01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

FTP Settings with latest firmware

DaveA

I have FTP Storage settings Storage Path: "Customise" and Multilevel Folder Name: "David/Milesight"
Prior to the latest firmware Motion Alarms went into folder "David/Milesight/Date" Date being "YYYY-MM-DD" when the alarm was raised.
With the new firmware they all get lumped into "David/Milesight"

I am having problems with the structure of the storage path in the new firmware. Some examples in the manual would of helped.
Do you know how I can get back to "David/Milesight/Date"

Hi @DaveA

We asked Milesight about this and they gave us the below information:

We changed the FTP working mechanism, set the Date to an option to generate the FTP folder, not by default. And I think the Date customer said is dynamic date time, not a folder named Date, right?
So based on the situation customer told, you can ask him to do as following steps to make video storage to the David/Milesight/Date again.
  1. Share the folder David, for example, I shared folder G:\David.
  2. Set the Storage Path on camera to Child Directory, Parent Directory to Customize and input Milesight as Directory Name, Child Directory to Date.

Unfortunately this does not work. I have several shares so 'David' must be in the settings somewhere.
Putting it in server address results in 'Invalid server address'
Putting it before 'Milesight' in this form 'David/Milesight results in 'Invalid character /'. It appears that 'Multilevel Folder Name' is only available if 'Storage Path' is set to 'Customize' Setting 'Parent Directory' to 'Customize' only allows a single level folder name.
Is this a bug?

Hi, we have contacted Milesight Tech Support again and received this latest advice:

Please ask him to share the David folder on FTP server, no matter where it is, find it and share it. I mean, not just share the David, if it is in E:/1/David, then share this path.

After sharing, plz set as per the last email I sent. No need to set David in Camera side.

Besides, if storage path set to customize, Multilevel folder name supports three levels of folder name such as aa/bb/cc.

On my Synology NAS I have volume1/David, volume1/John, and volume1/Margaret shared.
Note that 'Milesight' is below folder 'David'
When I fill in the form with with 'Parent Directory' set to 'Customize' the inserting 'Milesight' as instructed save and press the test button I get 'Failed' message.
However if I fill in the form with with 'Parent Directory' set to 'Customize' the inserting 'David' save and press the test button I get 'Success' message with contents of the share = David/"Today's Date"/test.txt.

This suggests to me that when 'Parent Directory' is set with 'Milesight' the NAS is trying to find volume1/Milesight which does not exist and that to make it work the 'Parent Directory' needs to be set to 'David/Milesight' which is not allowed.

Am I missing something here?

Sorry, I'm afraid we're running a skeleton crew this Friday and I'm not going to get time to replicate and test this for you.
I expect that either @Dan or @CC will get back to you on/before Monday and help you to resolve this.

On my Synology NAS I have volume1/David, volume1/John, and volume1/Margaret shared.
Note that 'Milesight' is below folder 'David'
When I fill in the form with with 'Parent Directory' set to 'Customize' the inserting 'Milesight' as instructed save and press the test button I get 'Failed' message.
However if I fill in the form with with 'Parent Directory' set to 'Customize' the inserting 'David' save and press the test button I get 'Success' message with contents of the share = David/"Today's Date"/test.txt.

This suggests to me that when 'Parent Directory' is set with 'Milesight' the NAS is trying to find volume1/Milesight which does not exist and that to make it work the 'Parent Directory' needs to be set to 'David/Milesight' which is not allowed.

Am I missing something here?
Hi, here is CC from Milesight.
Could we arrange Teamviewer to check? Seems like something went wrong and it's better for us to check directly.
Plz let me know your Teamviewer account information including account and password if you set it up and I will connect then.
Thank you.

I don't have Teamviewer. What do Milesight want to connect to. Camera? NAS? PC?. Exactly what do Milesight want to check?
Do Milesight have a Synology NAS to test?

I don't believe the Synology will work with Milesight's settings.
On a Synology NAS you can't share a sub folder of a share and all shares must be in the root directory.

I tested this on my PC with NAS share: David and subfolder: Milesight.

Test 1. Map network drive with \\192.168.1.67\David This works
Test 2. Map network drive with \\192.168.1.67\Milesight This does NOT work.
Test 3. Map network drive with \\192.168.1.67\David\Milesight This works

Since test 2 failed on my PC I would not expect it to work on a Milesight camera or any other camera for that matter.

Can Milesight tell me what tests they have performed to be able to say it should work.

It's better to connect your PC and then I can check the details of your FTP settings such as network settings of camera, etc.
Could you plz install Teamviewer? You can download here https://goo.gl/o9Dwb7

I can confirm my FTP settings are OK.
I have created a folder called David on my PC and created a sub folder called Milesight.
This actually works on a PC but who wants to leave their PC running 24/7 to store camera video.

I want to store my video on my Synology NAS as I used to with your previous firmware.
A simple checkbox to decide if default date folder is used or not would have provided this backwards compatibility.

The simple fact is that Milesight Cameras are not compatible with Synology NAS's for this new feature.

We do test with Synology NAS locally and it works.
Maybe I need to check with our test team again.
But our national holiday is coming, from 5.1 to 5.4, so I'm afraid you have to wait until then. Or if it is urgent, maybe you can downgrade your camera to below version to make it worked. And I will get you reply once we back to work. So sorry for bring so much incovenience.:(
40.7.0.63-r16:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tqOUKSbAueEqVvn_HKKBoI3u28f527Xa/view
42.7.0.63-r16:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X3rSCPjuxR0L8htD5wnJcYgZZ5ruvxcL

In the meantime I have created a share called Milesight on the root folder of my NAS. With your settings this give a structure of volume1/Milesight/'Date'. I don't like this solution because it means a separate mapped drive on my PC. If I were to purchase any more Milesight cameras each one would have to have its own share on the NAS root folder and a separate mapping on my PC.

Hi,
So sorry for late reply.
I checked again and seems like the Synology can't share the sub folder like you said, so that our camera can't reach the folder Milesight directly. That's the Synology issue, I'm afraid if you want to use Synology FTP, you need to create root folder manually for every camera.
Or how about NAS? You can use Synology NAS, and we will generate folder named Model Name_MAC Address for every single camera automatically, so that you don't have to create folder manually. You can also trigger storage to NAS for alarm. Is it ok?

Back