01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Extending my LAN to my workshop to add 4 IP cameras & a PC?

mkerton

Hi,

I would much appreciate a once-over of my scheme. I’m not too clued up as yet.

I hope the attached sketch gets the point across. I am planning a network for CCTV and have decided on hard-wired as wireless looks like a nightmare to manage. My router is located in a separate room from the planned location of the PVR/UPS, at about 10 metres distance. My workshop is located at 30metres distance.

My question, is it possible to incorporate 4 POE cameras as well as internet access all over one Cat6a U/FTP cable? If this is possible, what would be the best switch. Managed/unmanaged?

Is my layout the best for this scheme?

The entire CCTV system will be POE, and I really favour the Hikvision kit. More on that after I have finished with the wiring.

I need remote access to all cameras.

Observations/suggestions much appreciated.

Attachments

• garagelan.jpg
    garagelan.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 257
Hi, almost right first time ;)
The network cable to your POE switch should run from your router (not your NVR).
In that way you extend your network to that switch, and your cameras and PC join your general LAN network.
Your NVR can find your cameras on your LAN.

cat6 is fine, for the duty & bandwidth.
An unmanaged POE switch will be fine.

Phil,

Thank you so much for your prompt and insightful reply. Dare I ask another question! I installed cat5E plus 3core flex to under my eaves years ago when repairing my roof (actually I also ran co-ax as well). Anyhow, the cat5E won't cope with POE, especially as I want PTZ. Any suggestions re powering and terminating?

Regards

Michael

The cat5e should be fine for POE.
There isn't a requirement for special cable for use with POE.
POE is intended for use with network cables.
cat 6 is capable of a higher bandwidth (more Mbps), but both are equal in terms of copper and power/current capability.

I appreciate the benefits of connecting the POE switch direct to the router, but would joining CCTV to the general network have security implications?

Perhaps bandwidth issues as well!

If I make the setup as a vlan and separate the two networks, I may have increased security, but added complexity in the need to remotely access the cameras. Would this configuration then require a reinstatement of a direct connection - router/NVR/POE switch, rather than the suggested router/POE switch?

I do have the luxury of having space to install a 4U cabinet to accomodate the NVR and the UPS. Perhaps an additional switch there for the 3-4 house cameras. A patch panel may also bring the benefit of re-configuring the NVR/router/switch setup.

Do you have a schematic and/or info on configuring such a setup?

I am really impressed with Phil and Use-IP, and appreciate this forum.

I think you are probably worrying more than you need to :D

Confession time :oops:, I just had a quick look around our office:
We have a standard Plusnet domestic ISP connection
A Draytek router
A 24-port gigabit POE switch
Many small switches hanging off the network all round the office to provide more ports (about x5 each with 4 to 16 ports)
6x PCs
2x Apple iMacs
2x network printers
Various mobiles connecting for testing Apps via wireless LAN
10x NVRs of varied brands each running 24hr recording of direct-connected and LAN-connected IP cameras
Countless IP cameras (30-40?)
1x Synology NAS
1x QNAP NAS

All unmanaged / no VLANs.
Grown like topsy.
It just works.

Phil,

Fair play to you! Thanks for taking the trouble :). I'll lay that one to rest then.

Back