01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 2 way audio and NVR recording door monitoring camera?

milleniumaire

I'm currently researching a CCTV solution for my home. I will likely end up with 4 or 5 turret cameras and an NVR, most likely Hikvision. I would also like to consider using a camera in the front door porch with 2 way audio to allow communication via an android mobile and it would be preferable if it would also record on the NVR, in the same way as all other cameras.

Originally, I looked at the Ring doorbell, but decided it would be better to include something that was compatible with a CCTV system.

Is this possible? If so, any advice on which Hikvision camera would be best suited for a small porch.

I appreciate that Hikvision also sell door bell/entry systems, but these don't seem to integrate with their NVR's from what I can tell, but willing to be corrected.

Hi,

I have just done what you've mentioned using the turret DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL (you can use bullet version : DS-2CD2047G2-LU/SL too), mounting it on corner of my front and back door. I would have to confess that I am very new to this stuff so might not know all the settings to make things work smoothly, but, below is my experience so far.

The good stuff:
It has amazing wide angle which covers a lot of area. Front camera covers front drive, road ahead of it and the camera in back door, it literally covers both side of fences and all of the garden (good 100feet) and as I've mounted them under the soffit, they don't look too bulky.

The camera has various light features which can act as PIR on motion detection, strobe on alarm and so on, very useful to alert unwanted guests. The lights are powerful enough, and the bullet version has 40m range though good enough to capture clear images within immediate 15 to 20m without any doubt.

The motion detection and smart events like line crossing, intrusion etc are just very accurate if you set it up correctly.

You can use the stuff like corridor mode, which I have discussed here which is useful in narrow driveway to avoid capturing neighbours land but, still capture lot of driveway.

The alerts are almost instant on Hik-connect and email (I am using gmail smtp setup).

The not so good stuff:
I wanted these particular cameras to use them as two way talk especially if I want to alert someone but, seems there is a lot of lag, and though the mic is very powerful and sensitive to pick lowest volume, the speaker seems useless and hardly has any volume.

Also, though it captures video and audio very nicely, they at times appear to be out of sync, so you'll see person speak something but, their lips won't be in sync with audio.

And lastly, I feel the codecs used by hikvision make it very difficult to see the video/audio in popular players like VLC, Windows Media player etc so you need to download VSplayer from hikvision website, and even that show video/audio out of sync.

As I mentioned, I am new to these and would love any comments and help to improve my hikvision experience especially around video/audio codecs to use for smooth capture of files and playing them on VLC etc. OR setting up two-way audio to make it as good as ring door bells.

Hope it helps.

NVR : DS-7608NI-I2/8P (GUI 4)
Camera for front and back door : DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL

I'm currently researching a CCTV solution for my home. I will likely end up with 4 or 5 turret cameras and an NVR, most likely Hikvision. I would also like to consider using a camera in the front door porch with 2 way audio to allow communication via an android mobile and it would be preferable if it would also record on the NVR, in the same way as all other cameras.

Originally, I looked at the Ring doorbell, but decided it would be better to include something that was compatible with a CCTV system.

Is this possible? If so, any advice on which Hikvision camera would be best suited for a small porch.

I appreciate that Hikvision also sell door bell/entry systems, but these don't seem to integrate with their NVR's from what I can tell, but willing to be corrected.

Hi,

I have just done what you've mentioned using the turret DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL (you can use bullet version : DS-2CD2047G2-LU/SL too), mounting it on corner of my front and back door. I would have to confess that I am very new to this stuff so might not know all the settings to make things work smoothly, but, below is my experience so far.

Hope it helps.

NVR : DS-7608NI-I2/8P (GUI 4)
Camera for front and back door : DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL
Hi, thanks for posting and providing details of your experience, it has definitely been useful.

I will be getting the same NVR and cameras as you, but won't initially be using these for "door access", instead they'll be positioned around the house to provide a "starter" setup, after which I'll decide if I need more cameras to provide additional coverage.

I still haven't decided what to do about the house door, which has a porch, one option would have been to use a turret style camera with two-way comms but it sounds like this isn't brilliant from your experience.

The other option may be to try the Hikvision DS-KV6113-WPE1 video intercom without an indoor station as I've been told by Dan at use-ip this should work.

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have my starter system up and running and so will be able to see first hand what the mic and speakers are like on the cameras.

Back