01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

H264+ Causing Freezing with Hikvision setup

I recently switched to H264+ encoding on my hikvision setup with 2 cameras, however one of them freezes and is apparent on the recorded video too. Once I switch back to H264 everything works as normal. Is there something i am missing as one of the camera works flawlessly.

What camera model(s) do you have? Are they the same camera model?

Are they both running their latest firmware?

Are they recording to onboard MicroSD card storage or to an NVR?

DS-7604NI-E1/4P NVR with 2 x DS-2CD2142FWD-I Cameras
NVR firmware to V3.4.98 on my E Series, And also upgraded the cameras to V5.5.82

Recording directly onto the NVR

Ok, the first thing I would recommend is to update the NVR to the latest firmware - v3.4.103

Ok, the first thing I would recommend is to update the NVR to the latest firmware - v3.4.103
I just performed the upgrade, and whilst it does allow me to switch the camera to H.264+ now with working playback, the image keeps flashing (as it adapts to the scene it seems)

Can you post screenshots please of the video settings of both cameras?

Also, are these the only cameras you have connected to that NVR? If there are others what models are they?

Both cams are DS-2CD2142FWD-I and are the only two connected (I have switched 264+ off while this problem persisits)

Attachments

• Front CAM.PNG
    Front CAM.PNG
    25.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Rear CAM.PNG
    Rear CAM.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 191
Its been a long time since we have been hands-on with 2x42 generation cameras, but from a quick bit of testing with a 2442 cube camera we have set up on our demo 7716 NVR I think the problem you are seeing is a camera hardware issue with this particular model not being able to stably compress and decompress H.264+ footage.

We switched our 2442 to H.264+ and we saw a similar issue to yours with the camera working most of the time but every so often when we came back to the live view there would be no image and we would have to go into full-screen mode or go out of the live view and back in again for the image to reappear. this cutting in and out was most pronounced when using 4MP resolution, when we dropped the resolution the stability of the image improved.

We also didn't see any issue with the recorded footage actually stopping at the same time it cut out in the live view as you had seen with your freezing camera, but this may be due to the greater processing capacity of our larger, higher spec 7716 NVR.

Unfortunately with those older cameras, I don't think there is going to be any way to run both cameras at full resolution with H.264+ compression and have a stable image. I think it may be the case that both the 2142 cameras and the 7604-E1 NVR were not designed to support H.264+ compression but had the feature added with a later firmware and so this may be why it runs ok with one camera using H.264+ but when you try and run both you go beyond what the NVR & cameras are capable of. I don't think you will encounter any issues with continuing to run the cameras in standard H.264 CODEC, even if you go up to the full 4 cameras at 4MP I don't think that would be an issue.

Both cams are DS-2CD2142FWD-I (I have switched 264+ off while this problem persisits)
Its been a long time since we have been hands-on with 2x42 generation cameras, but from a quick bit of testing with a 2442 cube camera we have set up on our demo 7716 NVR I think the problem you are seeing is a camera hardware issue with this particular model not being able to stably compress and decompress H.264+ footage.

We switched our 2442 to H.264+ and we saw a similar issue to yours with the camera working most of the time but every so often when we came back to the live view there would be no image and we would have to go into full-screen mode or go out of the live view and back in again for the image to reappear. this cutting in and out was most pronounced when using 4MP resolution, when we dropped the resolution the stability of the image improved.

We also didn't see any issue with the recorded footage actually stopping at the same time it cut out in the live view as you had seen with your freezing camera, but this may be due to the greater processing capacity of our larger, higher spec 7716 NVR.

Unfortunately with those older cameras, I don't think there is going to be any way to run both cameras at full resolution with H.264+ compression and have a stable image. I think it may be the case that both the 2142 cameras and the 7604-E1 NVR were not designed to support H.264+ compression but had the feature added with a later firmware and so this may be why it runs ok with one camera using H.264+ but when you try and run both you go beyond what the NVR & cameras are capable of. I don't think you will encounter any issues with continuing to run the cameras in standard H.264 CODEC, even if you go up to the full 4 cameras at 4MP I don't think that would be an issue.
Sounds about right then, thanks so much for your help on that one. Good to know you experienced that same issue and its not just me. I will leave it how it is and see how we go. may be that when i expand to more cameras this weekend I have to get a larger HDD or compromise on how far we keep footage back

Back