01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik Connect no remote access

jeffnorman

Hi all

Just been at my mothers trying to set up a DVR/cameras partly so I can keep an eye on her/the place remotely via the app. All set up ok - or so I thought - and headed home.

I've just realised I can't view access the DVR from Hik Connect now, presumably because I'm no longer on the local network.

I just found this thread

I registered for Hik Connect using my mobile device, not the web portal. I used a QR scan to add the DVR. Is it REALLY the case that if you add via QR code it doesn't let you have remote access? I've not read this anywhere else but this site. What a ridiculous idea if so.

It's an hours drive away to my mothers so I'd really like to know I can fix it before I head over there again. Is it just going to be a case of unbinding the DVR (if it's even bound) and re adding it my Hik Connect account via the web portal and the serial number? This will definitely work? Is there anything else I need to do, possibly to my mothers router etc.

Many thanks in advance

Hi Jeff,

Generally, the QR code method for adding ends up being problematic - it is definitely best to add it via the web portal / serial number.

You won't need to do anything specific to the router, you only need to forward ports on your router for remote from a PC, but this isn't required for HIk-Connect.

Just make sure that its uplink speed is enough to cover the outgoing bandwidth of the DVR (you will need to check this on the recorder in Maintenance > Network > Network Stat)

Make sure that the gateway is also correctly set, and that the DNS settings are valid (in System > Network > TCP/IP), these DNS servers should all be fine:

If these settings are correct, then you will need to unbind the DVR from the account when on-site, using SADP:

Then, follow the steps here to add it again in the online portal - you should then be able to connect to it from any network:

That worked a treat. Thank you very much again Kyle.

I have another quick question. I'm struggling to locate a clear explanation of these options shown in my screenshot.

It appears Hik have changed the options recently as older posts have less options than I have. Does Smart Supplement Light refer to the IR light or the LED lights on the camera? I can choose to have this set to 'ON' and Supplement Light Mode to OFF. Does this mean the IR light comes on at night, but not the LED's?

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 12.20.40.png

Although there's no need to setup port forwarding on the router with Hik Connect, it is still required to that NAT is enabled on the DVR/NVR in order for UPnP to automatically map the ports. It may be that it worked while on site as the Hik Connect app was connecting the device locally, directly over the WiFi.

Although there's no need to setup port forwarding on the router with Hik Connect, it is still required to that NAT is enabled on the DVR/NVR in order for UPnP to automatically map the ports. It may be that it worked while on site as the Hik Connect app was connecting the device locally, directly over the WiFi.
I don't use UPnP, is it possible to manually assign the port numbers? similar to port forwarding.

I don't use UPnP, is it possible to manually assign the port numbers? similar to port forwarding.
Yes - in the same way that with port forwarding you can map an external port to a dissimilar internal port, the NAT in the Hikvision menu allows you to manually assign different external to internal port numbers. I still however prefer to use standard port forwarding in the router.

That worked a treat. Thank you very much again Kyle.

I have another quick question. I'm struggling to locate a clear explanation of these options shown in my screenshot.

It appears Hik have changed the options recently as older posts have less options than I have. Does Smart Supplement Light refer to the IR light or the LED lights on the camera? I can choose to have this set to 'ON' and Supplement Light Mode to OFF. Does this mean the IR light comes on at night, but not the LED's?

Thanks

View attachment 5937

Shameless bump. Anyone know the answer? Thanks

Shameless bump. Anyone know the answer? Thanks
If your camera is a ColorVu then there are no IR lights - only the white LED. I believe (but am prepared to be corrected!) that if you have the Smart Supplement Light OFF then the Supplement Light Mode setting has no effect as it's OFF. I have mine set that way as I don't want the white LED on.

Mine, a DS2CD2347G2-LU (which is on firmware 5.5.160_build210416) only has the two options and no "Mode"

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 10.12.56.png

Thanks for all the posts here. Everything has been working perfectly for the past week. HOWEVER....

We now have a new problem unfortunately. Earlier today Hik Connect went down. Just said device offline. I was actually at my mothers at the time. Unfortunately I couldn't solve it whilst I was there, and didn't have my laptop with me. I was trying to do it through my phone. Very irritating.

It appears as though the cause of the problem was a very short power failure. The oven clocks reset, but none of us realised it had even happened for a while. Since then Hik Connect has been saying devices offline.

I restarted the NVR hoping that would solve it, but it didn't. TX/RX light is on. This goes out if you unplug ethernet, but comes back very quickly once plugged back in.

I tried to re add the NVR via the serial number on Hik Connect, but it doesn't find it.

I logged in to the NVR via safari and IP address on my phone.

Under Platform Access, Register Status shows Offline. I assume this is the problem, but how do I get it back online?

IMG_8649.PNG

Perhaps the following might help shed some light. I'm hoping to get it back up and running on Tuesday when I'm due back at my mothers. Any ideas as to why this happened - presumably when the power went out - and how to stop it recurring? Many Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_8650.PNG
    IMG_8650.PNG
    188 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_8651.PNG
    IMG_8651.PNG
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_8653.PNG
    IMG_8653.PNG
    138.7 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_8654.PNG
    IMG_8654.PNG
    179.5 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_8655.PNG
    IMG_8655.PNG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,004
A couple of things to note:

You should never need to re add the device to Hik Connect - you registered it once and have had it online so that’s it.

You have DynDNS enabled - you can disable it as you’ve no account details in there. It won’t do any harm but is not doing anything.

You have NAT enabled but the port mapping is showing as “not valid” This is the problem.

You have your IP address for the NVR set as DHCP so the NVR obtains an address automatically assigned by the router. This is an issue as if your router reboots or powers down it may get assigned a new/different address. Probably what happened during your power blip.

Your best bet is to assign the network details manually and switch from manual to auto in the NAT section (as the standard ports in use by the NVR clash with default services in the BT router)

I can see that your on BT internet so manually set the NVR IP to 192.168.1.250, Subnet to 255.255.255.000, Gateway to 192.168.1.254, DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help.

So I just switch port mapping mode from manual to auto then change IPv4 address, ipv4 subnet mask and default gateway to the values above and it should work?

Apologies for all the questions, I just want to be armed with all the knowledge before I go next week! Do I/can I change the IP addresses through the NVR network settings menus in my last post or does it need to be done through the Bt router settings somehow? I’m guessing I just uncheck DHCP and then I can manually input? Thanks again

Thank you so much for your help.

So I just switch port mapping mode from manual to auto then change IPv4 address, ipv4 subnet mask and default gateway to the values above and it should work?

Apologies for all the questions, I just want to be armed with all the knowledge before I go next week! Do I/can I change the IP addresses through the NVR network settings menus in my last post or does it need to be done through the Bt router settings somehow? I’m guessing I just uncheck DHCP and then I can manually input? Thanks again
Hopefully that should do it and it will sort itself out via UPnP. I don’t usually use UPnP and prefer port forwarding but that’s a whole different setup and would require creating a custom service in the router for the three ports and forwarding that service to the address of the NVR.

The network settings are just changed in the NVR and match those required for the BT setup - no need to do anything with the router for this setup. The BT router will normally assign IP addresses from a pool (group) of addresses when it receives a DHCP request from a device on the network and it will assign those addresses in ascending order. The reason for using the 192.168.1.250 address on the NVR is that it makes it very unlikely that it will ever clash with an address that the router assigns to another device (unless your mother has another 249 network devices)

Back