cameras is identical insofar as the resolution (4k), framerate (20fps), bitrate (constant/16384), etc (except for the KD, which are the highest settings relevant to it). The recording settings are also identical. No camera is defined for any default live-view setting.

I have basic motion detection setup on all cameras, and one smart detection event setup on one G0 camera.

The general motion detection setup is not quite what I want yet, but for the purposes of discussion, they'll remain as-is for now.

The FW of the G2 is V5.5.800.

No logs show anything that would indicate any type of issue.

If there's something odd with the camera in question, I'm all ears. I have the second one that I'm going to bring online soon enough and while I'm in some window of return for this NVR, if there is something specific to the NVR, I'd rather sort it sooner than later.

TIA
I have had similar issues with the 4K cameras like that. On my own system one of the steps I took was to change to recording groups from quota mode and pop my two 4K cameras on one disk - it seems like you've already done that.

The first thing I always advise and is something I've seen cause issues on many systems is to check pre alarm recording. If you're recording 24/7 it should be set to 0 seconds, as unlike motion only recording this buffer is not needed. It can cause the playback image to freeze at the moment of motion detection and catch up 5 seconds later causing that footage to be lost and the playback to stutter. For each camera in the recording schedule click the advanced box and change the pre alarm to 0 from it's default of 5 seconds.

After a lot of experimentation I have my two 4K models on H265, Higher (Quality), Variable Bit Rate 10240 kbps, 20FPS. This works well for me, I had nothing but issues when using H265+ and won't use it. Try those settings and see how you get on. Maxing out the bit rate rarely yields a visible improvement on the image quality.

Another point to note is that the higher the quality is set, the more the bit rate bursts above what you have set as a maximum and that can cause issues. There's a Clear/Smooth slider in the cameras Video menu that at default is set to 50 of 100 (it's unlikely you'll have changed this). I habitually used to set that at 1 for Clear, but similar to the Quality setting this caused the bit rate to burst excessively especially with each I frame.

So the split across separate drives may have improved things, though again, the incoming data is nowhere near where the drives cap out.

I've changed the pre-record to 0, but not until just a few moments ago. What did pop up as I was looking at random times today was a not enough resource for transcoding message.

Now, this was a single video, and I happened to have one other device looking at a different camera natively (looking at the camera via its IP on the hik-connect app on a tablet) so I would not have expected this message.

I'm thinking that this NVR isn't all it's cracked up to be as I'm not giving it a whole lot and it's already complaining about things it shouldn't be.

Back