01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 64ch Decoding Capability?

Lectrician

Hi.

What does the "Decoding Capability" mean on the spec for the 64ch Hikvision NVR mean?

It says:

Audio & Video Decoding Capability: 3-ch@12 MP (30fps), 5-ch@8 MP (30fps), 6-ch@6 MP (30fps), 10-ch@4 MP (30fps), 20-ch@1080p (30 fps).

If I am connecting 6MP cameras to it, does this mean it can only record 6 channels at a time, so cannot use 24/7 recording? Or I would have to reduce the fps to silly figures?
I'll be honest, I have used 32ch Qvis systems in the past, and these can record happily all 32 cameras at once. The last large job was two 32ch Qvis. I am looking at another larger install, and would prefer a single recorder. Am I confusing myself here? is there any point in a 64ch recorder when it can't record 64 channels?

Hi @Lectrician

See point 2 of my response in the below forum thread:

Decoding capability does not affect the number of cameras that the NVR records, it only relates to live view & playback (e.g. 6ch@6MP [30fps] means that you can live view 6 x 6MP cameras at the same time, the more cameras you try to view at the same time the more reduced the stream resolution will become). The 64-channel NVR will record 64 cameras, as long the bandwidth used by those 64 cameras does not exceed the incoming bandwidth limit of the NVR.

Ah, OK, thanks. That makes sense. Sorry, should have searched the forum, not google.

Reactions: Dan
Back