01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with NVR selection

Monahank

Hi all,

I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I bought a couple of IP cameras a while ago (both cameras are: Hikvision DS-2CD3132-I POE IP).

I sucessfully set these cameras up on their own, connecting to my home network and can view them through the web interface, or via my mobile (but only when I'm at home).

Now I'm looking to take it one step further and hook them up to an NVR so I can record and also access the cameras remotely (Apparently I bought grey market Hikvisions and I can't seem to get set up remotely).

I'm looking for a suitable NVR and spotted this:

HiWatch by HIKVision CCTV NVR-104-A/4P 4 Channel 4MP IP Network NVR Recorder, H.264+

To me, from what I can see, that would meet my requirements. But I have a few questions:

1. Will the fact that the two cameras a grey market imports, have any impact on the NVR's ability to connect to them?

2. I have a spare 120gb SSD drive sitting around the house. Do you think that#s sufficient space for recording maybe a few days worth of video at a time - or would I be better getting it pre-installed with a 1TB drive?

3. Are there any other/cheaper options out there that will allow me to view the cameras remotely and record video?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the delay in responding:
1. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems connecting your cameras to that NVR (we don't offer HiWatch, so can't really comment much more on it). It's probably best if you check with the supplier of that NVR. Check also that you can use it with HikVision's Hik-Connect portal (for ease of internet access setup), or if there's an equivalent service offered for HiWatch.
2. A 120GB drive will probably only give you 3 or 4 days of recording for two cameras.
3. I don't think you'll find anything much cheaper.

Bear in mind any future plans you might have.
The NVR is the heart of your system.
It is a very basic NVR.
You won't be able to add high-res 4K/8MP cameras nor use h.265+ in the future.

About £30 more gets you a more future-proof HikVision-branded model:
Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1-4P | 4 Channel Network Video Recorder
Which we know accepts 4K cameras, h.265+ and can be set up via the Hik-Connect portal.

Back