01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

First CCTV system with 4 outdoor cameras

matooh

Hi Everyone. I'm about to set up the 4 outside camera system (with additional 4 internal to add later on). I read that Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P is the NVR i should go for so will just need help with choosing the right cameras for my scenario. I'll have 4TB purple WD hard drive but can install bigger one if necessary. I want to have one camera by the door bell to see who's at the front door, another one to overlook the driveway which is about 4m long and 6-8m wide. Possible location of the camera is on the soffit just above the garage door in the corner ? I'd also want one or two in the back garden, it's L shaped so will probably need to go with two for full coverage. One camera need to be fitted inside the garden shed in case someone has managed to break in. I'd like to go with 8MP cameras but if it's not going to give me massive advantage over 4MP camera then I'll go with the latter. For easier installation I'd opt for POE type of cameras.
I will be installing these four floodlight all way around the house as the garden and side of the house are completely dark in the night, front of the house benefits from street light around 20m from the house but will also have one floodlight to right of front door mounted on the soffit.
Can someone please recommend best price/value option to go for. Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20200701_202117.jpg
    20200701_202117.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200701_202239.jpg
    20200701_202239.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 292
Hi @matooh

If you are going to have floodlights around the property and you have streetlights out the front then we would recommend using ColorVu cameras as they have improved hardware (larger sensor, bigger aperture, etc...) to achieve colour images at night but they work best when there is additional visible light. The model we would recommend is the DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4MP ColorVu Turret

The ColorVu cameras do have built-in floodlights but these are often not useful in residential scenarios as unlike your security floodlights the built-in lights stay on all night for the period of time that it is too dark for the camera to see without them, but if you do have other visible light in the scene you can disable the built-in floodlight. This forum post includes some screenshots showing the images you can get from a ColorVu camera.

4TB will be enough to give you roughly 14-days recording from 4 cameras, the 7608-I2 NVR does have space for 2 HDDs so you can always add a second 4TB (or larger) HDD once you do add the other 4 indoor cameras.

Hi Dan

Thank you for the answer. I was looking at that camera already and would be quite happy to get it as I don't think getting a 8MP camera will benefit me that much more, what do you think?

Also, what camera do you reckon would suit inside of the shed best? The situation would be different obviously as there won't be any artificial light unless I'll install a floodlight with motion sensor or just a motion sensor on its it's own to go with the internal lights and go with the DS-2CD2347G1-LU. What's your thought?

yes @matooh

For most residential properties where the distance to be covered by the cameras is around 10-15m a 4MP camera will be ok and you won't notice a massive difference between the 4 & 8MP performance at those kinds of distances.

For inside the shed we would just go with a standard IR LED camera like the 2545 4MP Mini Dome (2.8mm) as it will likely be positioned much closer to head height than your outdoor cameras and the Mini Domes short 10m IR range makes it great for smaller internal spaces.

Thank you for your answer Dan.

I currently have got YI 1080P cameras inside the house which are ok but just wandering what would be your suggestion for ceiling mounted camera ? I want to be able to access all of the cameras in one app and not to store the footage on sd card but HDD.

Hi @matooh

For inside the home we usually recommend the DS-2CD2455FWD-IW 5MP Cube camera which like the 2545 has a 10m IR range making it good for smaller indoor spaces, but also has a stand that allows you to place the camera on a shelf, window sill, or tabletop as well as being able to wall or ceiling mount it.

Hi @matooh

For inside the home we usually recommend the DS-2CD2455FWD-IW 5MP Cube camera which like the 2545 has a 10m IR range making it good for smaller indoor spaces, but also has a stand that allows you to place the camera on a shelf, window sill, or tabletop as well as being able to wall or ceiling mount it.
Hello sorry but I have just registered to the forum, my question is th Hikvision DS-2CD2455FWD-IW date stamped (watermarked) on the display. The reason I ask this is because I also have YI some cams and I am trying to gather evidence against my ASB neighbour from door slamming to shouting and swearing. I have tried Reolink dome cams before because they are date stamped but the sound quality is very poor, he the reason I use YI cam. I need a camera which has great sound quality in record and a date stamp.

Many thanks hope you can advise.

Alex.

Hi @Alex2x

Yes, all Hikvision cameras can have a date stamp enabled. If you are wanting to record sound outdoors then we would not recommend the 2455 as it is indoor only and although you may pick up very load noises from outdoors with an indoor camera, to get the clearest audio you will need to use an outdoor model with a built-in mic like the 2346G2-IU 4MP Turret with built-in Mic

Thank you for your help I have orded the 4 MP cube version so we will see what it is like

Reactions: Dan
Back