01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help me decide please

Balleballe

I need a 4 camera cctv setup on my house and the my installer has given me 2 options.

He recommended POC installation for a neater job and has given me the choice of a 5mp hikvision system or an 8mp rebranded dahua system made by 'prolux' wired with a cat 5 cable. Both are similar in price. I'm leaning towards the prolux as for the same price I can get 8mp with audio and starlight but he thinks the hikvision app is easier to use and generally better as I'll be using my smartphone mainly.

The two cameras are:

Prolux PXC-620F8W-AS
Hikvision DS- 2CE16H0T-IT3E

The prolux is the better camera by spec but looking at an online camparison on hd-cvi and hd-tvi is seems the hd-tvi gives better image quality for the same camera.

I'm a total newbie with this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the links to the 2 cameras:

Hard to compare.
I have never heard of Prolux, but Dahua are a strong competitor to Hikvision.
Anything re-badged tends to be one step further away from the manufacturing brand, and therefore tends not to be developed, updated, or sometimes even 'fixed' if there are say hacking issues or performance problems.
We only offer IP cameras, so never get hands-on with co-ax based solutions.
With that limited info, and your installer's preference for the Hik App, I think the Hikvision solution may be best long-term.

I was looking at IP cameras but this specific installer said that they're a lot more expensive and 'tricky' to install. Not sure if this is the case though, i was simply after minimal wiring both internally and externally.

I asked him what he had in his home and he said IP, so that was confusing.

Would you agree with his opinion of IP cameras?

Ahem, check the name of our website!

No difference in the cabling nowadays; power over co-ax equals power over ethernet.

The performance of analogue cameras now competes well with IP cameras. For a long while IP cameras were able to exceed the resolutions that analogue and co-ax could achieve, but the Chinese manufacturers have developed technologies that now deliver high resolution over co-ax.

A co-ax based solution is probably simpler for an installer to install.

Analogue cameras are cheaper - they don't need the network tech/circuits within the cameras.

We find that most people nowadays just want network/IP cameras.
Easy to add - a network cable and POE.
Easy to set up, access, configure, optimise.
Future proof - replace with a 16K camera in 5 years time on the end of the same network cable to the camera position.
Network cabling is now very cheap and widely accepted, all electricians are familiar with mass wiring properties with network cables, terminating RJ45 connectors, etc.

Thanks.

Any recommendations for a decent (ideally 8mp) IP camera that's not overly expensive? Thanks

Back