01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help please selecting the correct Hikvision camera

Andy_W

Hi,

Looking to replace my existing basic cameras (Reolink) with better quality turrets with smart features that are compatible with my Synology NAS. I’ve decided on the 4mm version of either the DS-2CD2347G2-LU or the DS-2CD2346G2-IU

Hoping that you can help with two newbie (apologies) questions please:
  1. Spiders and their webs are a constant problem as the house has tile cladding just above where the cameras are mounted. Whilst the smart features will help, I am concerned that the IR on the 2346G2 will still attract the spiders. Given the 2347G2 does not use IR but there is minimal ambient light at night in our area, would the 2347G2 AcuSense be able to trigger recording if a line was crossed, given that it has no IR? If so, that would be the answer to my spider issue!
  2. Can both be mounted on a vertical wall looking along the side of the house? I believe the camera ball just has to be rotated 90 degrees but the user manuals don’t appear to cover the camera being mounted on a vertical wall.

@Andy_W I use colorvu cameras (DS-2CD2347G1-LU) and still get spider webs, I clean them every 2 or 3 days. Intrusion detection works well for me, better than motion detection.

Mine are wall mounted on junction boxes and point about 45 degrees from the wall. Any less would cause light to reflect back from the wall and give you exposure problems. you may need a standoff bracket.

Hi @Andy_W

The less ambient light there is available to the ColorVu cameras, the less likely it is you will be able to generate a strong colour image and in turn, as the analytics rely on the quality of the camera's video feed, the less likely they will work reliably. Ideally, you would want something like a streetlight in the background to be confident in smart events working well. A camera with IR would definitely be the safer bet as it guarantees you a full-resolution image in low light.

Also, I don't believe the AcuSense cameras are fully compatible with Synology's Surveillance Station app yet, so I would avoid the two cameras you mention.

Synology list all of the cameras that they have tested and confirm are fully compatible here:

As @David mentions, the G1 ColorVu models (e.g. DS-2CD2347G1-LU) are listed, and the DS-2CD2345FWD-I would be the closest alternative to the DS-2CD2346G2-IU that works.

To be able to use any AcuSense features, you will need to use an I-Series Hikvision NVR (or use the cameras standalone and recording to onboard microSD cards).

Hi @David and @Kyle

Thank you both for your replies. That has certainly added some additional considerations and I must admit that I had overlooked the Synology compatability guide. I guess it comes down to whether I want to take a gamble on Synology subsequently listing the models as compatible at some point. In the meantime, presumably I could use them with normal motion detection and if that didnt work, I would have to buy a dedicated NVR as suggested. Given that I will probably have to purchase a couple of additional Synology licences anyway, a new NVR is not out of the question.

I was interested to read Kyle's comment that "the less ambient light there is available to the ColorVu cameras, the less likely it is you will be able to generate a strong colour image and in turn, as the analytics rely on the quality of the camera's video feed, the less likely they will work reliably". There is a street light, but it is 20 yards down the road, shielded by a large tree. Therefore, there is very little ambient light which a 2347 series camera could use. As the G2 version has Acusense, I had hoped it could work with minimal light to trigger the LED lights, but I guess I was being hopeful.

The 2346 model with IR therefore sounds like my way forward if I want to gamble on Synology compatability or go with the DS-2CD2345FWD-I for confirmed compatability but slightly older model.

@Andy_W I use colorvu cameras (DS-2CD2347G1-LU) and still get spider webs, I clean them every 2 or 3 days. Intrusion detection works well for me, better than motion detection.

Mine are wall mounted on junction boxes and point about 45 degrees from the wall. Any less would cause light to reflect back from the wall and give you exposure problems. you may need a standoff bracket.
Interested to read that you are still having to regularly clear the spiders webs. I had hoped that the DS-2CD2347G1-LU would be less likely to attract the spiders as it does not use IR.

You mention that Intrusion detection works well for you. Presumably, you have a good level of ambient light that the camera can use?

Two of the cameras would be angled at 35-40 degrees from the wall, but the third probably needs to be more parallel, so a standoff bracket may be the answer.

Interested to read that you are still having to regularly clear the spiders webs. I had hoped that the DS-2CD2347G1-LU would be less likely to attract the spiders as it does not use IR.
Spider wise I think the camera shape helps, I seem to have less web building with the colorvu than my older Hik bullet cams (2CD2055FWD-I). The cameras are mounted at 1.8m which makes them easier to clean.

You mention that Intrusion detection works well for you. Presumably, you have a good level of ambient light that the camera can use?
The colorvu led is on (low level) from dusk to dawn. In the image below you can see the level of ambient lighting I have, Intrusion detection will pickup hedgehogs crossing the lawn at the far tree. I also use High Light Compensation (HLC) to reduce the impact of car headlights, HLC also darkens the image.

I get good colour video and pictures of anyone close to the house, face is easily recognisable.

Since taking this picture the lefthand streetlight has failed and detection performance has hardly changed.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 05.04.34.png

Two of the cameras would be angled at 35-40 degrees from the wall, but the third probably needs to be more parallel, so a standoff bracket may be the answer.
A standoff bracket would be best, you can also use BLC to compensate for any light reflecting off the wall. Take the time to adjust the camera image to what you want, consider day, night, car headlights and security lights. My image looks dark but I get a good facial / body image at 1m to 3m and can read car reg plates at 4m at night with headlights on.

Andy, maybe these images will help. The first pic is from a 2355 5mp at midnight, with a streetlight about 100 feet to the right:

10.0.0.32_02_20210428100745175.jpg

This picture is with an older 2347G1 4mp at midnight. Huge difference. I would assume the G2's are even better.

10.0.0.32_02_20210429075624971.jpg

Last edited:
@David and @fullboogie,

That is brilliant. Thank you both for your comments and images. The 2347 is impressive!

Having given it some thought, IR will just attract more of the spiders. You can't stop nature, so I am either going to need to mount a separate IR unit for each location or increase the number of PIR lights.

I think I will go with the DS-2CD2347G1-LU or possibly the G2 if I feel like taking a gamble with future Synology compatability. If I need more illumination, I'll just have to use the inbuilt LEDs or fit the extra PIR lights.

I'm so impressed with these 2347's that I've installed another one today - and ordered another two to replace some 2355's I've had for 3 years. The low light capabilities of these cameras are beyond my expectations. They blow away my 2355's and 2385's.

Back