01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with the correct set up for my home surveillance please.

Gazzer

Hi guys I’m new to this forum hope your all well.

I have recently bought my first house semi detached and I’m wanting a 4 camera set up,
I don’t know what is best to go with NVR/DVR id love to be able to pop my 4K tv on and be able to see it on there as well as my iPhone. Wireless would be awsome but there just not good enough for what I want I don’t think on top of that all my house walls are brick so single may be a

wires I love it to be simple as possible as I cannot run them into my attic due to it just been done out, so there going to have to run around my out side wall under the gutter and meet at the front of my house then down to the wall into a hole into my front room where the router is.

id like to have good cameras 4mp and up turret. I love the idea of colourvue , acusense, maybe even live guard.

Back garden I want one camera in the far back corner looking down on my back door kitchen window and back gate but covers some of my garden that goes back 30ft has a garden light that comes on by a sensor

Side of house I want 2 cameras one at front looking up my drive to my garage and covers one car and back gate I have a LED garage light that comes on when it senses something. Other camera back corner looking down my drive covering both cars and front garden entry, no additional light apart from street light.

from of house far corner looking down into front garden, drive, car and covering my front porch, my porch goes back 4 ft so if never see anyone in there at my door but I’d see them going too it, porch also has an LED light on a sensor.

Sorry about this complicated post, I just want to make the right purchase and not have to buy twice.

if any pictures are needed I can post some thank you guys so much.

The real question is: What is your budget? Like anything else, you get what you pay for. A couple of thoughts if you're willing to get the good stuff:

Get an I-series NVR.

Don't get caught up in megapixels. While a "4K" camera is good during the day, it's not that great at night. A good 4mp camera will be much better at night, particularly the colorvue cameras.

I won't touch wifi cameras due to connection, signal, and throughput problems.

Read, read, read. Do your research, read everything you can, bookmark all the good threads, and then start making a list of what you want.

The real question is: What is your budget? Like anything else, you get what you pay for. A couple of thoughts if you're willing to get the good stuff:

Get an I-series NVR.

Don't get caught up in megapixels. While a "4K" camera is good during the day, it's not that great at night. A good 4mp camera will be much better at night, particularly the colorvue cameras.

I won't touch wifi cameras due to connection, signal, and throughput problems.

Read, read, read. Do your research, read everything you can, bookmark all the good threads, and then start making a list of what you want.
Thank you fullboogie

my budget is around 1k.
I really like the hikvison stuff looks great, anyone tried the live guard cameras are they good.
will I be able to run the I series NVR and connect to my tv and iPhone.

That's going to be tough. An I-series is about $500, plus $125 per hard drive. $200-ish per camera, plus cabling, monitor, battery backup, etc.

wasn’t expecting that much to be fair maybe I can expand over time and get 2 cameras to start. I’m from UK so £ but not much different lol, do I need a hard drive per camera or will one do them all only looking to back up 1 months worth or so at a time. Ye I’m wanting the best so price is always gonna be an issue I’m guessing.

I started out with just 3 cameras and grew the system over time. You need at least one hard drive for the NVR.

Sometimes I forget this is a UK site so sorry for the $$$ :D

I really like the hikvison stuff looks great, anyone tried the live guard cameras are they good.
The live guard cameras have not quite reached us yet in the UK - expected late this month/early next month (according to my supplier). Live Guard is what they have renamed the models that feature strobe light and speaker. Currently you can get AcuSense only turret cameras in both 4 and 8 megapixel with the feature, but they are not ColorVu - they are the DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL and DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL models. The existing ColorVu model that also has AcuSense is the DS-2CD2347G2 - this is available with microphone but not speaker and strobe light. The new live guard model will be DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL (C). The new range will have similar part numbers except for the (C) at the end. It's a bit confusing as they are different, with the existing G2 models using G3 platform firmware and the newer G2 (C) models using G5 platform firmware. Hikvision do like to make things complicated.....

Last edited:
I started out with just 3 cameras and grew the system over time. You need at least one hard drive for the NVR.

Sometimes I forget this is a UK site so sorry for the $$$ :D
Lmao buddy np few hundred $$$ is a few hundred spare haha ye I can get o W and upgrade later with another.

The live guard cameras have not quite reached us yet in the UK - expected late this month/early next month (according to my supplier). Live Guard is what they have renamed the models that feature strobe light and speaker. Currently you can get AcuSense only turret cameras in both 4 and 8 megapixel with the feature, but they are not ColorVu - they are the DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL and DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL models. The existing ColorVu model that also has AcuSense is the DS-2CD2347G2 - this is available with microphone but not speaker and strobe light. The new live guard model will be DS-2CD2347G2-ISU/SL (C). The new range will have similar part numbers except for the (C) at the end. It's a bit confusing as they are different, with the existing G2 models using G3 platform firmware and the newer G2 (C) models using G5 platform firmware. Hikvision do like to make things complicated.....
Thank you JB with these been on a house I’m thinking the live guard may be abit over the top with the speaker siren and flashing light but for my back garden and side of house may get away with them just not the front. Front I could pop the gen 2 colourvu and acusense.
I’ll need the best NVR too I’m guessing to run these live guard cameras.
I’m going to get some pictures of my house so you guys can maybe help with where to put them and also what focal lens to go for to cover my areas properly.

Thank you JB with these been on a house I’m thinking the live guard may be abit over the top with the speaker siren and flashing light but for my back garden and side of house may get away with them just not the front. Front I could pop the gen 2 colourvu and acusense.
I’ll need the best NVR too I’m guessing to run these live guard cameras.
I’m going to get some pictures of my house so you guys can maybe help with where to put them and also what focal lens to go for to cover my areas properly.
A couple of mine have the speaker and strobe light but I’m not using all of the features. I use the speaker for two way audio with a camera placed directly next to the front door. With a well set up line crossing alarm this removes the need for a video door bell. The issue with the audible alarms is getting them set up with regard to scheduling or arming/disarming. They’re fully configurable but there’s always going to be the odd occasion when you wander in to your garden out of hours or with it set just to get shouted at by your own system!

Yes you’re correct - for the best experience you want the I series NVR. It is possible to have the cameras on other models but setup becomes a bit convoluted as to whether you need to access a specific setting on the NVR or direct in the camera because it’s not available on the NVR.

The viewing angles are quite extreme and I’d say for most cases 4mm will provide the wide angle views. The 2.8mm are over 105 degrees - usually too wide with increased image distortion.

A couple of mine have the speaker and strobe light but I’m not using all of the features. I use the speaker for two way audio with a camera placed directly next to the front door. With a well set up line crossing alarm this removes the need for a video door bell. The issue with the audible alarms is getting them set up with regard to scheduling or arming/disarming. They’re fully configurable but there’s always going to be the odd occasion when you wander in to your garden out of hours or with it set just to get shouted at by your own system!

Yes you’re correct - for the best experience you want the I series NVR. It is possible to have the cameras on other models but setup becomes a bit convoluted as to whether you need to access a specific setting on the NVR or direct in the camera because it’s not available on the NVR.

The viewing angles are quite extreme and I’d say for most cases 4mm will provide the wide angle views. The 2.8mm are over 105 degrees - usually too wide with increased image distortion.
If there around the same price I’ll just get all of the live guard ones but if price is fairly different then I’ll cover my back garden with one and rest of house with a AcuSense and colourvu, with audio.

maybe only my back garden that I need a wide view front isn’t too big and drive is narrow.

front garden is 15ft long and 15ft wide.

Drive is 60 ft long from garage to front and 9ft wide. I think ill need 2 cameras one looking up to garage one Looking down to front of my house

back garden is 25ft long by 15ft wide.

Attachments

• D32CBAA9-5FE7-4DE0-B1A8-74E56BBBD2FE.jpeg
    D32CBAA9-5FE7-4DE0-B1A8-74E56BBBD2FE.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 541B5640-A319-4456-B6B5-752D2F08EEF1.jpeg
    541B5640-A319-4456-B6B5-752D2F08EEF1.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 621E8499-335D-414E-9F96-834448067D3D.jpeg
    621E8499-335D-414E-9F96-834448067D3D.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 7F8918CE-9BC6-457D-99D3-46D267CEFF87.jpeg
    7F8918CE-9BC6-457D-99D3-46D267CEFF87.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 175
If there around the same price I’ll just get all of the live guard ones but if price is fairly different then I’ll cover my back garden with one and rest of house with a AcuSense and colourvu, with audio.

maybe only my back garden that I need a wide view front isn’t too big and drive is narrow.

front garden is 15ft long and 15ft wide.

Drive is 60 ft long from garage to front and 9ft wide. I think ill need 2 cameras one looking up to garage one Looking down to front of my house

back garden is 25ft long by 15ft wide.

Attachments

• 81F9907A-7790-4E3D-8132-E5DB80A11A22.jpeg
    81F9907A-7790-4E3D-8132-E5DB80A11A22.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 179
  • 2A3A34B6-9DCB-41EC-96E5-A6E8287B2BE2.jpeg
    2A3A34B6-9DCB-41EC-96E5-A6E8287B2BE2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 184
  • D49FD2A2-FB4F-4B95-BCEA-6B473E1D82EF.jpeg
    D49FD2A2-FB4F-4B95-BCEA-6B473E1D82EF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 184
  • 1E13FE0D-D7AF-4E73-8580-41E9568CAA23.jpeg