01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision ANPR Full Snapshot in addition to Plate shot

CamLogic

Hi

Can anyone advise whether the Hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS 2MP ANPR or similar will save the "full" snapshot i.e showing the car passing a threshold in addition to the zoomed in shot of just the numberplate.

All the demo videos I am finding on YouTube focus on the zoomed in cropped number plate which isn't enough for my use case. Evidentially, I require the car with plate passing a threshold (i.e the entrance to private property)

I really need the full shot of the car and also the numberplate as a separate image.
Ideally both saved as snapshots to a FTP site (which I know the standard Hikision cameras do within the event settings).

Thanks

In my experience:
For whatever reason, the web-based "Real-Time Result" (if enabled) always shows a zoomed-in plate view only.

If you link ANPR captures to send an image to FTP you get the full screen capture only. I don't know of a way to get the zoomed in plate view via FTP and I never really bothered trying as the most important thing is the full picture. Of course the FTP method is not necessarily a great way to record and capture images but it's the only one I know of!

Of course the FTP method is not necessarily a great way to record and capture images but it's the only one I know of!

Thanks.

For me, FTP would be pretty easy to pickup files from and forward them on - perhaps from an embedded controller hosting the FTP site and some custom software.

An alternative may be if the file can be written straight to the card's SD storage; and then access is via a mount at OS level. I'd have to have a play to see if that is a viable alternative.

Just to add - I don't know any native way of getting the full image other than the FTP (if there is a way I would like to know it).

I use the FTP method with all my ANPR cameras on multiple sites sending to a single FTP server and then custom scripts to process the images ASAP and get data into a MySQL database for later searching/processing. I also made a near-real-time display feed using Grafana as the front-end.

Also, worth pointing out that to send the FTP image the CAMERA (not NVR) needs to have network access. I recently connected an ANPR camera to the NVR PoE ports but later found that if you do it that way the camera seemingly has no internet access which of course it needs to be able to do the FTP. Again, if there is a way around that issue I would like to learn about it. But for now at that site I changed to run the ANPR camera on a PoE injector and left all the other normal cameras on the NVR directly. That way the ANPR camera can still FTP.

As you say, the full image is the important thing. Do you know if the full file name is record with the plate as part of the file name?
I'm sure there may be a Phyton library I could use in order to snip out just the plate if I needed that once I get the image into a central database.

Glad to hear you have this working with FTP. If I find a native way to get a full image I will let you know. I am still exploring the ISAPI API messages - I'm not sure if there will be anything hidden away in there that may help.

With regards to processing - I would probably expose a REST endpoint on the web somewhere to receive data from sites.
I wanted to explore an embedded controller located with each camera and an external 4g router. This may be over complicating things and introducing more potential remote points of failure !

The FTP filename is somewhat configurable and you can choose from combination of one or more of "Alarm Type", "Camera Name", "Capture Time" and "Plate No.". So you can get most info from the filename. Strangely although HikVision attempts to say if the capture is a Forward/Reverse/Unknown - there does not seem to be any way to get that out of the system. Same goes for it's attempt at saying what Country the plate is from.

Additionally, does anyone know if you can use the registration plate number as the file name instead of the time and date?

Additionally, does anyone know if you can use the registration plate number as the file name instead of the time and date?
Short answer - Yes.

The filename can be configured to be any one (or combination of 2 or more) of "Alarm Type", "Camera Name", "Capture Time" and "Plate No.". And if you choose more than one you can choose the order each element appears in the filename. So for example if you choose time followed by plate no. your filename would be something like:

20220328154823079_AB12CDE.jpg

Back