01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 2546G2 vs 2545 low light performance?

dazulrich

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi,
I have 2545 mini dome at front of house and with some street lighting and IR images could be better.
Anyone any experience with the 2CD2546G2 low light performance? The specs indicate better low light, not not sure how much this shows in real world.
I don't really care about acusense. Maybe should wait for a colorvu mini dome.

Thanks
Ulrich

for the 2545 have you tried configuration> Image BLC/WDR/HLC?
I have problems with a nearby street light and the occasional car headlights. HLC works well for both.

Hi,
I have 2545 mini dome at front of house and with some street lighting and IR images could be better.
Anyone any experience with the 2CD2546G2 low light performance? The specs indicate better low light, not not sure how much this shows in real world.
I don't really care about acusense. Maybe should wait for a colorvu mini dome.

Thanks
Ulrich
I've not used the 2546 as I don't use the mini dome format. However I'll say that there is definitely a visible improvement between the G1 models and G2 models. My recommendation would be just to get the turret (2CD2347G2). That will get you ColorVu and AcuSense in one camera. The turrets are so much better for external use - no reflections or glare from stray light sources, no (or very little) water marking from rain drying on the cover. Some suppliers are designating the domes "internal use only" now despite their IP65 rating. The seals aren't great and I've frequently had issues with moisture getting in them.

Thanks. The mini dome is only tolerable form factor. I understand the benefits of the turret, but not a real option.
I'll play with the image settings a bit more. Maybe I can improve a bit. Never really realised till needed it.

Any luck with trials?
I have 2163G0 on wall near gate. Night IR is very poor (no street lighting) so am looking at 2546G2 given IK10 (it’s 1.6m from ground) and low light on G2 seemingly far better even tho 4mp not 6mp. It’s either that or I’m buying an ir illuminator.
ive tweaked exposure right down on mine which has improved it but nowhere near 30m of night view, even folk walking can blur at night, and fiddling with HCL, etc gave me minimal gain.
interested in your experience and will share mine if I make the jump.

Last edited:
@Dave Howard why not try a colorvu camera using the use-ip 14 day try before you buy? I really like them, good low light performance and colour video at night from the two inbuilt white LED lights.

@Dave Howard . Sorry no. Didn't have any time to play with the low light image over last week. Busy setting up the 2455 cube as the new Puppy cam :)
the 2546G2 doesn't have white supplement light..
your 2163G0 has better low light performance (0.01 lux ) compared to my 2545 (0.014 lux) - while the 2546G2 is listed min illumination of 0.003 Lux.
but really not sure how those numbers translate in picture quality..

@Dave Howard why not try a colorvu camera using the use-ip 14 day try before you buy? I really like them, good low light performance and colour video at night from the two inbuilt white LED lights.
Understood and thanks. Avoiding colorvu perhaps wrongly as don’t want white light with the camera if possible. Do appreciate the benefits and deterrent they can be tho.

Understood and thanks. Avoiding colorvu perhaps wrongly as don’t want white light with the camera if possible. Do appreciate the benefits and deterrent they can be tho.
You mention further up that you'd be prepared to add an IR illuminator if necessary. Another option, if you like the idea of the ColorVu, might be to install some low power lighting in the vicinity controlled by photocell (not sure how much work/hassle this would be for you). The ColorVu models need a surprisingly minimal amount of light to allow the (awful) integral LED's to be disabled, while maintaining a reasonable shutter speed.

You mention further up that you'd be prepared to add an IR illuminator if necessary. Another option, if you like the idea of the ColorVu, might be to install some low power lighting in the vicinity controlled by photocell (not sure how much work/hassle this would be for you). The ColorVu models need a surprisingly minimal amount of light to allow the (awful) integral LED's to be disabled, while maintaining a reasonable shutter speed.
Thanks. My understanding from watching the DAITECH videos that @Dan has pointed to indicates the LEDS can be turned off completely (I hope).
Good point on low light in the area however unfortunately the IR illuminator + camera is preferable given the camera location (see attached).
The annoying and interesting thing is that on the camera covering the drive/two gates is a 2163G0 with low-exposure set and at night i can just see the 2nd set of gates to neighbour, whereas on the other camera showing across the house in the opposite direction is a 2346G1 and i can see the far field gate!
Whilst i know the 2346G1 is 50m IR, I'm really disappointed with the supposed 30m on the 2163G0.

My thinking now is 2163G0 augmented with IR Illuminator or replaced with G2 mini-dome (needs to be IK10). @Dan any other options for G2?
And on the 2346g1 to replace with 8mb G2 turret (this is on a pole in a conifer on my property so less vandal access).
Front Across.jpg
Gates.jpg

Back