01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with what to buy

Moreno5

Hi Guys,

I am new to the CCTV world but would like to upgrade a system which is already in the house I have just purchased.

The pre-existing system has a Hikvision DVR with 6 cameras which I would like to upgrade and extend. Currently it looks like all cameras are connected by Ethernet but terminated in BNC….didn’t even know this was possible. This as far as I understand allows me to swap over to IP without running any new cable but I will have to learn how to terminate RJ45.

I have a few questions;

1: Can anyone recommend a good 16 channel NVR. Ideally I only need 12ch but not many in that category. I would like it to be able to handle the higher resolution cameras like 8mp. Also, I will be connecting a screen via HDMI to this, do any allow you to cycle through cameras with a remote?

2: Can I have audio and sound recorded through IP on all available cameras on the NVR recommended?

Cameras Needed:

1: Front Door - I am looking for a camera that can sit alongside the front door (recording audio preferable) which can see anyone at the door. Would like this to be as inconspicuous as possible.

2: High Level Front of house - I need a camera which looks out towards the close we live in and points towards the only road. I would like this wide enough to see our car outside our house but also see the rest of the close.

3: Garage – Internal camera with IR to be fitted to ceiling.

4: Garden – 2 x cameras which need to be good in the dark and good resolution. I would like to steer away from bullet type on these ones.

I have some internal cameras which look like PIR sensors which I will be looking to also replace with IP style.

Thanks in advance for your help

Answers to your questions are below:

1) Take a look at this forum post explaining the differences between the Hikvision 16-channel NVR options.

2) Only certain camera models support audio or built-in mic, I will explain which ones do and don't in my below recommendations.

Camera Recommendations

1) DS-2CD2545FWD-IS - the 4MP Mini Dome has 10m IR range so is good for close-range monitoring and does not overexpose the faces of people that approach the door, also the -IS model has Audio I/O and a built-in mic.

2) DS-2CD2385G1-I - the 8MP Turret will give you great detail up to 30m, if you scroll down on the product page you will see the different field of view options and how wide you will be able to see with each option. We would not recommend audio here as most built-in mics have a limited range (usually 5m) and so a camera mounted up high is not going to get any useful audio recordings.

3) DS-2CD2545FWD-I - the 4MP Mini Dome will also work well here as it is a small internal space, if you want audio here as well you could for -IS model I linked above.

4) We would recommend the 2385G1 here as well

For internal use, we would recommend the 2455 5MP Cube cameras as these have built-in PIR and 10m IR range.

Answers to your questions are below:

1) Take a look at this forum post explaining the differences between the Hikvision 16-channel NVR options.

2) Only certain camera models support audio or built-in mic, I will explain which ones do and don't in my below recommendations.

Camera Recommendations

1) DS-2CD2545FWD-IS - the 4MP Mini Dome has 10m IR range so is good for close-range monitoring and does not overexpose the faces of people that approach the door, also the -IS model has Audio I/O and a built-in mic.

2) DS-2CD2385G1-I - the 8MP Turret will give you great detail up to 30m, if you scroll down on the product page you will see the different field of view options and how wide you will be able to see with each option. We would not recommend audio here as most built-in mics have a limited range (usually 5m) and so a camera mounted up high is not going to get any useful audio recordings.

3) DS-2CD2545FWD-I - the 4MP Mini Dome will also work well here as it is a small internal space, if you want audio here as well you could for -IS model I linked above.

4) We would recommend the 2385G1 here as well

For internal use, we would recommend the 2455 5MP Cube cameras as these have built-in PIR and 10m IR range.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I have some further questions;

1: The 2455 5MP Cube Cameras - Will these work on Wifi instead of having to be wired directly to the NVR?

2: Ok, thanks for that great article, very informative. Looks like the DS-7616NI-I2/16P would be the best one for me. How much is this? WIll this allow me to flick through the camera screens with a remote when connected to an external screen via HDMI?

3: DS-2CD2545FWD-IS - Looks perfect, how much is this?

4: DS-2CD2385G1-I - Looks perfect and I agree now thinking about audio and distance.

5: Am i right in assuming that IP cameras do not have to be directly attached to the NVR? Instead can I connect the camera to a POE switch on my network?

thanks again

1) Yes, the 2455 Cube camera can be connected wirelessly

2) It is possible to use a remote with a Hikvision NVR but most people find it easier to operate the NVR on a direct monitor using a USB mouse.

5) Correct, the cameras can be directly connected to the NVR, connected to a PoE Injector/switch, or a mix of both.

I cannot give you a price here on the forum as Hikvision requires us as an authorised Hikvision reseller to not show prices online, we would recommend that you go to our webshop and register for an account to see prices online.

Thanks Dan, have signed up and am gonna take a look. Appreciate your time.

Reactions: Dan
Back