01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Enabling Motion detection results in 'invalid operation' error

juryman77

Hi

I have a DS-7608NI-I2, with 8 cameras. I'm trying to cut down on the bandwidth used for the older cameras (generic onvif 2mp cameras, h264, from zxtech or something about 4 years ago) as I slowly replace with hikvision cameras and h265+ etc.

The issue I have is that on the hikvision cameras, I can enable motion detection (and in turn, disable 24/7 recording) no problem. On the older cameras, when I click the tickbox for "enable motion detection" for that camera, I get an error in the bottom right corner of the screen 'invalid operation'. Now at first, I thought this was just limited to the generic ONVIF cameras and perhaps motion detection was only supported on Hikvision stuff, but it's not - because on one newer camera (4mp, still generic but still not hikvision) it does work.

The only thing I can think of is that the (slightly) newer ONVIF camera is outputting H265 not H264, as are the Hikvisions. Leaving just the H264 cameras not working with motion detection.

Have I missed the point somewhere and motion detection is done *in camera* and my older cameras don't support it, or is it as simple as the NVR doesn't support motion detection on H264 streams?

Thanks!
Ross

Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
To answer my own question, for anyone else searching for this in years to come...
It turns out motion detection is done in camera and a motion detection 'signal' is sent from the camera to the NVR to trigger recording/alarm status etc.

I discovered this by logging into the (non-hikvision) camera directly, then using the configuration settings in the NVR itself, disabling and enabling the status of 'motion detection' - the toggle in the camera interface itself changes as I change it in the NVR, indicating that the camera is what's responsible for detecting motion detection.

That explains it, and explains why my older cameras don't work with motion detection - perhaps an older ONVIF standard etc. Either way, nothing to do with H264, so that's a red-herring :)

Cheers all.

Probably a common misunderstanding. I sure didn't understand it when I first built my system. I though the cameras were dumb and the NVR handled all the smart stuff. Turns out I was wrong.

Back