01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Ethernet cable from NVR to IP camera is about 10m too short

BillyC

Hi Guys
I am running an Ethernet cat5e from my NVR PoE in my house, to an IP camera 70m away in my shed. My length of cable is about 10m too short from my camera
How can i extend the cable? I have a 2nd Wireless router in my shed which i used to bring the internet to the shed, my main router is in the house. All ports in the shed router are free, would an Ethernet switch work in this case? Any help appreciated.

Hi @BillyC

Yes, the easiest way to connect a single camera in the shed to your local network would be to connect a PoE Injector or PoE switch to the shed router which will then link back to the house router to allow you to connect the camera via a dedicated IP address to the NVR.

Hi Dan, thank you for replying to my question. The injector is probably the best way to go, short of installing a new cable which is very difficult in my case. As a matter of interest would a RJ45 coupler work at all? or would it be a waste of time?

Yes, an RJ45 coupler can work. Couplers only work as a passthrough device, they do not extend the maximum range of the IP signal (which is 100m). You are only going 70m so yes putting the coupler at the 60m mark and then connecting a 10m cable to the coupler to reach that full 70m distance should work.

Back