01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help adding an IP camera to my Hikvision DS-7204HGHI-F1 DVR?

Tek2020

Hi, I'm new to this forum nice to meet you all :) I was looking for help in purchasing the correct equipment to add a additional camera to my current set up. I have a I.T background so I thought I'd give it a go myself.

Currently I have a Hikvision DS-7204HGHI-F1 which I belive is a 4 channel DVR. The DVR has no more room to add any additional cameras to it. The DVR is also in a separate location to the router. I belive that I can add additional 5 network cameras to the system.

As my dvr is in a remote location and only has one rj45 leading to it and all the camera cables are best run from the location of the DVR. I was thinking of purchasing "Tenda TEF1105P-4-63W 4-Port 100Mbps PoE CCTV Switch 250m Extended Transmission" to suplly the DVR with Internet and the power the additional POE camera "Hikvision HiWatch IP Camera PoE 4MP Network Dome Vandalproof IR30 IP67 IPC-D140"

So the rj45 leading to the DVRs location will be pluged into the switch then from the switch I'll have another rj45 connecting to the DVR to supply Internet and also from the switch I'll have another rj45 cable running to the cameras location to supply power and Internet. Have I got this right?

Would I need any specific type of rj45 cable for the poe cam? Also connecting the poe switch to the DVR with a normal cat5 rj45 will that be OK also?

If you have any other solution or a easier work around please feel free to advise.

Thank you.

Regards

Tek

Hi @Tek2020

I think what you describe will work but your explanation of the set up is a little messy, below is how we would describe what you are trying to set up:

Connect the PoE switch to your router (directly to a port on the router or if you are in an office or modern home you may have wall ports around the building that run back to the router), then connect the DVR to the switch and the camera to the switch with 2 lengths of Cat5e or Cat6 cable. With both devices connected to the switch and the switch connected to the router both devices will now be on your local network and you can add the camera to the DVR over the local network using its IP address.

As you will see in the above explanation we would recommend that you use either Cat5e cable or Cat6 cable

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Are the two devices I listed i.e switch and camera ok for the job? Or can anyone recommend which one I should get? Once I purchase the equipment I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Thabk you.

The PoE Switch should be fine but we would be careful using HiLook/HiWatch consumer IP cameras with a professional Hikvision DVR as we have seen issues when using models from these different Hikvision brands.

We would recommend the equivalent professional Hikvision 4MP Dome camera - DS-2CD2145FWD-I

I'll avoid the ones you mentioned. Thank you. The dome one you recommend was the one I was looking at. Can the angle on the camera lens be adjusted witg this one?
Thank you.

Yes, the Hikvision cameras have 3-axis of adjustment (rotate, pan, tilt) and if you look at the datasheet you will see the details of how far you can adjust the position of the camera:

Pan: 0° to 355°, tilt: 0° to 75°, rotate: 0° to 355°

So Hikvision DS-2CD2145FWD-I 4MP is definitely a PoE one? This doesn't need additional power? Simply plug it to a cat5e and it's all good to go. Thanks.

Yes, plug the camera into the PoE switch with a single network cable and that will provide both data & power for the camera.

Back