01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik-Connect issues fixed after moving to DNS-over-TLS

thelawnet

I had problems with my Hik-Connect. I have an NVR DS-7608NI-Q1 running V4.3.000 build 200508 and camera DS-2CD2326G1-I running V5.6.0 build 190507. T

Anyway, I could get the NVR to connect to hik-connect but not the camera.

I have since changed my ISP-provided router/ONT into bridge mode, and added a separate OpenWRT-powered router behind that which connects via PPOE.

Here in Indonesia the main ISPs poison (I think this is the word) the DNS and will add extra DNS servers. This is used to block adult websites, etc. Anyway I was suspicious about the role of this in my Hik-Connect connection problems, so I have installed Unbound on the router, which means that there are longer any DNS requests for the ISP to hijack - everything is encrypted.

I think this what fixed my Hik-Connect issues, but I am not 100% sure as I did change the code in the web interface at the same time. Previously it was something like password123, but I noticed that it said you CAN use upper case letters so I changed it to Password123 on the basis that maybe you are expected to numbers AND upper AND lower case letters. It seems that changing the registration code might have triggered something, as it went online after that, but it probably helps also that my DNS is no longer being messed with by the ISP.

Maybe this will help someone.

Back