01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help please! Existing setup adding a new camera

robodan

Hey guys, first post so hope I am doing this right & not falling foul of any rules?

A friend of mine had a couple of cowboys come along and install his cctv system back in 2016. long story short, they didn't waterproof the rj45 connections & ran about 7 cameras into one of the POE ports on the back of the NVR!

Back in 2016 I sorted this out for him, we had to replace a few cameras due to corrosion on the contacts etc, and I moved the 7 cameras off the POE port into the Lan port instead. He has 12 in total, 5 via the POE ports direct & the others in a different part of his land, hence they are in the LAN port via a separate POE switch in the barn. Since I sorted this out for him in 2016 the systems has ran flawlessly.

However, he now wants to add another camera into the barn area. I know the NVR will support an extra camera this way. But what I also remember, is having to set a 'master' password or something on the cameras connected via the LAN, and this password had to match what was on the NVR, does this sound about right?

I remember emailing him a detailed breakdown of the passwords used, however this is no longer available! I have just spent the last hour going through my emails & his, no joy at all! Is there any way we can get the password off the box at all?

He can connect to the system via his IVMS installs on his phone & office PC, I have tried all the combinations of passwords I can guess and attempted connection via IVMS on another device with no joy at all.

I am not sure what model NVR it is, will find out tomorrow.

Shall I just start again a fresh? if Yes, shall I upgrade the firmware on the box? Anyway of saving the recordings? How would I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @robodan

If you are using K-Series NVR with the old GUI and firmware, then you may be in luck and not need to start completely afresh.

On our DS-7604NI-K1/4P (firmware v3.4.103 build181226), you are able to reveal the password of all the connected cameras, which is the password that you will need to set on the new one. You can do this by going to:

Menu > Camera > IP Camera > Show password of IP camera (tick this box)

Enter the NVR password when you're asked to, and the password for each camera will be revealed beside it.

The tickbox may also be called "IP channel password is visible", which you can see in the second screenshot of this tutorial:
[Tutorial Megathread] Getting Started With Your Hikvision System - Adding Hikvision Cameras to an NVR

If you have a K-Series NVR but no tickbox like this, then you might be able to downgrade/upgrade to this same firmware, which should give you the option to see the passwords - V3.4.103_build181226

Just make sure to upgrade the firmware again to the latest as soon as you're done, which is here - V4.30.061 build210313

As if by a miracle his wife printed off my email! I have just remotely activated the new camera & added it into the camera stream! Very relieved!

FYi the NVR is a DS-7732NI-E4/16P running firmware 3.4.2

Is it worth updating? Any things to be aware of if I do update?

Cheers :)

Ah this is an annoying turn of events. now all the cameras are offline via the mobile app and its reporting 'device is not registered in the ddns' Why? Was fine yesterday evening :mad:

I think this was quite a common issue with iVMS-4500, which is no longer supported as Hikvision has replaced it with Hik-Connect, so you're probably best adding the NVR to the newer app if you haven't already, as you do not need to set up DDNS or port forwarding for it to work:

To get the camera showing again in iVMS-4500, you could try disabling and re-enabling uPNP in the NVR's web browser interface, which has apparently solved the same issue as others - go to:

Configuration > System > Network > Basic Settings > NAT

1634204162958.png

Updating the firmware may help too (and always recommended), this is where to find the latest version - V3.4.98 build171121

I don't believe that there are any major changes to be cautious of, but there are release notes for some of the versions in between if you check each in the above link, which explain some of the changes/improvements.

Here is our guide for updating firmware:

Back