01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Emails not working on events

milleniumaire

I have the following setup: 5 x 4MP DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL cameras connected to a DS-7609NI-I2/8P NVR.

I have configured email on the NVR as follows:

1635850529082.png

Instead of "mydomain" I used my own domain name. Clicking the Test button works and an email is successfully sent and received.

I've done this config through the web screen called from iVMS-4200 when clicking on the config button under Maintenance and Management.

I've then setup one of the cameras to send emails, at least I think I have. Again, this is done through the webpage configuration for the specific camera:

1635850953809.png

1635851036043.png

1635850999463.png

No emails are being sent.

What am I missing?

All my config is on the Basic Event screen. What is the difference between this and the Smart Event config (Smart events are not Enabled)?

PS. In iVMS-4200, Under System Configuration, there is also an Email settings screen, which I haven't filled in. Like many things with the Hikvision software, I don't understand the difference between this configuration screen and the web configuration screen for the NVR. Shouldn't they both be showing the same settings?

1635851262386.png

PPS. Just to confirm, as I use Google Mail, I had to create an application password and use that during email setup. As I say, the test works as expected so it would appear the config of email is correct.

Last edited:
Hi @milleniumaire

Just to confirm, is the "sender's address" a Gmail address?

Have you allowed less secure apps on the Gmail account if so? This needs to be done for the email notifications to work.

In your Google account settings, go to:
Security Less secure app access → Turn on access

If you have 2-Step verification enabled then you will need to turn this off too.

On your motion detection area settings, it is also worth clicking "clear all" and redrawing the detection area, in case the event isn't working properly due to the whole scene being set as the detection area.

Hi @milleniumaire

Just to confirm, is the "sender's address" a Gmail address?

Have you allowed less secure apps on the Gmail account if so? This needs to be done for the email notifications to work.

In your Google account settings, go to:
Security Less secure app access → Turn on access

If you have 2-Step verification enabled then you will need to turn this off too.

On your motion detection area settings, it is also worth clicking "clear all" and redrawing the detection area, in case the event isn't working properly due to the whole scene being set as the detection area.
Hi Kyle, I can confirm the sender's address is a Gmail address. I have my own domain name, which is configured to be used by Google, so it doesn't actually matter what appears before the domain identifier part of the email address, it will always get to me.

I have allowed for the Google limitations by configuring "Application Passwords" on my Gmail account and my account doesn't use 2 step verification.

The fact that when I test the email setup I get an email suggests that the configuration is correct and working and maybe the issue relates to the emails being triggered by the cameras? Is there some place I can check what alerts are being raised and how they are handled?

I've now also used the same configuration settings in the iVMS-4200 Email config screen (which were blank before) but this makes no difference. Why are there two different places (web page and iVMS-4200 client) for setting up things like email configuration and why aren't they "synced"?

I haven't actually drawn a detection area in the settings, I had assumed the default would be the whole area identified by the camera. Is this not the case?

When messing around with the settings just now, I stopped receiving email notifications being sent to/from my Gmail account but was still receiving successful test emails.

I've just got them working again by:
  1. Changing the SMTP port to 587
  2. Rebooting the NVR
So hopefully, this should do the trick.

The default detection area should work, but clearing and redrawing it (even to fill the whole picture again, if you like), seemed to help too.

I've now also used the same configuration settings in the iVMS-4200 Email config screen (which were blank before) but this makes no difference. Why are there two different places (web page and iVMS-4200 client) for setting up things like email configuration and why aren't they "synced"?
I believe that the iVMS-4200 email settings are for the email alerts that you set up on the software via the "event management" tab, rather than on the NVR's configuration menu - from here in this video explains the iVMS-4200 events a little better:

Hi Kyle, unfortunately setting SMTP port to 587 and rebooting the NVR hasn't made any difference. The email test still works, but I'm not getting emails for events. It makes me wonder if my event capture settings (shown above) are correct, or if I have missed some config somewhere.

Is there any way I can test that the "events" are happening i.e. when I walk passed the camera will it record/log an event somewhere that I can check?

I've now managed to get the event emails working, but there are lots of strange things happening that I don't really understand.

I have 5 cameras, all DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL's and all on the same firmware version. Nothing I did would get event emails sent for my "test" camera, so, to test event generation, I setup ALL 5 cameras so that they sent emails, notified the surveillance centre and buzzed. Here's the first issue:

1. Accessing the camera through it's web control page e.g. http://192.168.0.64:65001/doc/page/config.asp shows different values to those shown through the iVMS-4200 configuration window! After playing around and setting values for the camera in one place or the other i.e. in iVMS-4200 or in the web page, I found that some values are synced e.g. the Enable Motion Detection checkbox, but others aren't e.g. the Send Email checkbox. The Area Settings seems to be a bit hit and miss. All very confusing and it makes me wonder if the software is actually working correctly or if it is buggy.

So, after setting all the events and walking around the house, I determined I was getting emails and pop-up's in Hik Connect on my mobile, and in iVMS-4200 for 3 of the cameras, but not the other two, one of which was the one I had been originally testing. The settings were EXACTLY the same for all cameras, except that for the three that were working, the Area Settings window had a green box around the exterior and a small green number 1 in the middle. The other 2 cameras didn't have this in their Area Settings box, suggesting a "default" area wasn't being set. This is the second issue:

2. Regardless of what I do, I cannot get these two cameras to show a "default" selected area by clicking the Clear All button. I can draw areas on them and the events then work, but when I click Clear All, the events stop working. If I Clear All on any of the "working" three cameras, after drawing an area, then the whole area defaults to area 1 and events work. Any idea why default Area Settings aren't working for 2 of my cameras?

So, having eventually got motion detection working, I then marked out the areas I wanted detecting, excluding bushes and trees and areas outside of my property boundary. Unfortunately, especially for the front of the house, it would appear these areas are being ignored as I continue to get alerts even when a neighbour goes to their car, or when a car drives down the street, despite these being OUTSIDE of the areas I have set. This is therefore issue 3:

3. The Area Settings seem to have been lost after I spent time defining them for each of the cameras last night. They have all now defaulted to the full window, except for two of the cameras (as mentioned previously), which is not showing any default setting and so isn't causing any events to be raised. Any idea why all the Area Settings have been lost?

Where should Area Settings be defined; Using the iVMS-4200 application, or using the Camera's web page? Where are they stored; on the NVR or on the camera? If they are stored on the camera, why do the settings not appear in iVMS-4200 when I set them on the camera's web page (this also applies to other settings, such as "Send Email")?

In the iVMS-4200 tool it is possible to access configuration at Device or Group (Camera) level, but the displayed Configuration window seems to show the same information i.e. it isn't specific to the device or the camera, but provides access to both. This is very confusing and a very poor design! Clicking on a configuration icon against a device should only show related device configuration details. Likewise for a camera.

Any thoughts on the issues I continue to have with these cameras?

I'm pleased to say that despite the vagaries of the Hikvision software, I have now managed to get all 5 cameras to record events by email and through Hik connect, and only for the area I have defined against each camera.

It would appear that the event areas defined using iVMS-4200 are the ones that actually work and are recognised. These also appear to be stored correctly and will also be displayed when using the web page for the camera. If the areas are defined using the web page for the camera, they don't appear to be shown in iVMS-4200 and they seem to be "ignored". Not sure exactly what is going on as you would have thought that it should be possible to set the areas using either iVMS-4200 or the cameras web page and either way that information would be stored on the camera and displayed through the other tool i.e. set using web page, viewable through iVMS-4200.

So, from now on I'll set everything through iVMS-4200, where possible, as some features aren't available through this interface and can only be accessed through the cameras web page!

Last edited:
Back