01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with CCTV please - BNC to POE

skuk21

Hi Guys

looking for your advice, please.

I have a Swann CCTV system (DVR 4-4400) connected to 3 Swann bullet cameras and 1 Swann PTZ Camera. The system was working fine, but during recent home renovations, I decided in conjunction with my electrician to upgrade all the cabling to cat 5E (as I'd be swapped out to a POE system at some point in the future). The chap told me that he would install converters and the system would work was as is. All of the cables were upgraded and the electrician's work was done, but the house renovations continued and he said he would be back but has disappeared.

I have purchased the following adaptors:

BW 1 Channel CCTV Via Twisted Video Balun Transceiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy BW 1 Channel CCTV Via Twisted Video Balun Transceiver at Amazon UK.
www.amazon.co.uk

FULARR® 20Pcs Professional BNC Connector Kit, 10 Pairs BNC Male Plug & Female Socket Screw Terminal Block Adapter, BNC Video Balun Connector for Coax Cat5 Cat6 to CCTV DVR TV Video Cameras: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Shop FULARR® 20Pcs Professional BNC Connector Kit, 10 Pairs BNC Male Plug & Female Socket Screw Terminal Block Adapter, BNC Video Balun Connector for Coax Cat5 Cat6 to CCTV DVR TV Video Cameras. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.
www.amazon.co.uk

Everything is wired in, initially one of the cameras worked but in black and white, and the other cameras do not work. I am guessing this is a power-related issue?

There are 4 pairs of cable in each ethernet cable, I am using a pair each for +video, -video, +power and -power. On the PTZ camera I am using a pair for +power, -power and a single cable for +video,-video and the remaining 2 cables for +PTZ and -PTZ.

At present, when everything is connected, I am getting VIDEO FAIL for all 4 channels. Any advice is much appreciated, please.

How are you powering the camera? Are you putting 12v DC on two of the cores of the cat5? If so that is likely you issue. the voltage drop on the 24/26 swg cat 5 cores will be too much. POE runs up to 48V normally not 12v. Also your Swann system uses coaxial cable for video. I don't think you can send raw video down Cat 5 without baluns?

Back