01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help needed selecting a system

fuzzy

Hi,

I'm looking to install a two camera system for the front of my house (one quite high up under the soffit and another about 2.5m off the ground above the garage). This is mostly relating to an ex-partner harassment situation and needing to monitor for damage and possibly use as evidence (rather than general security although that's an added bonus).

Key thing for me is good night time performance and getting a good enough picture to ID someone

In my mind I was thinking about 2 x DS-2CD2385G1-I, might be a bit overkill but the camera costs themselves don't seem much cheaper when dropping down the MP range and these seem to be the latest models from Hikvision (and I figure newer is usually better).

Talking to a local install company though they mentioned they recommend 2MP for best night time performance as it works better with IR, not sure I follow the logic of that myself but as they are recommending a cheaper option I wonder if they're indeed correct? That said they ended up quoting for 2 x 6MP cameras...

The cameras they quoted for were DS-2CD2363G0-I but is that just an older model of the DS-2CD2365G1-I ? If so I think I'd rather the newer model.

The DS-2CD2363G0-I is EasyIP 2+ and the other is EasyIP 3 but I can't see anything that's different between those two, what does it affect (e.g. choice of NVR)?

The DS-2CD2365G1-I has Darkfighter tech but my understanding is this is for a better colour image in low light conditions? I'm mostly looking for good IR performance so is it irrelevant for me? Also where is the IR light on this model? I can't see a separate 'lens' like the other model has, is it still as good (or better) in IR mode (i.e. no bleeding)?

Do these camera always record at a fixed frame rate or is that adjustable? I only really need to have 7-10 days continuous recording so if they could be upped in frame rate that would be of interest (and is so is the storage requirement directly proportionate to the frame rate, i.e. 40fps requiring twice the storage of 20fps or does the CODEC come into it)?

For the NVR they haven't spec'd the model just that it's: 4 Channel 4K 1080P POE H265+ 2TB. From some googling I reckon it's something in the HiLook NVR-100MH line, is that any good or should I be getting something in the DS-7600 line and if so which (4 channel is enough), what's the 'embedded' option refer to on some of the variants? I don't really need any of the fancy face detection and other intelligent options so if that's the only difference with more expensive monitors I may as well stick with a cheaper one. Also some spec.s say 1 x 4k channel or 4 x 1080p - but what about 2 x 4k? Is 40Mb input rate OK for that?

Finally the guy mentioned hooking the NVR up to my PC could be a hassle to get working (but via an app on my iPad would be simple). I figured the NVR would have a web-site built in so once it had an IP I could just connect to it via my LAN (although ideally the NVR would connect to my router via WiFi if that were possible)? Or is that not the case? I would mostly be viewing footage either on the NVR's monitor or on my iPad but if I'm going to have to extract and edit footage to send off to the police (or just view the footage at higher resolution) I need to get it on my PC (and preferably without using an SD card or USB stick).

Sorry - lots of questions above! I guess I'm just keen to make sure I don't end up buying previous gen tech when for not much (if any) more I could be getting the latest model and also confused about NVR options.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

You're definitely on the right path in regards to your camera choice, let me answer your questions below to help further.

It is fair to say that more megapixels does not always mean better image quality at night. Simply put, the pixel size is larger on the lower MP options which allows for more light to hit the sensor. Usually a 4MP camera is perfectly suitable for to get a good image result at low light levels.

One of the most noticeable differences between the Easy IP 2.0+ and 3.0 range is the addition of the DarkFighter technology, this post explains the differences between the Easy IP ranges in more detail - Hikvision Easy IP 4.0 vs Easy IP 3.0 vs Easy IP 2.0+ What is the difference?

You mentioned that a good nighttime performance is key so I would definitely recommend a camera powered by DarkFighter for that extra back up. The majority of the newer models have this feature anyway. Although IR is important to you, sometimes a camera with a powerful IR range may be too much for more residential areas, causing glare and reflection and overall overexposure. A combination of DarkFighter and an IR range of around 30 meters sounds like it would be perfect for your set up.

On the 2365-G1-I, the IR LED's are found on the outer black circle, above and below the lens.

You can adjust the frame rate that the camera records at, a lot of the settings can be adjusted to help you get the best optimization for the camera / storage. We typically think that 15fps is more than suitable.

When it comes to an NVR, recommended for two cameras is the DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) which can hold up to four cameras. If you think that down the line you are likely to add more cameras to your system, then we like to recommend the DS-7608-NI-I2 to better future proof your system.

We actually find that a PC would be easier to extract files like you mention. Be careful if you are editing footage as this may be classed as tampering with evidence if the footage was ever needed by the police or in court. The HikConnect app is great for monitoring remotely but you will be limited when trying to obtain footage, particularly of large files.

To sum up, your ideal camera choice would be between;
4mp - DS-2C2345FWD-I
6mp - DS-2CD2365G1-I

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions just let us know, or you can email us at info@use-ip.co.uk

Thanks
Emma

Thanks Emma, very helpful info!

Just one query with the DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) it looks like the connection from my PC to it would need to be via Ethernet cable (unless I could get something like the VONETS VAP11G-300 300Mbps Wifi Bridge Mini Wifi Range Extender/Repeater/Signal Booster,Wireless Access Points AP for Dreambox Xbox PS3 Network Printer-Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories working). Is there a similar NVR model with built-in WiFi (for the viewing access, not cameras) as the NVR is going to be on the other side of the room to my router (easier that way for the PoE cable routing and it can live in a cupboard which should mean fan noise won't be an issue)

Hi,

No problem at all.

The product you linked to is not one that we are familiar with so it is hard to give much information on it. There are no Hikvision NVR's with wireless LAN, people often use a Powerline device with their NVR which is connected via their mains cabling.

That should provide a solution for you :)

Emma

Back