01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

hik camera reccomendation for 40m - capture headshots @ nightime

dave h

i have a need for an IP cam for low light night time to pick up facial images as we have a vehicle crime issue on regular basis.

i have hikvision kit currently. Unfortunately the location has bad street lighting , trees etc and i cannot project led lighting over a busy public road to that distance. ive measured out and need a cam that can cover circa 40 metres distance and a that range cover an area of 2 to 4 metres wide

i currently have a hikvision DS-2CD2755FWD-IZS dome on the target area zoomed in - specs are
  • 2.8mm to 12mm varifocal lens.
  • Image Sensor: 1/2.9" Progressive Scan CMOS.
  • IP67-rated for outdoor deployment.
  • IR 30 metres night vision: 0 Lux with IR.
  • Video Compression: H.265+.
  • Wide Dynamic Range: 120 dB.
i run the above camera in colour , and no IR, 100% gain , 1/6 shutter speed - which i think means i lose the detail and get ghosting.

if i switch to BW and inbuilt IR there isn't a dramatic improvement, so probably time to find something more suited with a longer optical zoom lens,( so im not relying so much on digital zoom and better CCD sensor.

The camera doesn't need to be hikvison, or have any smart features like intrusion detection or line crossing, just IP /onvif and so i can record onto a hikvision NVR on a 4 hour window every night..

The bad guys are usually hooded up, but as they walk up a hill i get decent facial pics in the day , ( good enough to secure convictions) , its just really poor at night. I'm in the UK.
192.168.1.62_01_20190607091445523.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @dave h

Your scenario is quite tricky and there are limited options for alternative cameras that might give you some improvement, see the 2 options I would recommend:

1. Hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0-IZS 2MP IR Vari-focal Bullet Network Camera - this is the latest version of this VF Bullet model, it is available in 8-32mm so can see further than your current model and has a larger 1/1.8 sensor than the 2755 so you should see some improvement at night. This model is expensive and there is a cheaper version with the same size sensor - 4B26 - but this is an older model and the sensor technology will not be as new as in the 7A26

2. ColorVu - latest technology from Hikvision, these models have improved sensors to see colour at night but they are only available in fixed lens models.

There may be some options from other brands with similar features to the above models, but seeing as Hikvision is one of the most affordable professional brands, you will likely be looking at double the price for cameras with similar specs from brands like AXIS, ACTi, Mobotix, etc...

Last edited:
Hi Dan, why are the Easy IP 4.0 only available in 4MP, surely if they're the latest version, it should at least match the resolutions of the previous version? Many thanks.

thanks dan, i have an older hik turret, thats well out of warranty , will try a aftermarket fixed lens, before i commit to a pricey purchase, been advised to try one of the new dahua models . Would have preferred hikvison..

hi. Is there any new 2020 model with good zoom and tracking? maybe with ColourVu too? any new models announced worth waiting?

Last edited:
Back