01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Edimax 1510wg - no ActiveX?

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Bought the Edimax IC-1510WG (from Use-IP) but having difficulty getting the ActiveX control that is required (no prompt came up at stage 6 of the installation).

Any idea where I can get it from? Thx

[Question moved from product page questions to allow support conversation]

What browser are you using?
With Internet Explorer you should be prompted (and will probably see a yellow bar at the top of the page) to download and install the Edimax ActiveX component.

You may not see this with Firefox, Chrome, Safari browsers - video may simply work with those, although again sometimes you'll be prompted to install a plugin.

Can you see video?
In any browser?
What Operating System are you using?

Phil

I'm using IE8, but did not get the prompt to download the ActiveX component.
Can't see any video. Only use IE.
Seems to have recognised the camera.
Am using Windows XP SP2.

It may be worth installing Firefox or Chrome to distinguish whether the problem is actually related to your browser.

It could be related to your Firewall/Anti-virus software, it's worth trying your camera connection with your firewall/AV temporarily off.

If you find it is IE8 related, is the camera's IP address Trusted in your network?
See this Edimax doc about IE7+ protected mode.

Switched Anti-virus off - still doesn't work.
Listed cameras IP address as 'Trusted' - still doesn't work.
Listed as exception in windows firewall - still doesn't work.
Installed Firefox - still doesn't work.

Still think that it's the missing ActiveX control/ problem with the Web Management Interface.

When I type the IP address of the IP camera into the address bar of the browser I don't get prompted to enter the username and password of the Web Management Interface (doesn't connect - just tims out). Hence there is no following prompt for the ActiveX control (IPCamPluginMJPEG.cab)

Usually, if the ActiveX component is missing, you would still reach the camera's normal display page (picture frame for want of a better term) for the video, but the actual video would be missing.

ActiveX only comes into play when you start to view live video.

Also, you would still expect to see the camera access login page at the IP address for the camera.

The ActiveX component gets loaded across onto the viewing PC from the camera on the first occasion that you access it from your browser.

I suspect that for whatever reason you are not actually reaching your camera.

What IP address is your Edimax IP camera at on your Local Area Network?

Can you see it (at that IP address) in the list of connected devices shown in your router?

As this is a wireless camera, are you wired to it at the moment, for this initial setup?

Just to add, by way of illustration:

Take a look at our customer's webcam at Polkerris Beach in Cornwall.

If you visit with Firefox (or Chrome, or Safari) you will probably see the video immediately.

If you visit with Internet Explorer, then your browser will probably ask permission to install the required ActiveX at your first visit (yellow bar at the top of the screen).

For interest, that is an Axis 211 IP camera.

Thanks for continuing to try and sort things!

Initially the IP camera was not showing as a connected device on my router (when I used the default IP address for the device 192.168.2.3).
I have managed to get it to show by changing the IP address.
The IP address for my Edimax IP camera on my LAN is now 192.168.0.06

However the Edimax Admin Utility is now not able to see the camera (it could before, but the router could not)

Tried to change the IP address of my computer (to 192.168.2.250), but then the router did not work.

I am currently 'wired' as I try to set it up

Hope that helps.

P.S. Tried the web cam with Firefox and worked fine. Tried with IE and had to download the ActiveX for it to work.

Hi There,

We need to get your PC, camera and router (and anything else connected to your network) all operating in the same IP range.

All your devices must use the same digits for the first three groups of numbers in the IP address, so either 192.168.2.xxx OR 192.168.0.xxx (the two ranges mentioned in your last post).

You normally set the IP range in your router, and then that determines what other devices in your network can use. Typically your router will take the first address in the range, so something like 192.168.0.1

You can use DHCP in the router to allocate addresses to the network devices, but for ease of always finding your IP camera at the expected IP address it is best to 'fix' its IP address before you finalise your setup.

I expect that once you've set all the IP addresses to the same IP address range, you will then find that your PC can then find your camera on the network.

By the way, make sure that each device is also set to use the same subnet mask (use 255.255.255.0).

Let me know how you get on.

Hi quinnyb,

How are you getting on with your Edimax wireless camera?

Have you got it connected and working?

Back