01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Effect of inadequate PoE quota

gilera

Hi,
I'm new tot he forum. I am using a TP-link gigabit network switch TL-SG1005P (IEEE802.3af) - 4 PoE ports, max power per port 15.4W, max total power 56w.

I am only using 3 camera currently but was thinking of adding a 4th.

My cameras are all American Dynamics Illustra i610 mini domes. The user manual states that they require 23W (PoE+) in one place but also states regular PoE will work if temp is over 4 degree celcius but heaters won't work. This is not an issue for me as it would very rarely get below 4 and never below 0.
It doesn't say what power usage is without the heaters but you would assume less than 15.4w if it says that regular PoE will work.

2 of the cameras have about 100ft run of Cat 5e which might slightly affect things but not much.

What are the symptoms of having not enough power getting to the cameras?

The switch has max power of 56w which means that if distributed equally (which it wouldn't be) would be 14w per port. This means that if I add another camera power might drop a little to the existing ones.

Wondering if I should upgrade my switch before adding another camera but would rather spend the money towards a better camera.

Thanks.

Wondering if I should upgrade my switch before adding another camera but would rather spend the money towards a better camera.

Hi,

The easiest and most affordable solution would probably be to put a PoE+ Injector like this model - Trendnet TPE-115GI Gigabit Power over Ethernet Plus Injector - between the switch and the camera, doing this will boost the PoE output of that single port to PoE+ without having to replace the whole switch. (I would only replace the whole switch if you were going to have more than one camera that requires PoE+)

The easiest and most affordable solution would probably be to put a PoE+ Injector like this model - Trendnet TPE-115GI Gigabit Power over Ethernet Plus Injector - between the switch and the camera, doing this will boost the PoE output of that single port to PoE+ without having to replace the whole switch. (I would only replace the whole switch if you were going to have more than one camera that requires PoE+)

Thanks Dan. The issue is that all 3 cameras state this PoE+ requirement only to say that PoE is ok. I haven't bought a 4th camera yet so will have to see what the requirements for that model are. What I really need to know is what the actual requirements of my cameras are. I don't have a managed switch so not sure how I can do this. That is why I was wondering what symptoms to look out for if the power is inadequate - either now or after I add another camera. Will the camera's just shut down? Lose connection temporarily? Poor quality image?

Hi @gilera

I would advise that you login to each of the existing cameras and then look in the configuration menus for system page that displays the current power consumption of each camera. (we have never sold the cameras you have so I don't know where you would find this information) The power consumption may vary slightly between each camera but will give you an idea of the average power usage of each camera and whether or not a 4th camera will exceed the 56w limit of the switch.

Back