01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect HIK Connect on Iphone takes at least 30 seconds or more to show my cameras?

colin

Hi - After having 8 cameras installed at great cost at my new home and after downloading the HIK connect app to my iphone, I've noticed that the app takes at least 30 seconds or more to show my cameras in live feed. The installer has gone off line and I dont want to play around in the settings. The DVR to monitor is fine, my bandwidth is 70+Mbps but every time I use the app, it takes too long to show a live feed. I have a camera at my main gate which is essential to see who's there. Can anyone help please?

Are you using the latest version of the App?
From here - Hikvision App Store
(select IOS at the top)

What model DVR do you have please?
What firmware version is that using please?

What is your broadband uplink speed at the camera site?

Are you using the latest version of the App?
From here - Hikvision App Store
(select IOS at the top)

What model DVR do you have please?
What firmware version is that using please?

What is your broadband uplink speed at the camera site?
Hi

my upload speed is 17.9 mbps
The app version is v4 13.1020795
The DVR model: DS-7608NI-K2/8P
Firmware: V4.30.005 build 200628

my upload speeds are different at each site . I have 2 that are wired about 5 from the main hub but all cameras are slow to show live feeds.

Hi

my upload speed is 17.9 mbps
The app version is v4 13.1020795
The DVR model: DS-7608NI-K2/8P
Firmware: V4.30.005 build 200628

my upload speeds are different at each site . I have 2 that are wired about 5 from the main hub but all cameras are slow to show live feeds.
That should read 50m from the DVR and router

my upload speeds are different at each site
Can you elaborate on what you mean please?

Uplink speed is fine - should not present a problem.
App version looks recent/current.
You have an NVR (DVRs are for co-ax cameras).
Again, firmware looks recent/current.
Network cable lengths to the cameras of up to 100m should not cause a problem.

Are your cameras wired directly back to your NVR's camera ports?
Or are the cameras connected to a POE switch on your LAN?

Who is your ISP?
e.g. Virgin Media, BT Business, or whatever.
Their standard router, or your own?

Can you elaborate on what you mean please?

Uplink speed is fine - should not present a problem.
App version looks recent/current.
You have an NVR (DVRs are for co-ax cameras).
Again, firmware looks recent/current.
Network cable lengths to the cameras of up to 100m should not cause a problem.

Are your cameras wired directly back to your NVR's camera ports?
Or are the cameras connected to a POE switch on your LAN?

Who is your ISP?
e.g. Virgin Media, BT Business, or whatever.
Their standard router, or your own?
My cameras are wired back to the NVR and the ISP is Sky

There shouldn't be any delays like that. It's difficult to pinpoint what's not right as it depends how your installer (or you) setup the connection to the system. I have a standard way of setting the systems up for remote access and I find that it's often easier to set it up right first time, than it is to fix it.

My guess is that if you go into the settings of the NVR you will find that the IP address has been set up for DHCP (IP assigned by router) and that it's also setup to use UPnP (automatic port forwarding). It can and usually does work that way but from time to time something goes astray - the internal IP address changes or UPnP doesn't work as well as it should. When that happens there are issues connecting via the Hik Connect service.

The first thing I'd do just to prove that it's an issue with connection to Hik Connect is to try connecting directly to your system while on your WiFi. To do that first find out what the internal IP address of your NVR is. You'll find that in the network settings menu - make a note of it.

In the Hik Connect app:
- Click plus in the top right & select manual adding
- Adding type = IP/Domain
- Alias = Home - WiFi (or anything you like)
- Address = the IP address you noted earlier
- Port = leave at 8000 unless it has been changed - assume it hasn't
- Username = admin
- Password = whatever your NVR admin password is
- Click save in the top right corner

Now you'll have two sites. Check through your cameras using the new site you've just created. If everything is working snappily, the system and it's connection to your network is fine - I imagine it will be. If so you may need to look at setting a static IP address on the NVR, switching off UPnP on the NVR and setting up port forwarding on the sky router. It's not difficult - but it's a shame some installers seem happy to walk away from a job and leave the customer to resolve the remote access setup themselves because they're either lazy or not competent.

There shouldn't be any delays like that. It's difficult to pinpoint what's not right as it depends how your installer (or you) setup the connection to the system. I have a standard way of setting the systems up for remote access and I find that it's often easier to set it up right first time, than it is to fix it.

My guess is that if you go into the settings of the NVR you will find that the IP address has been set up for DHCP (IP assigned by router) and that it's also setup to use UPnP (automatic port forwarding). It can and usually does work that way but from time to time something goes astray - the internal IP address changes or UPnP doesn't work as well as it should. When that happens there are issues connecting via the Hik Connect service.

The first thing I'd do just to prove that it's an issue with connection to Hik Connect is to try connecting directly to your system while on your WiFi. To do that first find out what the internal IP address of your NVR is. You'll find that in the network settings menu - make a note of it.

In the Hik Connect app:
- Click plus in the top right & select manual adding
- Adding type = IP/Domain
- Alias = Home - WiFi (or anything you like)
- Address = the IP address you noted earlier
- Port = leave at 8000 unless it has been changed - assume it hasn't
- Username = admin
- Password = whatever your NVR admin password is
- Click save in the top right corner

Now you'll have two sites. Check through your cameras using the new site you've just created. If everything is working snappily, the system and it's connection to your network is fine - I imagine it will be. If so you may need to look at setting a static IP address on the NVR, switching off UPnP on the NVR and setting up port forwarding on the sky router. It's not difficult - but it's a shame some installers seem happy to walk away from a job and leave the customer to resolve the remote access setup themselves because they're either lazy or not competent.
Thanks for the help Phil and I agree that installers should get this right before going offline. I’ll try your suggestions and let you know how I get on
Many thanks

Thanks JB - I followed your directions and it seems way better - fraction of a second to load. Check it randomly and then hopefully job done

Thanks JB - I followed your directions and it seems way better - fraction of a second to load. Check it randomly and then hopefully job done
Ok. So bear in mind that will only work when you're on you're own WiFi as you're using the local address of the NVR. Once you leave that WiFi network that direct connection won't work.

Any suggestions on how to get it doing the same on 4G?
Yeah - get Hik Connect working ;)

There are numerous ways to set up and configure it. The Hik Connect app with the Hik Connect service are the only way to have all features working. Primarily this means that you can use the Hik Connect app and connect to your system both locally and remotely (4G) using IP addresses or your own Dynamic DNS address. But doing that you won't get push notifications of any events to your phone. For push notifications to work you have to go through the Hik Connect service - bummer.

The connection to the internet can be done with UPnP or Port Forwarding. UPnP tries to negotiate the port mapping automatically with the router while with port forwarding, you switch off UPnP and setup port forwarding in the router. Port forwarding is the method that Hikvision recommend for speed and reliability. I would do things in this order:

1. From memory the Sky router assigns addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx. First you need to set a static IP address in the NVR network settings. I'd use 192.168.0.250 (DHCP will assign addresses starting at the lowest - unless you have 249 other things on the network that'll be fine) In Network > TCP/IP uncheck the DHCP box then set IP to 192.168.0.250, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1, DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  2. Ensure that you disable NAT (Network > NAT)
  3. Change the port numbers in the NVR (Network > Advanced > More Settings) - as the default ones are well known and prone to illegal login attempts. I use three consecutive ports (makes the port forwarding easier in the router) IE http 49000 (from 80), server 49001 (from 8000), RTSP 49002 (from 554). After that you'll access your NVR web page at http://192.168.0.250:49000 if you ever need to
  4. Login to the router at 192.168.0.1. Username is admin password will either be sky, Sky or your WiFi password
  5. In security (I think) find the section called services. Click add, call it CCTV and set the ports as 49000 - 49002 TCP and apply
  6. One tab across click port forwarding. In the incoming rules click add new rule. Select CCTV as the service, source any, destination 192.168.0.250, allow always and apply
  7. In the Hik Connect app for your site (your original one, not the one you added today) click on the settings icon (little hexagon to the right of the site name), configure DDNS. Set port mapping mode to Manual, enter the server port (49001) and the http port (49000) along with the admin username and password
That should be it. You may have to reboot your NVR, sign in and out of Hik Connect to get it back online. You can edit the other site you created with the new internal IP address and server port number. It's handy if Hik Connect fails, you can still access it while on your home WiFi directly)

Last edited:
Time to get my installer back I think, as much as I appreciate your advice and direction, it sounds way off my capability. I will present this to the installer though and I’m very grateful for your help

Time to get my installer back I think, as much as I appreciate your advice and direction, it sounds way off my capability. I will present this to the installer though and I’m very grateful for your help
No problem - they may well disagree with the best way to set it up and what I've described is how I do it. I'm not a fan of the Hik Connect setup myself and usually set them up without the service - using an IP address for the local connection and a DYN DNS address for the remote connection. That makes access from your own network and the internet "direct" in that all you need is working internet and you're not connecting via the manufacturers service.

No problem - they may well disagree with the best way to set it up and what I've described is how I do it. I'm not a fan of the Hik Connect setup myself and usually set them up without the service - using an IP address for the local connection and a DYN DNS address for the remote connection. That makes access from your own network and the internet "direct" in that all you need is working internet and you're not connecting via the manufacturers service.
My original setup was with a dyndns method which wasn't working too well. But I have now got 2 setups on the app, one with the IP addy and the other with dyndns so at least I can choose which one to use dependant on where I am. Fingers crossed its now operational to what I need

My original setup was with a dyndns method which wasn't working too well. But I have now got 2 setups on the app, one with the IP addy and the other with dyndns so at least I can choose which one to use dependant on where I am. Fingers crossed its now operational to what I need
Yeah that is my preferred way of doing it - not using Hik Connect service. Depending on the router you may be able to use just the DYN DNS site all the time, even when on your home WiFi. It just depends on whether the router supports "loopback" (I did research the correct term for it but forgot it again). Some routers will allow you to access an external address from within your LAN (your DYN DNS address) that points back to an address also inside your LAN. If not you just have to remember top switch between "CCTV - Home WiFi" and "CCTV - Remote/4G"

If you have any other problems in future I'd ensure that 1 - you set a static IP address for the recorder - as you never know when something else will grab that address and 2 - set up port forwarding as UPnP doesn't always work too great.

Yeah - get Hik Connect working ;)

There are numerous ways to set up and configure it. The Hik Connect app with the Hik Connect service are the only way to have all features working. Primarily this means that you can use the Hik Connect app and connect to your system both locally and remotely (4G) using IP addresses or your own Dynamic DNS address. But doing that you won't get push notifications of any events to your phone. For push notifications to work you have to go through the Hik Connect service - bummer.

The connection to the internet can be done with UPnP or Port Forwarding. UPnP tries to negotiate the port mapping automatically with the router while with port forwarding, you switch off UPnP and setup port forwarding in the router. Port forwarding is the method that Hikvision recommend for speed and reliability. I would do things in this order:

1. From memory the Sky router assigns addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx. First you need to set a static IP address in the NVR network settings. I'd use 192.168.0.250 (DHCP will assign addresses starting at the lowest - unless you have 249 other things on the network that'll be fine) In Network > TCP/IP uncheck the DHCP box then set IP to 192.168.0.250, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1, DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  2. Ensure that you disable NAT (Network > NAT)
  3. Change the port numbers in the NVR (Network > Advanced > More Settings) - as the default ones are well known and prone to illegal login attempts. I use three consecutive ports (makes the port forwarding easier in the router) IE http 49000 (from 80), server 49001 (from 8000), RTSP 49002 (from 554). After that you'll access your NVR web page at http://192.168.0.250:49000 if you ever need to
  4. Login to the router at 192.168.0.1. Username is admin password will either be sky, Sky or your WiFi password
  5. In security (I think) find the section called services. Click add, call it CCTV and set the ports as 49000 - 49002 TCP and apply
  6. One tab across click port forwarding. In the incoming rules click add new rule. Select CCTV as the service, source any, destination 192.168.0.250, allow always and apply
  7. In the Hik Connect app for your site (your original one, not the one you added today) click on the settings icon (little hexagon to the right of the site name), configure DDNS. Set port mapping mode to Manual, enter the server port (49001) and the http port (49000) along with the admin username and password
That should be it. You may have to reboot your NVR, sign in and out of Hik Connect to get it back online. You can edit the other site you created with the new internal IP address and server port number. It's handy if Hik Connect fails, you can still access it while on your home WiFi directly)
Just wanted to say thank you for this - works a treat and so much quicker to get on the hikconnect app!

Back