01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Finally added 2nd camera outside

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Greetings from USA. Though I had camera working POE for a couple months on a desk in the house, there were enough issues (Winter, primarily) to avoid the install. Camera is ~200’ away, through two patchfields. Prior to permanent install I ran it hand held outside garage, verifying that it would work this far away, and testing to make sure Image wouldn’t be shooting the LED Motion detect floodlight on the house. It worked, and Image was fine, so when weather broke did the install.

Nosy for future installs. What is the theoretical limit of POE camera on CAT6 cable??

Thanks for your great suggestions and help! Both cams are HiKvision DS 2CD2042WD-1 with V5.53 Build 180730.
Pix ftp, stream converted to 1080/29.97fps Video in Synology Surveillance Station.

Last edited:
The nominal maximum network leg length is 100m (with or without POE).
I routinely hear from customers that they achieve more e.g. 120/140m.
Good quality network cable is essential.
Never use cable marked as CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium).

I attended a Hikvision conference on their EasyIP 3.0 launch a while back and they claimed 300M with their Super PoE feature. I've never tested the claim. Has anyone tried this?

1552387387006.png

Thanks much for that info... The POE connection I'm using is a Trendnet TPG-TG44e Gigabit 8 port switch, 4 of which are POE ports...
It still has 2 POE ports left..... that I used as a sub switch off my main 24 port Gigabit swtich... It was the most cost effective solution...
Now that I know the firmware is clean and solid, and I'm familiar with the cameras, I'll be looking for more new or used DS 2CD2042WD-1 inexpensively from Ebay here.... to slowely retire the older SD internal cameras as I come across them inexpensively. Two of three SD Cameras don't even support Burned In Time and location name...
Whereas I'm at my limit of Free Video from stream conversions on my Synology Nas, Still pics from inside the house is sufficient.... Getting Video from "Critter Cams" was an un-expected and very pleasant Suprise....
I've said it before, and posted elsewhere in the States, that this site Gives/Has more information than the Factory Site(s)..
Thanks for all the assistance!

Here are the day & night pics

Attachments

• 8FD0905D-43B7-499E-ACEA-74A48CE4AFA9.jpeg
    8FD0905D-43B7-499E-ACEA-74A48CE4AFA9.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 8C9D9D77-0FC9-47B7-8B58-1F582BEC7AFD.jpeg
    8C9D9D77-0FC9-47B7-8B58-1F582BEC7AFD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Here’s a video of the first month of first camera from last year. This shows the video from stream feature.
Upload went through motions but didn’t upload

Back